Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Visa trip to NYC April 16, 2003  (Read 1728 times)

Visa trip to NYC April 16, 2003
« on: April 17, 2003, 01:52:55 AM »
Hi All,

I wanted to share our experience just in case anyone is heading to NYC for a spouse visa in the near future. I live in Maryland so we headed to the NY Consulate (DC now longer does Visa's which is a bummer since we are 30 miles from the Capital).

We arrived at the office at 7am on Wednesday (try to avoid Monday's and Friday's if you can so we were told). There were only two other couples already in line, they let us in the building at 8am, we went through security and then to the 10th floor where you can have a seat. There are no numbers to take so watch your place in line while everyone waiting early is respectful, others that come in around 9 seem confused and stand near a window waiting to open, I think this happens because the set up is not very good as to where the line should really form. Anyway, we were called to the window at about 9:10 and while the young woman was very nice we had one blip.....since my husband gave up his rental agreement to come over for a 90 day holiday to be here with me we had to have his parents send a letter of accomidation for our return AS WELL AS a letter from their attorney stating that their house was paid for. The woman said we needed a copy of the deed...we explained that the letter explained that the house was freehold but she continued to ask if we could have the deed faxed...(I was so upset because I had everything in a binder with clear sleaves and even checklist referrencing every item from the website in exact order) but luckily Richard took over and explained again that his parents house was paid for as explained in the letter....she left for a few minutes and came back saying that her line manager approved the document from the attorney. We were so relieved!! We paid our fee and were told to come back in 60-90 mins to pick up my passport with the visa stamp. We went to breakfast and came back and quickly picked it up....no problems, except they spelled my first name Julie as Jolie which I freaked about because we all know the technicalities that they can get you on but I was reassured that as long as my passport # and birthdate were correct (which they were) I would have no problems.

Also-I noticed that my Visa is good for 2 years which I didn't think that extension from 1 yr to 2yrs had yet to take effect...so thats great news too!

We were so excited that it went smoothly!

Here is a good thing to remember:

As everyone knows, bring more documents than you need, I printed out their website regarding spouse visas and showed her the clause under "Evidence of accomidation-Title deeds (OR a letter from the organization holding the deeds)".

Not sure if that proved our case because they can always say that the website is subject to change without notice but I know I felt better having it with me.

Anyway, good luck to anyone venturing to the NYC consulate...if you are well prepared it should be a breeze!

• Liked: 1
Re: Visa trip to NYC April 16, 2003
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2003, 06:13:44 AM »
Jules,

Thank you for sharing your experience! I am soooo glad to hear that you had a good experience.  You can't imagine the relief it is to know that it's not that bad.  What is amazing to me is how it compares to the US immigration.  

After our experiences getting my husband over here I stress out about our going back to the UK one day.  US immigration is a bit of a nightmare and that's with a finance visa!

I am also happy to know that you got in for two years.

Which resources and websites did you find the most useful in helping you to gather all of your documentation?  

Any idea how much money you need to have saved?  We are saving up now in case I don't get transferred with my company and I always wonder how much is enough....

Sorry for all the questions.. ;D I tend to go on and on and on..... ::)  
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2003, 03:25:26 PM »
Hi Vnicepeeps,

I so know what you mean about US immigration...its terrible!My husband came over in Jan on a 90 day waiver free visa (he had tried since November to get a vistor visa while still in England but they kept changing the goal post, it was unbelievable)! Anyway, he came over in mid Jan, in early Feb we filled out a form to ask for a 30 day extension....$120 later we found out it was the wrong form. We got married on in late March and then when we returned from our honeymoon we went to the INS in Baltimore to beg for an extension they told us if we could get his landing card back (orginal) which was still at the Vermont processing center they would give us a 30 day emergency stay.....the person there helped us get it back via the mail in a week so we run back to the INS excited we will get another 30 days...ONLY to get there and hear a different story, that we had to write to the Port Director at BWI...yes the same woman that was so helpful all of the sudden had a new story...I was in tears! I had had enough and stated that I was going to have a meltdown!! She let us hand write a letter and we are still waiting. Needless to say after our horrible US experience I was a wreck about getting my paperwork completed with the UK.

Back to the UK consulate experience-Of course this website is wonderful! It really helps hearing about what others went through also use the www.britainusa.com site (print your portion out and take it with you).  As for money, I read from someone on here that a bank statement with not alot of money in her account and it was acceptable....it  also worked for us since our accounts are pretty weak at the moment given everything we are trying to do with the move. I also brought my most recent paystub as well as my resume so they could see I was employable.  I too may get a postion with my current employer on a project over there since its still in the works I didn't mention it because I was worried they would say to come back when that was settled.  Be prepared but don't pull out your trump card unless needed....:)

I hope this helps and if you have any other questions let me know.

Jules

• Give all to love, Obey thy Heart - R.W. Emerson
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2003, 03:36:31 PM »
As everyone knows, bring more documents than you need.
Anyway, good luck to anyone venturing to the NYC consulate...if you are well prepared it should be a breeze!

we also applyed in NY back on feb. 13th. so i would have my fiance visa for valentine's day. being overprepared was the best thing for us. although i felt a bit silly when the officer was sorting out the documents and he kept handing papers/pictures/etc back over to us.

it was one trip to NYC i will truly never forget....

(i lived in MD too, going to DC would have been SO much easier!)
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. ~ {Chinese Proverb} ~

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2003, 05:19:30 PM »
Do they do the processing in DC too?  I thought it was only in New York....

Might be easier to fly into DC...

Does anyone know the locations in the US on the East Coast where you can get the Visa?

Thanks!

Pamela
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

• Garden Butterflies
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2003, 05:39:00 PM »
vnicepeeps,

sorry to say that DC is no longer a viable place.  They stopped taking visa applications for the UK, June 10, 2002.   I believe Jules and Magpie where feeling the same frame of mind as myself about them closing the DC office...  sarcastic and dissapointed... Knowing how much easier it would be at the DC office for all of us.

There are only 3 places left in the states that you can go to for visa's...  NYC (for the east coast), Chicago (for the midwest) and Los Angeles (for the west)  makes it a bit difficult for those that do not live close to either...  I guess I should be thankful that Maryland is only a few hours from NYC.

Shel
Logic is one thing, it keeps us in control!
But the heart only knows one, which is the  
depths of our soul!

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2003, 08:31:28 PM »
Hey.. thanks for the information!  I guess I can handle a trip to NYC... good excuse for a little get-a-way!

Pam

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2003, 05:38:33 AM »
I noticed a Marriott Courtyard Hotel right across from the Consulate which may be a good place to stay so you can wake up, shower and get in line early.

The consulate address is:

845 3rd Ave between 51st and 52nd st
New York, 10022

Good luck...be prepared and everything will go smoothly! :)

Jules

• Give all to love, Obey thy Heart - R.W. Emerson
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2003, 04:01:18 PM »

I guess I should be thankful that Maryland is only a few hours from NYC. Shel

those were my thoughts exactly when i made the choice to apply for my visa in person!
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. ~ {Chinese Proverb} ~

• NYState_of_Mind
  • FAMILIE, GOD & VADERLAND! Zonder de een heb je niet de anderen!!

• Never forget what it MEANS to be an AMERICAN...
    • Uncover Fahrenheit for what it is
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2003, 01:55:34 AM »
I just got back from NY and my fiancee visa was one the things on my list to accomplish.  I heard so many horror stories and thought for sure I would get into some kind of argrument or something especially with Belgium Beer not being there with me to calm my butt down.

