Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: kindle fire  (Read 3180 times)

• Liked: 0
kindle fire
« on: December 19, 2011, 07:46:11 PM »
Hi --

My father wants to give me a kindle fire for Christmas. (I'm in the US now.) I was wondering though - do any of you know if it will actually work in the UK? (I have a US and UK billing address, so I'm not worried about using the amazon kindle store.) I'm more interested in knowing if the other things on the kindle fire will work. Will I be able to watch movies while in the UK for instance?

I would love to know if any of you know anything about this.

Re: kindle fire
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 08:25:49 PM »
Okay I was bored and did some research for you. From the best I can tell as of right now many of the cooler functions on the fire (i.e. music/streaming videos/etc...) probably will not work in the UK right now.

"However, once you’ve got the Kindle Fire in your English clutches, will it actually work? It’s a mixed bag truth be told, and several rather critical features don’t look like they’ll work in the UK, at least according to Amazon’s customer service.

Specifically, the tablet itself can be used without problem in the UK. The streamed media it relies on, however, are mostly inaccessible. You can’t download new apps to the device and you can’t download movies or use TV features. You can use the web browser and purchase books however, so if you’re looking just to use the same features as the traditional Kindle you’ll be alright. Of course if that’s the case, then you may as well buy a traditional e-ink Kindle, and not go through the hassle of getting the Fire shipped to the UK in the first place."

You can read that article in full here: http://thranblog.info/post/13172119551/kindle-fire-in-the-uk-can-you-wait-if-not-read-on

Then I read that the Fire is rumored to be coming to the UK soon in the new year. I HATE quoting the Daily "Fail" but here is that article: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2071007/Cheaper-Amazon-Kindle-Fire-hit-UK-January-Christmas-hold-iPad.html

Even when it is released in the UK you might not be able to stream US videos from the cloud due to copyright and all that BS.

I noticed that several people emailed Amazon your specific question and all they got in reply was "The Kindle Fire is currently unavailable for sale outside the US." They did not address whether it would work outside of the States or not.

You, honestly, might ask your Father to get you a gift card or something so that when it comes out in the UK you can just get it then.

I apologize that I am unable to give you a more definite answer but after 30 minutes of looking that is the best I could come up with!  ;D

Best of luck to you. If you do find a better answer please keep us posted.
Love,

MikeyMike

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 08:56:54 PM »
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200729430

I'm kind of pissed about this since I just bought boyfriend a Kindle fire for his birthday. 

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 10:07:44 PM »
I think the OP should wait until the Fire is released in the UK just to be safe. The fire seems pretty useless for anything other than reading books without the cloud and with only 4GB of memory not that many movies/tv shows can be held at any one time.
Love,

MikeyMike

• Liked: 3
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 04:33:24 PM »
I almost bought myself one when I was over there.....glad I didn't after reading this!
"We don't want our chocolate to get cheesy!"

• Liked: 3589
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 07:42:31 PM »
I almost bought myself one when I was over there.....glad I didn't after reading this!

Same here - I was seriously considering buying one when I was in the US over Thanksgiving, but now I'm glad I didn't jump in head first and buy one without checking whether it would work properly over here!

• my lampwork art
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 08:03:53 PM »
Same here - I was seriously considering buying one when I was in the US over Thanksgiving, but now I'm glad I didn't jump in head first and buy one without checking whether it would work properly over here!

Ha!  I was just looking at buying one when I was back home over Thanksgiving, too!  I did a little research (since I was confused as to why Amazon.co.uk didn't have them for sale) and came to the same conclusion:  they won't work over here.  Hopefully Amazon will devise a similar product as I loooooooove my Kindle but I'm dying for a Kindle Fire :D
Relocated from Florida to Folkestone in 2005!

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 03:18:21 PM »
Oh, dear! Thanks for looking into all of that for me - it seems to confirm the research I did on it.

The problem is my father has already bought me (and my sister - who lives in Japan) kindle fires. He's very proud of it, and he just told me because my boyfriend bought me a (British) kindle for Christmas. He gave it to me before I left to go to the US for Christmas. My father and I agreed that I would give my father my regular kindle in exchange for the kindle fire.

I've talked about it with my mother, and she's suggested not saying anything about it to him and hoping that it will work eventually in the UK. My sister is probably in a worse situation with it than me.

I love my new kindle, and I'm worried the kindle fire - while in colour - won't have the nice page colour that makes reading so enjoyable on the regular kindle. The battery also won't last as long. I'm hoping that I'll be able to at least get audio books on the kindle fire, which might be nice...

Many thanks again.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 839
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 03:12:48 PM »
Right, just resurrecting this topic, as I really like the Kindle Fires

Does anyone have a Kindle Fire? Any more up to date reviews on how well it does in the UK?  Is it still not worth it? 
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 4
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 03:15:45 PM »
I'm not in the UK but I love my Kindle Fire!

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 03:20:45 PM »
G, have you taken it with you outside of the US yet? 
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 4
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012, 03:25:03 PM »
Yep, I used it when I went to London in January.  I don't have 3G or anything, so I just connected to the hotel's Wifi.  It was great. Loved it for reading on the plane.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2012, 03:37:14 PM »
Yep, I used it when I went to London in January.  I don't have 3G or anything, so I just connected to the hotel's Wifi.  It was great. Loved it for reading on the plane.

Good stuff.   I travel so much, I have been wanting a tablet, those look great to me.   
Exploring other options as well... 
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 1
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2012, 03:38:59 PM »
DF ordered one for his parents for Christmas, delivered it to my house and took it back with him after Thanksgiving. They love it and use it all the time.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2012, 03:41:17 PM »
Thanks PP, do they have any issues with the streaming? 
You're stuck with me!

Sponsored Links