Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Any Jane Austen fanatics like myself?  (Read 5369 times)

• Makeup Guru & Anglophile
  • Liked: 0
Any Jane Austen fanatics like myself?
« on: July 24, 2011, 08:37:17 PM »
I'm sure there may be threads on here reguarding a most beloved author, but I want to post something current ;D So any Brits or expats with the same love for Ms. Austen? What's your favorite novel and why? Do you like any of the film adaptations of her stories? I personally love Pride and Prejudice the novel and the 2005 film with Keira Knightley. I'm sure there will be many people who prefer the BBC show and I will say that was a lovely series, however the film was IMHO absolutely beautiful. In my top 3 films of all time  ;D Anyway back to the novels.. Does anybody belong to a book club? Has your club read any of the books? I feel Jane was ahead of her time and it's shame she's not around today.
Met at 2012 London Olympics| Engagement 4-25-13| Married 7-30-13| Hired immigration lawyer 9-13 (waste of time)| Applied for Spousal Visa online 12-27-13| Biometrics completed 1-2-14| Spousal & dependent visas submitted 1-10-14| Application is being processed email 1-13-14| Decision has been made email 1-21-14| Received approved visas 1-24-14| Arrived in London 3-9-14 YAY!!

• On an Irish adventure, on the West coast of Clare!
  • Liked: 1
Re: Any Jane Austen fanatics like myself?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 07:24:54 AM »
I do really like Jane Austen.  I haven't read enough of her books to call myself a fanatic, but I have read Pride and Prejudice at least three times.  I watched the BBC series *many* times.  I prefer it to the 2005 film, but like that one, too.

I have seen many adaptations of Jane Austen's other books, and loved them, especially the more recent BBC adaptations.  It's the costumes and the interiors I love so much!

Have you been to the museum in Bath?  I haven't (didn't know about it at the time), but I have been to the Costume / Fashion museum there and there are quite a few lovely fashions of the Regency Era on display.
Met husband-to-be in Ireland July 2006
Married October 2007
Became a British citizen 21 July 2011
Separated from husband August 2014
Off on an Irish adventure October 2014

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 07:37:48 AM »
Have you been to the museum in Bath?  I haven't (didn't know about it at the time), but I have been to the Costume / Fashion museum there and there are quite a few lovely fashions of the Regency Era on display.

I've been to the museum! It's OK, but not great, in my opinion. I mean, if you're in Bath and have a couple of hours free, you might want to stop in. But I wouldn't make a special trip or anything.

Several years ago the Costume Museum had a special exhibition of all the costumes worn in television and film adaptations of Jane Austen's novels. That was really great! Great, but also a bit depressing to see how tiny they all were. Kate Winslet who, at the time, was always referred to as a "larger actress" (gag) was teensy! And don't get me started on the men. Alan Rickman, Colin Firth, etc. All so very small. The clothes were all in glass cases that were visible from all sides, so you could tell that nothing had been pinned or changed to look smaller either.

Anyway, I do love Austen and have read them all several times. My book group did Emma this year - not my choice but it's still good; just not my favourite. I don't think you can beat Persuasion.
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 07:44:21 AM »
I agree about the museum in Bath.  Disappointing. 

I also agree about Persuasion.  My favourite.  I even like the adaptation with Rupert Penry-Jones, though I keep wishing that Anne would just *wash her hair* already!  She's supposed to be faded, not greasy.
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

• On an Irish adventure, on the West coast of Clare!
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 07:50:41 AM »
I've been to the museum! It's OK, but not great, in my opinion. I mean, if you're in Bath and have a couple of hours free, you might want to stop in. But I wouldn't make a special trip or anything.

Several years ago the Costume Museum had a special exhibition of all the costumes worn in television and film adaptations of Jane Austen's novels. That was really great! Great, but also a bit depressing to see how tiny they all were. Kate Winslet who, at the time, was always referred to as a "larger actress" (gag) was teensy! And don't get me started on the men. Alan Rickman, Colin Firth, etc. All so very small. The clothes were all in glass cases that were visible from all sides, so you could tell that nothing had been pinned or changed to look smaller either.

Anyway, I do love Austen and have read them all several times. My book group did Emma this year - not my choice but it's still good; just not my favourite. I don't think you can beat Persuasion.
Oh chary--so jealous!!  I wish I had seen that exhibit!  Next time I'm in Bath (whenever that will be!) I'll stop into the museum.  
Met husband-to-be in Ireland July 2006
Married October 2007
Became a British citizen 21 July 2011
Separated from husband August 2014
Off on an Irish adventure October 2014

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 11:12:16 AM »
Oooh I love Jane Austin! And I didn't know about this museum at all. We've been debating where (in country) we should go for a quick holiday... Now I know! And I wish I could have seen the costume exhibit!

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 10:19:30 PM »
Thanks for the heads up on the museum! Will just concentrate on Bath itself. DH had been to Bath in his early childhood, and it's one of the many, many places we want to go to. Now....just where are our spare pennies?! :\ Oh well! ;)

I like the BBC versions of the books rather than reading them. Very unusual for me, as I can visualize the scenes and character most other books, but not Ms Austen's! I think it's just part of my own general wieirdness! ;)
Amor Vinicit Omnia=Love Conquers All.

• Liked: 3
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 10:46:40 PM »
I lived in Bath and I never went to the museum, but that's because I never read any of her stuff.  :-X  No particular reason, really, just never did! However, I was always interested in the fact that she only lived there for a brief period and actually didn't enjoy it. She really disliked the party atmosphere that Beau Nash created in the town. Funny enough, I only learned about that on one of the many walking tours I went on. Bath does love to use her as a claim to fame! 

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2011, 11:15:03 PM »

Chary, I pretty much agree with everything in your post, and especially about "Persuasion," but with regard to the museum, I must part ways with you just a bit.   IMO, if you're in Bath, and have absolutely no knowledge of Jane Austen and suddenly feel the need to learn a bit about her, if you have a couple of minutes free,  and don't mind wasting £7.50 you might want to stop in. 

The costume museum is fantastic.  I saw that same exhibit and it was great.  Here is a link to some pictures from the Museum of Costumes.

Also, www.pemberley.com is a great site for Austen fans.  Check out the meeting section.  UK Pemberleyans get together a couple times a year for Austen-themed activities. 
“I haven't got the slightest idea how to change people, but still I keep a long list of prospective candidates just in case I should ever figure it out.” ~David Sedaris

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2011, 11:22:45 PM »
if you have a couple of minutes free,  and don't mind wasting £7.50 you might want to stop in. 

HAHA! You're right. It doesn't really take more than a few minutes. But maybe the walking time from your hotel or B&B might mean it would take an hour. Or not.  :-\\\\
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2011, 05:23:41 AM »
Loving all the responses to this thread gals! No I haven't been to the museum, but I've been aware of it for years! I love Jane Austen and I will be dragging my gorgeous, sweet Englishman to Bath on my visit there in a month ;D I agree Persuassion is a marvelous novel and the film is superb! I think Ciarian Hinds makes a ravishing Captain Wentworth haha. But by far Pride and Prejudice is my favorite, not because it's popular, but for the sheer fact that it's brilliantly written and really breaks down stereotypes! :)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 01:24:51 AM by LittleMissSarcasm »
Met at 2012 London Olympics| Engagement 4-25-13| Married 7-30-13| Hired immigration lawyer 9-13 (waste of time)| Applied for Spousal Visa online 12-27-13| Biometrics completed 1-2-14| Spousal & dependent visas submitted 1-10-14| Application is being processed email 1-13-14| Decision has been made email 1-21-14| Received approved visas 1-24-14| Arrived in London 3-9-14 YAY!!

• Unavailable for Comment.
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2011, 08:12:07 PM »
I adore Austen. My favorite is Mansfield Park. So much drama!
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2011, 10:02:01 PM »
I adore Austen. My favorite is Mansfield Park. So much drama!

Mansfield Park is marvelous ;D Good choice Ashley!

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2011, 12:26:12 PM »
I have an annotated version of P&P which I have to recommend. It tells you so much about the little things that would have made sense at the time it was written but which just go over our heads now. Love it!

• Unavailable for Comment.
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2011, 02:24:05 PM »
I have an annotated version of P&P which I have to recommend. It tells you so much about the little things that would have made sense at the time it was written but which just go over our heads now. Love it!

Oooh! I'd like that.

I have the complete collection sitting in a box back in the states. I wonder if I can find it next time I'm there.

Slightly off topic, has anyone read some of the parody novels? Pride and Prejudice and Zombies is really very amusing. I've not read the Sense and Sensibility one but the Mr Darcy, Vampire novel is good too.
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

Sponsored Links