I live very close to the city so I made a day out of it by doing wedding stuff, some clothes shopping, etc.  Got there about 10'ish or so.  Went to the "fast check line" (I think that's what it was called) and had a conversation that didn't even last 15 minutes.  Gave the guy the necessary documents (and did not even bother to bring any personal items with me like records of phone bills, emails between us, cards, photos, airline ticket stubs.  Nothing.)  Gave them basically the letter of support from my honey, a certified copy of his passport, the rental agreement for our apartment, a copy of our savings account statement, and copies of our contracts from the various vendors we have hired for our wedding in NY (videographer, bridal coordinator, photographer, the band, the ensemble, reception hall, receipt of my gown, etc.).  He said fine you're good to go.  Come back in an hour to pick up your passport.  8)  

No horrible experiences here.  We did my visa on-line which I found really easy and convenient.  The funny thing is I worked across the street from the consultate for 2 years and never even thought I would step foot in there.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile--hoping it will eat him last."Forgiveness is up to God. I just hope we hurry up the meeting." 02.08.03, Gen. Schwarzkoph It's the SILENT MAJORITY that COUNTS not the LOUD MINORITY that CONSTANTLY WINES! http://www.leftnuts.com/images/fu_marines1.jpg
www.protestwarrior.com Proud Member of the V.R.W.C.

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2003, 06:24:09 AM »
Excellent! I am glad to hear that you had a good experience as well!

Seems getting to Britain to be with a loved one is alot easier than the folks going in the opposite direction.

Take care and good luck with your new life in Britain!

:D

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2003, 09:37:37 AM »
NY state of mind.  When you say the "fast check line", were you able to use this because you applied online?.  Where did you apply online?.  I checked the UK visas site but didn't see an online option unless I wasn't looking in the right place.  Your experience there seems completely different than what I have been seeing and hearing (have to get there early, wait for hours etc).  It seems like you strolled in and out, good for you and I am hoping to do the same too. ;D

I plan to make the trip up to NY in the next couple of months and I am trying to get everything figured out before I make the journey.  I really don't want make two trips there from FL.

• NYState_of_Mind
  • FAMILIE, GOD & VADERLAND! Zonder de een heb je niet de anderen!!

• Never forget what it MEANS to be an AMERICAN...
    • Uncover Fahrenheit for what it is
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2003, 11:47:51 AM »
Hi Redtwin,

Here's the link I used for the online application:

http://www.britainusa.com/ny/

Go to the visa section and answer the question "Do I need an Entry Clearance" and it will take you through the process.  My fiance and I did it within 10 minutes, paid the fee online, printed it out and it was completed.  All I had to do was go to the office on 3rd Avenue.

I also used this link to find the Spouses INF 4 information leaflet.  I couldn't find it for sh*t in the other link.  All it is
a summary of what you wil need to do if you wish to settle in the UK as the spouse, finace or fiancee or the unmarried mpartner of someone who is coming to the UK or is already settled in the UK.  

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagename=OpenMarket/Xcelerate/ShowPage&c=Page&cid=1006977149953

And yes, that "Fast Check Line" is for online visa applications only.  I truly recommend you do it online.  Gather up all your needed documents to support the visa and if you have everything in order it should be a snap.

Good luck to you.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile--hoping it will eat him last."Forgiveness is up to God. I just hope we hurry up the meeting." 02.08.03, Gen. Schwarzkoph It's the SILENT MAJORITY that COUNTS not the LOUD MINORITY that CONSTANTLY WINES! http://www.leftnuts.com/images/fu_marines1.jpg
www.protestwarrior.com Proud Member of the V.R.W.C.

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2003, 05:06:36 PM »
Thanks for the links and info.  That route looks very appealing, however paying online up front has me balking just a bit.  The reason is, I read that when you apply in person they look through your application then let you know whether it is likely or un-likely to be approved.  After that you get the option of paying your non-refundable fee to submit the application, or withdrawing the application and saving yourself a few hundred dollars.

I suppose as the time draws nearer and I feel more confident in the process I can decide which route to take.

Take care and thanks again for the prompt helpful reply.

Sponsored Links