Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Amy Winehouse found dead at her home  (Read 2006 times)

Re: Amy Winehouse found dead at her home
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2011, 09:16:01 PM »
Our bad habits/ outbursts/strops just don't get strewn all over the tabloids/newspapers, like theirs do. :/

Sorry I have never taken class A drugs and flaunted it, I've never been so drunk while working on the job.... never shaved my hair off, never got a quick marriage divorce, never cheated on my wife (not that in married) with many women, never been DUI etc.
So my life wouldn't really get put all over the papers as I don't do those things... They chose to be in the limelight they chose there career and knew what they was getting into

Amy winehouse before she got famous was amazing I mean she looked like a average person and didnt seem to have any problems

• Liked: 163
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2011, 09:37:19 PM »
Sorry I have never taken class A drugs and flaunted it, I've never been so drunk while working on the job.... never shaved my hair off, never got a quick marriage divorce, never cheated on my wife (not that in married) with many women, never been DUI etc.
So my life wouldn't really get put all over the papers as I don't do those things... They chose to be in the limelight they chose there career and knew what they was getting into

Amy winehouse before she got famous was amazing I mean she looked like a average person and didnt seem to have any problems

As much as I agree with the sentiment that everyone is responsible for their own behavior, there's a lotta judgement there, dude.  Before I go badmouthing some random celebrity for the way they're living their life, I'd make sure there was nothing - and I mean nothing - I was doing that I wouldn't want spread all over the pages of The Sun.  Since that's not the case, I just stay quiet.

As to your original point about celebrities setting a bad/good example for children, I think we're way past that point, and have been for some time.  Amy Winehouse wasn't selling her ideas about how best to live your life; she was selling records.  To hold a celebrity responsible for anything other than the thing they're trying to sell you is unfair.  It's a parent's job to a) set an example for their children, and b) do their best to keep their children from looking up to screwup celebrities.

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2011, 09:44:10 PM »
As to your original point about celebrities setting a bad/good example for children, I think we're way past that point, and have been for some time.  Amy Winehouse wasn't selling her ideas about how best to live your life; she was selling records.  To hold a celebrity responsible for anything other than the thing they're trying to sell you is unfair.  It's a parent's job to a) set an example for their children, and b) do their best to keep their children from looking up to screwup celebrities.

I do agree with your point but not 100% because celebrities are everywhere and how is a parent meant to stop other children talking about it. The news and papers?
I mean it's all over the news all over facebook about Amy and what she did in her life... I think it can't completely be the parents fault but I also don't believe the celebrities should do it as they know it's wrong and there in the eyes of the public

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2011, 09:55:28 PM »
I do agree with your point but not 100% because celebrities are everywhere and how is a parent meant to stop other children talking about it. The news and papers?
I mean it's all over the news all over facebook about Amy and what she did in her life... I think it can't completely be the parents fault but I also don't believe the celebrities should do it as they know it's wrong and there in the eyes of the public

I'm not saying that it's completely the parents' fault if their kid looks up to Amy Winehouse and starts doing drugs and wearing too much eye makeup; some people are just bound and determined to do what they want to do no matter whether they've got good parents or screwup parents.

I still don't think celebrities are responsible for people looking up to them or copying their behavior.  As I said before, Amy Winehouse was selling music, not a lifestyle, and I think it's naive to expect someone in the public eye to behave any differently from the rest of us.

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2011, 10:05:44 PM »
I still don't think celebrities are responsible for people looking up to them or copying their behavior.  As I said before, Amy Winehouse was selling music, not a lifestyle, and I think it's naive to expect someone in the public eye to behave any differently from the rest of us.

Some celebrities do sell lifestyles and products thats the whole success of some celebrities.... you can smell like me, look like me, have make up like mine, you know how my wedding was, you know about my divorce.. i do believe they do self lifestyles.

I dont expect them to behave differently from us but then i expect them to live inside the law and get treated the same in courts etc...

• Liked: 387
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2011, 10:16:42 PM »
IMO, it's our own fault as a society that we worship these celebrities in the first place.

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2011, 10:21:05 PM »
Some celebrities do sell lifestyles and products thats the whole success of some celebrities.... you can smell like me, look like me, have make up like mine, you know how my wedding was, you know about my divorce.. i do believe they do self lifestyles.

For the celebrities that hold themselves up as lifestyle examples like Martha Stewart, Gwyneth Paltrow or Oprah Winfrey (couldn't think of a male one), I have no problem with the assertion that the life they're selling should be one that sets a good example for the people they're selling to.

For the ones endorsing products or selling photos of their wedding, that's no different than selling whatever they were famous for in the first place, so I stick by my earlier point.  I might buy a Mach 3 razor because Tiger Woods says it's good.  If the razor sucks I can legitimately be mad at Tiger for lying to me.  If, on the other hand, I cheat on my wife because Tiger Woods did it, he's not responsible for that; I am.

As Ms. Winehouse herself put it, "I didn't go out looking to be famous," Winehouse told the Associated Press when "Back to Black" was released. "I'm just a musician."

I dont expect them to behave differently from us but then i expect them to live inside the law and get treated the same in courts etc...

Expecting celebrities to live inside the law to a greater degree than non-celebrities is just asking to be disappointed.  As for getting treated the same in court, they get treated the same as any other rich person in court, but that's a rich justice v poor justice problem rather than one of celebrity.   :)

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2011, 10:32:52 PM »

I still go with the fact they sell there lifestyle or thats how they market it as be like them and many children/ teens will believe this as they feel its the way to become famous by doing what they see there idols doing....

an example of how children get over celebrities. Justin Bieber (personally hate the guy) but anyone he is close to gets death threats and he is idolised in such a way i think if he was do be seen doing drugs many people will follow

kids who want to be footballers will follow there idol and if they do something they feel its how they should act.

Public relations set it up so the celebrities are idolised

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2011, 10:34:18 PM »
Well, we could keep going around and around forever.  Rather than do that, I'll just say I see your point, but I disagree.   :)

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2011, 10:37:27 PM »
I still go with the fact they sell there lifestyle or thats how they market it

I think sometimes that's how it's perceived, but I don't think they make a conscious decision to market their lifestyles that way.

As for saying that famous people just shouldn't do drugs ... well, addiction is a complicated disease and one that requires a lot more thought and compassion than that.
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Unavailable for Comment.
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2011, 10:39:16 PM »
I really like how the Guardian put it "Despite the self-awareness in her lyrics, the singer's death – like Kurt Cobain's – was shocking in its awful predictability".

Such a loss for all of us, she was so talented.
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2011, 10:50:24 PM »
Well, we could keep going around and around forever.  Rather than do that, I'll just say I see your point, but I disagree.   :)

Agreed :)

• Liked: 63
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2011, 09:04:34 AM »
addiction is a terrible thing....and I know this from 1) a past marriage to an alcoholic and 2) having an adult child  - now aged 41 - who is an alcoholic.

Amy Winehouse was indeed a talented person, but for whatever reason, she chose drugs and alcohol as a means of coping with her personal demons, despite having the financial means to access treatment/rehab. By contrast, Eric Clapton, Ringo Starr and a host of other equally prominent celebrities made different choices.
Married December 1992 (my 'old flame' whom I first met in the mid-70s)
1st move to UK - 1993 (Letter of Consent granted at British Embassy in Washington DC)
ILR - 1994 (1 year later - no fee way back then!)
Back to US in 2000
Returned to UK July 2011 (Spousal Visa/KOL endorsement)
ILR - September 2011
Application for naturalization submitted July 2014
Approval received 15-10-14; ceremony scheduled for 10 November!
Passport arrived 25 November 2014. Finally done!

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2011, 09:09:11 AM »
but for whatever reason, she chose drugs and alcohol as a means of coping with her personal demons, despite having the financial means to access treatment/rehab.

She was in rehab at least three times, I think.
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2011, 02:50:53 PM »
well, addiction is a complicated disease and one that requires a lot more thought and compassion than that.

This.

As was said earlier in the thread, we don't know what happened to her behind closed doors.

Money and fame doesn't automatically make everything easy.

You can't say that Person A was able to get over their addiction, so Person B should have been able to get over theirs, because Person A and Person B are different individuals, and different things in their lives led to their addictions.

It's sad because the world has lost an amazing voice, but at least Amy is no longer in pain.

Sponsored Links