Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Kindles?  (Read 4640 times)

Kindles?
« on: May 09, 2011, 03:00:10 PM »
Mods, move if you wish.  I was wondering if anyone out there had a Kindle and if so, are you able to buy books off of both the US and the UK amazon sites?  I'm not the book junkie my husband is, but we both have found books that we are struggling to find in the UK but are on US amazon and vice versa.  I think it could be a useful tool if we move to the San Diego area.  I know that the books have to be produced for kindle in order to get them that way and we've looked at the ones we are interested in but I need to know if we can buy kindle editions off both amazon.com and amazon.co.uk no matter what country you are in.  Thanks in advance for any help or answers.  

• British by descent
  • Liked: 3
Re: Kindles?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 03:03:36 PM »
I have a Kindle and I have bought books off amazon.com and amazon.co.uk. I think you'll need a valid billing address for both countries (even if the book is free, but I could be wrong - I do have billing addresses on both accounts, though). You need to adjust your country's registration on the kindle, but that's it.
Moved to London February 5, 2010

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 03:05:19 PM »
Cool.  So as long as I have a US address I can buy amazon.com kindle books over here?  I think that's what you are saying, but I have jetlag brain so I need it spelled out like I'm five.   :)

• British by descent
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 03:10:27 PM »
Yeah, I've got my US amazon account linked to my house in NC (and US debit card). UK amazon linked to my address in London and UK bank account. Both work :), which allows me to pay in whatever currency makes the most sense (and take advantage of the various countries' freebies, when I remember to look them up).

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 04:05:31 PM »
YAY!!!!  Super!

• Yorkshire Yank
    • my blog
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 09:30:15 AM »
I have a Kindle, and I've kept my US Amazon account. I just never changed my address with Amazon, or changed my country of residence, and I've still just gone about purchasing books as normal the way I did in the US, no problems.
Fiancee visa approved 17 Dec. 2010
Arrived in UK 23 Dec. 2010
Married 26 April 2011
FLR(M) application posted 17 May 2011
Received Biometrics letter 28 May 2011
Biometrics done 8 June 2011
Biometrics Residence permit received 23 June 2011
SET(M) application posted 6 June 2013
Biometrics letter received 22 June 2013
Biometrics done 28 June 2013
Received my documents and letter that my BRP is being issued 6 July 2013

• Jennifer Knits
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 09:33:07 AM »
I have a Kindle, purchased in the UK, which I use with my US account. I've not tried purchasing UK ebooks.

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 04:21:38 PM »
I have a Kindle, purchased in the UK, which I use with my US account. I've not tried purchasing UK ebooks.

I have a Kindle, purchased in the US, but used in the UK - I started off using it with my US account, but now that they have introduced the Kindle/Kindle store on the UK Amazon website, it automatically defaults to my UK account... so I purchase books in GBP from the UK site now instead of the US site.

The only issue I had with buying it when I was in the US rather than having it shipped to the UK was that the screen got broken accidentally last year and although Amazon paid the shipping costs back to the US, they would only send the replacement to a US address (because it was originally shipped to a US address)... so I had to have it sent to my aunt's house instead of mine.

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 06:52:28 PM »
That's useful Ksand because if we buy here and move to the US that could be a problem if we needed a replacement. 

• Liked: 7
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011, 09:32:44 PM »
Yeah, I've got my US amazon account linked to my house in NC (and US debit card). UK amazon linked to my address in London and UK bank account. Both work :), which allows me to pay in whatever currency makes the most sense (and take advantage of the various countries' freebies, when I remember to look them up).

!!! HOW HAVE I NOT DONE THIS YET?! I thought that because your kindle is registered to your account, that you can't have it set up to be registered to two different countries... Are you saying I have to have 2 amazon accounts, one for US/one for UK, or that I can just have the one account linked to two addresses/two bank accounts?

Edit: Just tried the latter, and it said: "Kindle titles for your country are not available at Amazon.co.uk.  Please shop for Kindle titles at Amazon.com."
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 09:39:51 PM by PickledSakura »
2007-Short Term Student;   2010-T4;   2011-T1 PSW;   2013-FLR(M);    2015-ILR;    2016 - Citizenship (approved!)

• Jennifer Knits
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2011, 09:36:36 AM »
You need two amazon accounts - a US one with a US credit card and a UK one with a UK credit card. Digital purchases are governed by the country of CC.

• British by descent
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2011, 10:08:36 AM »
You need the two accounts, and then you need to switch the associated country for your Kindle (so I'm guessing right now it'd be linked to your UK account). To buy US books, you'd log in to your UK account, switch the Kindle to associate with the US, make sure it appears on your US account, and then get US books. :) Same procedure in reverse to switch back.

• Jennifer Knits
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2011, 10:19:45 AM »
And, just to clarify, this doesn't affect the books already loaded on the kindle?

• British by descent
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2011, 10:55:34 AM »
Nope, I have books on my Kindle that I've bought from both locations. :)

The one thing I don't know is about Amazon's TOS. I don't know if, as a permanent resident of the UK, I'm violating anything by switching accounts/locales to buy things in the US. It allows me to do it, so I'm guessing it's not an issue, but I haven't actually read through the entire legalese.

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2011, 11:56:03 AM »
Nope, I have books on my Kindle that I've bought from both locations. :)

The one thing I don't know is about Amazon's TOS. I don't know if, as a permanent resident of the UK, I'm violating anything by switching accounts/locales to buy things in the US. It allows me to do it, so I'm guessing it's not an issue, but I haven't actually read through the entire legalese.

I believe you are. I got a strongly worded email from Amazon whilst using a US kindle with US account in the UK and they banned me from shopping at the US kindle store whilst I was in the UK as a TOS breach (It wouldn't let me purchase anything at all).  I got the boy to call them up and tell them I was an American Citizen travelling in the UK and they unblocked it, but still...annoying :) If I'd been permanetly resident in the UK (I am but whatever) they wouldn't have unblocked it.

Right now I only have a US kindle Account, books seem to be cheaper on there anyway and I've not come across anything I want that isn't on the US store. You might get away with it a bit more if you're using wifi, I use 3G almost exclusively. Dunno, that's just speculation.

Also my US amazon account has my UK debit card attached, and my UK billing address, by a US shipping address attached. Not that that matters as Kindle books are obviously delivered electronically :)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab