Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Has anyone gotten married at City Hall in New York City? Needing Info -  (Read 2254 times)

• Liked: 0
Hi guys!

My BF and I will be leaving the UK at the end of this month to go to the States and we plan to get married at City Hall in New York City.

If you were married there, can you tell me about the process?

Did you apply for the licence online and  then afterword just show up to the nyc county clerk's office unnannounced with your online confirmation number?

Can you tell me the process of getting married at New York City Hall?

thank you!   :)

• Liked: 1
I've never gotten married there but I was the witness at a friend's ceremony and have looked into it.

You need to get a license at least 24 hours before the ceremony. So, on day 1 you have to go to the marriage bureau with your fiance and your IDs and the fee and apply for and receive the license. The next day (or later), you can go back for the ceremony but this time you need to bring at least one witness, who also has a valid photo ID. They do not take reservations for the ceremonies so after paying the ceremony fee and signing the papers, you go to a waiting room with the other couples and they call you when it's your turn. It took a couple hours for my friends to be called. The ceremony is performed by a judge and is very short. I don't think there is any personalization allowed and you can have up to 35 attendees, I believe. You receive your official, original marriage certificate immediately after the ceremony, which is nice.

Ah... I didn't realize there was a ceremony fee as well as the licence!  thanks for mentioning that!

I watched a few you tube videos on the City Hall weddings in NYC, and they really are not too romantic, are they? 

However, it serves it purpose because they give you the certificate right on the spot!

Can we actually apply for a marriage licence at NYC City Hall while in the UK before we leave?

I noticed they are not open on the weekends, and we are leaving the UK together late on the 30th and arriving very early friday morning. 

He is only staying 2 weeks and I don't want to wait until that Monday to get married and have the weekend to process the visa application online and get the package to the consulate Monday morning.

So can we fill out the form for the online marriage licence now or before the month is up from here?

You have to go in person at least 24 hours before the marriage ceremony to apply for the license. I think filling out the online form in advance is only a convenience but you have to go in person to get the license. You can apply for the license on June 30th and then have a ceremony on July 5th. The office will be closed on Monday for the 4th of July, as will the consulate and all of the biometrics offices you need to visit before submitting your visa package to the consulate. Alternatively, you can obtain your license and then ask a judge for a variance to the 24 hour rule but I'm not sure how that works and you can't be sure of success.

The fee for the ceremony is nominal. The last time I looked, the total fee for the ceremony and license was $50. All of this information is here: http://www.cityclerk.nyc.gov/html/marriage/marriage_bureau.shtml

OMG!  That's right, the 4th of July!  Darn!

I am SO glad you mentioned about getting the licence in person!

I thought you apply online and you automatically have it in thier system.  I didn't relize you had to pick it up personally.

Double checking...

Since we will be leaving the UK on June 30th and a 5 or 6 hour flight to nyc.

If we apply online and pay online on June 30th will the Marriage Licence BE THERE READY at the county clerk marriage beauro's office ready to be picked up in person either on June 30 or on Friday July 1st, the next day?

Then we wait till Tuesday, July 5th to have the ceremony at city hall and get our certificate?

(Glad I asked you this, thank you so much for thins information aimless!!)
I totally forgot about fourth of july holiday, everything closed!
:)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 04:42:03 PM by online_girl »

No, I'm sorry I looked at the calendar wrong, I thought the 30th was a Friday. When will you be arriving on the 30th? You can fill out the information online but you actually have to go to the office before the application will be processed.

From their website (emphasis mine):

Application Procedure
Listed below are the general steps and rules of the application process.

* You can submit an application online to the Office of the City Clerk via City Clerk Online. After submitting your application online, you must appear at the Office of the City Clerk to complete your application.
    * You and your prospective spouse must appear together in person to apply for a Marriage License.
    * Proxy marriage is not permitted in New York, so no other party may apply on behalf of the bride or groom.
    * You will receive the application from the information desk and you must complete the application in our office.
    * Your Marriage License will be processed while you wait.
    * You should carefully read your Marriage License to make sure there are no mistakes.
    * You will take the Marriage License with you when you leave our office.
    * You must wait a full 24 hours before your Marriage Ceremony can be performed unless you obtain a Judicial Waiver.

If you were arriving in the morning on the 30th, it might be conceivable to get to the office and apply for the license on the 30th. They are open from 8 AM to 3:45 PM Monday through Friday. You could then I suppose get married on Friday, July 1st. But keep in mind that you have to wait 24 hours from the license being issued. So if it's issued at 3 PM on the 30th, you'd have to wait until 3 PM on the 1st to appear to be married and they don't take reservations and they close at 3:45.

Sadly enough, we are flying June 30th LATE, After he gets home from work.

I have to check with him tonight for flight times, however it's most likley around 8 or 9 leaving the UK and we will arrive in the middle of the night in the USA on Friday July 1st.

So in the morning after we have slept, we can appear to pick up our licence at city hall with our ID's and we will have to wait Saturday, sunday and monday july 4th to be over with and I guess we just 'show up' at city hall before closing on July 5th with our licence for the ceremony and wait until our number is called?

All he needs for the licence is is passport I think...

Then after the ceremony, I am thinking we can finish up our spousal visa application, schedule the quickest biometrics appointment and submit.

Wow, Aimless, you just helped me plan the first week of being back in the USA with him, thank you for helping me...!!!  I feel better I have a plan now, with your help!!  omg thank you, the plan is finally clear!!!!  Thank you!

:) :) :)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 05:11:29 PM by online_girl »

• Liked: 2
You will need a witness also - dont forget that ;-)

After we pick up the Licence and wait 24 hours, Do we pay for the ceremony on the day we want to get married.... ?

Also, all he needs is his passport for ID?

Does he need to bring his divorce papers?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 12:47:41 PM by online_girl »

Yes, you pay for the ceremony the day of the ceremony.

He needs his divorce papers and his passport should suffice for ID. All of this is, again, very very clearly laid out on the website. It's very easy to find by googling "NYC marriage bureau."

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab