Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Failure to file a US tax return is subject to a $10,000 fine for each year.  (Read 5160 times)

• Liked: 163
Re: Failure to file a US tax return is subject to a $10,000 fine for each year.
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2011, 07:47:04 PM »
He said whether you have any income or not.  You don't need to file if you have 0 income.

Ah, I'm with you now.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2011, 09:59:59 PM »
I know that is the case if you are living in the US but if you are out of the country you have to file income or not.
Maybe I'm wrong but based on the aggressive methods of the IRS? I would be checking this out.

• Liked: 31
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2011, 10:28:43 PM »
You are not correct. The minimum filing threshold is for everyone.
Arrived as student 9/2003; Renewed student visa 9/2006; Applied for HSMP approval 1/2008; HSMP approved 3/2008; Tier 1 General FLR received 4/2008; FLR(M) Unmarried partner approved (in-person) 27/8/2009; ILR granted at in-person PEO appointment 1/8/2011; Applied for citizenship at Edinburgh NCS 31/10/2011; Citizenship approval received 4/2/2012
FINALLY A CITIZEN! 29/2/2012

• Liked: 14
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2011, 10:39:08 PM »
Okay I admit this thread has me confused. lol  ;D
I thought that regardless of what you make you had to file a federal tax return even if you don't owe anything..
I've been here in Scotland over 12 years now and have every year without fail filed a tax return even though all my income here in Scotland falls below the minimum for having to be double taxed. All my income ends up being on the foreign earned income exclusion.
Hopefully someone can straighten me out lol. I thought that as long as you maintain US citizenship you have to file a tax return? ..

• Liked: 31
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2011, 10:45:54 PM »
There are two different thresholds. There is a minimum income for having to file, which is only a very few thousand dollars. If you make less than that (eg a stay at home mum or only work part time), you don't have to file. Then there is the income exclusion threshold. If you make over the minimum threshold but under the exclusion threshold you have to file but don't have to pay. Is that clearer?
Arrived as student 9/2003; Renewed student visa 9/2006; Applied for HSMP approval 1/2008; HSMP approved 3/2008; Tier 1 General FLR received 4/2008; FLR(M) Unmarried partner approved (in-person) 27/8/2009; ILR granted at in-person PEO appointment 1/8/2011; Applied for citizenship at Edinburgh NCS 31/10/2011; Citizenship approval received 4/2/2012
FINALLY A CITIZEN! 29/2/2012

• Liked: 14
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2011, 10:49:18 PM »
Hiya
Yep that makes it clearer.. Thats what i thought but didn't put it very clearly .. im over the minimum threshold but under the exclusion threshold. Cos as a NHS nurse im never going to make over the threshold ;)
Ta Much

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2011, 01:19:12 AM »
If there are questions in your mind maybe a call to the American Embassy would do the trick. Again, keep notes in case something comes up down the line.

• Liked: 5
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2011, 03:41:59 AM »
If there are questions in your mind maybe a call to the American Embassy would do the trick. Again, keep notes in case something comes up down the line.

Or maybe you should't post when you aren't sure of the context? I am not sure the aim of working people up with misinformation.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2011, 08:20:00 AM »
Like I said yesterday, the 1040 Instructions clearly state that if you make under the minimum threshold you do not need to file.

So for example:

IF your filing status is single AND you are under 65 and your gross income was at least $9,350 then you must file. 

So if you are not earning more than that you do not need to file.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040a.pdf

You probably should, as I mentioned earlier, but you do not have to.

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2011, 02:55:16 AM »
Or maybe you should't post when you aren't sure of the context? I am not sure the aim of working people up with misinformation.
So you are sure that this information is incorrect? Your source please.

• Liked: 5
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2011, 03:29:45 AM »
So you are sure that this information is incorrect? Your source please.

How about the links that have already been posted in this thread?  Or how about your own article?  The article states the correct information:

Under U.S. law, they are also supposed to disclose their financial accounts if the total value is above $10,000, including bank accounts, RRSPs, TFSAs, and RESPs.
and
U.S. legislation allows for fines of up to $10,000 per offence per year for non-wilful failure to disclose financial holdings.

The article states the correct information which is the FBAR reporting form can end in a fine but what you posted which was:
Some people are happy to become US citizens but if they move to a foreign country they find they have to file a tax return each year whether they made any income or not. Failure to file can lead to penalties of up to $10,000 per year for each year.

It is not the tax return that ends in the fine. Giving people misinformation then telling them to call the Embassy for them to confirm is really not on.  Taxes are confusing enough without adding to it.

« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2011, 03:38:57 PM »
Lets drop it, OK?

If what other's haven't posted was enough, here it is from the official US Source for US Citizens/Residents living in the UK. From the US Embassy in London:

Filing Requirement for U.S. Citizens or Resident Aliens

A U.S. citizen or resident alien is annually required to report world-wide income, subject to income thresholds. The following table shows the requirements for each filing status for the last three years. If your income was below the income limit for your filing status, you are not required to file a US federal income tax return for that year.

• When in doubt, the answer's always tea!
    • Tea in England

You are exactly right Sara. This person shouldn't post. He's a British expat living in the US and I cannot think for the life of me what his motive is to post this or anything else he posts over here.

He's very active over at BritishExpats.com (in a particular forum where there is quite a bit of America/American bashing going on). I should know; I just left the forum (had been a prolific contributor over there for years) after I finally couldn't take it any longer.

The poster in question is known for copying-and-pasting messages from this forum (especially controversial ones) to the BE forum. I have had to mention to him once over there that it is unacceptable to do things like that without the original poster's permission but I recently noticed that he has done it again.

The mods over there have said something to him after I complained. Perhaps the mods over here should remind him about cross-posting, as well?
04/03 – Met UKC online
07/04 - Married UKC/lived in UK 1 mo.
11/04 - Moved to US 
11/08 - UKC husband received USC
03/10 - Decided to return to UK
04/10 – Received UK Spouse Visa (KOL REQ)
08/10 – Returned to UK to live; took KOL
12/10 - Received ILR
11/13 - Received British Citizenship

• Makeup Guru & Anglophile

You are exactly right Sara. This person shouldn't post. He's a British expat living in the US and I cannot think for the life of me what his motive is to post this or anything else he posts over here.

He's very active over at BritishExpats.com (in a particular forum where there is quite a bit of America/American bashing going on). I should know; I just left the forum (had been a prolific contributor over there for years) after I finally couldn't take it any longer.

The poster in question is known for copying-and-pasting messages from this forum (especially controversial ones) to the BE forum. I have had to mention to him once over there that it is unacceptable to do things like that without the original poster's permission but I recently noticed that he has done it again.

The mods over there have said something to him after I complained. Perhaps the mods over here should remind him about cross-posting, as well?

It's so funny you say this because in this thread http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=72007.15 basically taking a dig at me.. I don't like to bash people on here, so when he came at me in this nature I felt the need to set himstraight in a mature manner. I think this particular individual has a tendency to be rude.. That's just my opinion though..
Met at 2012 London Olympics| Engagement 4-25-13| Married 7-30-13| Hired immigration lawyer 9-13 (waste of time)| Applied for Spousal Visa online 12-27-13| Biometrics completed 1-2-14| Spousal & dependent visas submitted 1-10-14| Application is being processed email 1-13-14| Decision has been made email 1-21-14| Received approved visas 1-24-14| Arrived in London 3-9-14 YAY!!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab