Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Post-Work out Exhaustion?  (Read 2212 times)

• Liked: 0
Post-Work out Exhaustion?
« on: May 02, 2011, 06:44:24 PM »
Hi everyone,

I've joined a gym about 6 weeks ago and now work out regularly about 3 times per week (yea go me!!)  I know I'm getting a good workout as I mix it up and do toning as well as aerobic/treadmill for a combined total of 60 minutes.  I hit the showers and then come home. However, when I get home, I am sooo tired, all I want to do is lie down and then I find out (3 hours later) that I fell asleep.  Otherwise I just sit in front of the TV for 2 or 3 hours without much energy to do anything else. And yes, sometimes even fall asleep in front of the tv as well.  I've tried to also change the time of day when I exercise, early morning and also late night but with no difference in results.  It sucks if I workout in the morning, I still come home and feel like going to sleep in the middle of day, not getting anything done. God forbid I work out at night, I literally find myself going to bed at 8.30 at night and getting up at 3 am or something.   ???
I am totally drinking tons of water, possibly 2 to 3 litres some days, so it can't be that.  I'm doing a moderation type diet (an older version of weight watchers) so it is a healthy balanced diet.  Help!  I don't know why I come home ready to fall asleep for 3 hours!!

thanks all,
Tulip
HSMP Granted 19 June 07
Expat to London 16 Aug 07
Move to Newcastle upon Tyne 21 April 08
FLR Granted under new Tier 1 visa 19 June 09

Re: Post-Work out Exhaustion?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 06:58:23 PM »
Have you tried a protein shake after your workout? They help with muscle fatigue and building muscle up. Myoplex does a RTD carb sense carton which might help, but some people don't want/tolerate that so generally the recommendation is to eat carbs within half an hour of a workout, have you tried eating a banana or something? I've seen chocolate milk recommended on lots of workout forums as it's a milk of various carbs and some protein.

If you're on a WW style diet you may not be getting enough protein and carbs to sustain your workouts, remember if you're exercising you need to up the amount of points you eat each day :)

• Heart...Captured
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 07:07:29 PM »
I second the protein shake recommendation.  I started working out on a Gazelle (ancient eliptical/skiing type workout machine) and I've worked up to a pretty fast (and exhausting) workout now.  I do my workout early in the morning so I'm a bit sluggish in the energy department anyway.  I have a protein shake afterwards and it does help a lot. 

• Liked: 2
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 09:06:24 PM »
Have you tried a protein shake after your workout? They help with muscle fatigue and building muscle up. Myoplex does a RTD carb sense carton which might help, but some people don't want/tolerate that so generally the recommendation is to eat carbs within half an hour of a workout, have you tried eating a banana or something? I've seen chocolate milk recommended on lots of workout forums as it's a milk of various carbs and some protein.

If you're on a WW style diet you may not be getting enough protein and carbs to sustain your workouts, remember if you're exercising you need to up the amount of points you eat each day :)

I read somewhere that a moderate glass of choc milk is supposed to help after a workout especially if you do weights somehow it is supposed to help repair your muscle's after a workout. I always have a banana before my workouts an afterwards I have an apple I am tired but not tired enough to fall asleep though when I get home. I totally don't have any problems getting to sleep on the nights when I have been to the gym that morning or in the afternoon. ;)  :)

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 08:44:42 AM »
When you sleep is when your body rebuilds itself and repairs muscle tissue, so if you are not used to exercising that much, it could be that your body just needs more sleep.

You could try scheduling a nap during the day, going to bed earlier and/or getting up later so that you are getting the sleep you need but it is not interfering with your schedule.

Also, do you go straight from exercising to no activity at all? Do you go straight from the gym to plopping yourself down on the comfy couch. You should try to remain moderately active - take a walk (fresh air is good) do some light housecleaning/straightening, etc., so you don't have a sudden drop in adrenalin.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 08:47:50 AM by sweetpeach »

• Liked: 2
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 09:14:44 AM »
When you sleep is when your body rebuilds itself and repairs muscle tissue, so if you are not used to exercising that much, it could be that your body just needs more sleep.

You could try scheduling a nap during the day, going to bed earlier and/or getting up later so that you are getting the sleep you need but it is not interfering with your schedule.

Also, do you go straight from exercising to no activity at all? Do you go straight from the gym to plopping yourself down on the comfy couch. You should try to remain moderately active - take a walk (fresh air is good) do some light housecleaning/straightening, etc., so you don't have a sudden drop in adrenalin.

When I'm done at the gym I go to the car an wait on Dh to get off work then we head home. I'm either on the computer or on the couch when we get home an I don't have any problems I guess to each there own. ;)  :)

• Liked: 0
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 07:20:55 PM »
Hi all
thanks for your posts.  I did my own little experiment, and I think I've nailed it.
I added all 3 protein, carb and fat,  which is present in one particular brand of protein shake that I have and I think that has helped the most.  The low fat choices and low carb choices didn't cut it and left me still sleepy.   So, I think the combination of all 3 helped me actually not fall asleep.
thanks again all!
HSMP Granted 19 June 07
Expat to London 16 Aug 07
Move to Newcastle upon Tyne 21 April 08
FLR Granted under new Tier 1 visa 19 June 09

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab