Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Finding a Dentist  (Read 1735 times)

• Liked: 0
Finding a Dentist
« on: April 06, 2003, 03:55:10 PM »
Being here permantly for the last 7 months, I recently realized that the one thing I have neglected doing is finding a dentist. I asked my husband about this, if it was as easy as picking one out of the yellow pages, or if I was going to have to go thru the hell I went thru trying to find a doctor. His response was,"Uh I don't know, give my dentist a call".....And I am thinking there has to be a little more to it then that.So if anyone has any tips I would love to hear them...
"I've always wanted to be somebody, but I see now I should have been more specific."
-Lily Tomlin

Re: Finding a Dentist
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2003, 09:08:03 PM »
That's pretty much what I did.  My husband his brother had an appointment together but the brother had moved on but hadn't cancelled the appointment.  So when my husband went in, I went with in his brother's place and registered then and had a check up.  I've been with them ever since.  I'm sure I was a bit lucky, but I'm sure I would've been able to get in anyway.  They've been pretty accommodating.

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2003, 11:00:08 AM »
It's notoriously difficult (in some areas) to find a dentist that will take on new NHS patients, cos there's very little money/incentive in it for the dentist.  So when you're phoning around local dentists, that's the first question i would ask:  "Are you taking on new NHS patients?".

If you're not planning on using NHS for dentistry and intend to pay privately anyway, then yes.. you can just pick one out of the phone book.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2003, 11:01:07 AM by Badger »

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2003, 08:45:59 PM »
I asked around for recommendations then called one.  They were luckily taking new NHS patients.  And I really like them.  It was all very easy for me (for a change!) - good luck to you!

• My reality check bounced.
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2003, 04:25:56 PM »
I hope this helps someone...but this is the link that I used to find a dentist.

http://www.nhs.uk/root/localnhsservices/default.asp?type=1 [nofollow]

• The Key to life is making the best of change.
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2003, 05:09:31 PM »
Hello,

You can call NHS Direct and they will tell you the name, number, and location of a dentitst in your area that is accepting NHS patients.  If they are not in your town they will try and find one close.  

NHS Direct:
08545 46 47

Cheers,
[smiley=daisy.gif]
We all have shadows of self doubt in the corners of our beings self respect is an ongoing prcoess of vigilance.  It means learning to be able to live by an internal compass. - Sara Lawrence Lightfoot

• From Texas to North Yorkshire
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2003, 02:54:07 AM »
Being here permantly for the last 7 months, I recently realized that the one thing I have neglected doing is finding a dentist. I asked my husband about this, if it was as easy as picking one out of the yellow pages, or if I was going to have to go thru the hell I went thru trying to find a doctor. His response was,"Uh I don't know, give my dentist a call".....And I am thinking there has to be a little more to it then that.So if anyone has any tips I would love to hear them...

Well...if anyone's in York and needs an NHS dentist, my dentist is still enrolling NHS patients.  She also works a half day on Saturdays.  Contact me privately for the name of the surgery and the phone number if you're interested.  I don't get paid or anything for referring patients; I just like helping out.  :D
« Last Edit: August 02, 2003, 02:55:34 AM by staceyturner »
Leave the matter of religion to the family altar, the church, and the private schools, supported entirely by private contributions. Keep the church and the state forever separated. -- Ulysses S. Grant

• Officially a UK Yank!! Established 2002
  • Liked: 38
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2004, 10:02:49 PM »
I have been visiting the NHS dentist here locally...my problem is the service that i have been receiving....i stopped having the dentist clean my teeth becz he did a crappy job..so instead i have the hygenist clean my teeth privately..but i dont think she does a good job either...eek..so i checked at boots and it is expensive to join ...anyone have better luck with dentist here?  
My home for 18 years since June 2002. Became a citizen 2006

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2004, 11:14:25 AM »
Our dentists here in Medway is great!  The boys see this lovely girl from Scotland and my dentist is from S. Africa, I think.  He's got a great "bedside" manner - and I needed it as I had to have an extraction the day before my wedding!  :o

From what I've read in the papers, we seem to be very lucky.

Which reminds me that it's time for everyones 6 month check up!  Gotta make a call.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

Sponsored Links