Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 187743 times)

• Liked: 57
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #3525 on: February 14, 2017, 03:04:26 PM »
One year later nearly and I'm still pluggng my way through GoT.....But soon! I am nearly there! hah
I haven't watched any of the series, but I've read all the books. I love me some epic high fantasy! However, they get published so infrequently that I pretty much have to re-read them each time a new one comes out!
Met at Disneyland Paris: spring 1995
Dated long distance: off & on 2008-2014
Our twin boys were born: Sep 2009
Engaged: Oct 10 2014
Married: December 5 2014
Online Application & paid PRIORITY Submitted: Dec 22 2014
Visa Received: Jan 14 2015
Arrived in the UK: Feb 28 2015
FLR(M) application mailed: Sep 12 2017
FLR(M) approved: Oct 27
SET(M) application submitted: Feb 4 2020 (super priority)
SET(M) appointment: Mar 9
SET(M) approved: Mar 10
Naturalisation app submitted: Jun 19
No biometrics needed email: July 23

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #3526 on: February 14, 2017, 03:06:06 PM »
I haven't watched any of the series, but I've read all the books. I love me some epic high fantasy! However, they get published so infrequently that I pretty much have to re-read them each time a new one comes out!

I never used to enjoy reading sci-fi or fantasy but as I've gotten older, I've found more of an appreciation for it I think and am really enjoying GoT...but my problem is I've watched the show and am up-to-date so it's difficult reading the bits that happen in the show as I already know the likely outcome haha
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 68
« Reply #3527 on: February 16, 2017, 02:15:27 AM »
I never used to enjoy reading sci-fi or fantasy but as I've gotten older, I've found more of an appreciation for it I think and am really enjoying GoT...but my problem is I've watched the show and am up-to-date so it's difficult reading the bits that happen in the show as I already know the likely outcome haha
Other than the first book/series, I found the show deviated away from the books greatly so I wouldn't worry about that! The show might be great visual entertainment but I find the books better.

« Reply #3528 on: February 16, 2017, 09:45:53 AM »
Other than the first book/series, I found the show deviated away from the books greatly so I wouldn't worry about that! The show might be great visual entertainment but I find the books better.

I don't know, I'm on book 4 (I think it is) and the
Spoiler: show
bit where Joffrey dies was pretty similar (in terms of outcomes)
. And
Spoiler: show
Sansa escaping and Tyrion's trial by combat
. I know it deviates a bit in some areas, I just find those bits, where it doesn't, are the hardest bits to push through! hah

I'm less than 100 pages in now so think I will stop to read a few other books before starting book 5 as I have a lot of other relatively quick reads to get through as well.
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #3529 on: February 16, 2017, 09:55:41 AM »
I'm less than 100 pages in now so think I will stop to read a few other books before starting book 5 as I have a lot of other relatively quick reads to get through as well.

I read the first 4 books in about 6 months, then started book 5 about 3 years ago and I have yet to get past the first few chapters. Unfortunately, for me, George R. R. Martin covered the most interesting characters in book 4, leaving the more boring ones for book 5 :P.

« Reply #3530 on: February 16, 2017, 10:13:03 AM »
I read the first 4 books in about 6 months, then started book 5 about 3 years ago and I have yet to get past the first few chapters. Unfortunately, for me, George R. R. Martin covered the most interesting characters in book 4, leaving the more boring ones for book 5 :P.

hahaha I guess that I'm choosing the right book to stop and take a break on!
My, how time flies....

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #3531 on: February 16, 2017, 10:18:33 AM »
hahaha I guess that I'm choosing the right book to stop and take a break on!

Yeah, it's frustrating because he was supposed to cover all the characters over books 4 and 5, but then it took so long for him to write it all that he ended up publishing the full stories of half of the characters in book 4 and then going back and covering the stories of the rest of the characters in book 5.

« Reply #3532 on: February 16, 2017, 10:38:05 AM »
Yeah, it's frustrating because he was supposed to cover all the characters over books 4 and 5, but then it took so long for him to write it all that he ended up publishing the full stories of half of the characters in book 4 and then going back and covering the stories of the rest of the characters in book 5.

appreciate the heads up on it at least! :)
My, how time flies....

• Liked: 537
« Reply #3533 on: February 16, 2017, 06:28:18 PM »
I read book one of The Song of Ice and Fire and I stopped there.

It was already guilty of the one thing I can't stand in a book. More than 3 or 4 viewpoints and hoping around to a new one every chapter or so. Robert Jordan did that and I couldn't read past Winter's Heart. If that was the one with Perrin on the cover...

I just reread Mr Prenumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore and I heartily recommend it.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #3534 on: February 17, 2017, 10:02:59 AM »
I read book one of The Song of Ice and Fire and I stopped there.

It was already guilty of the one thing I can't stand in a book. More than 3 or 4 viewpoints and hoping around to a new one every chapter or so. Robert Jordan did that and I couldn't read past Winter's Heart. If that was the one with Perrin on the cover...

I just reread Mr Prenumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore and I heartily recommend it.

That's too bad, I loved the Wheel of Time series. I should actually read that again now that it's over.

« Reply #3535 on: February 17, 2017, 10:39:04 AM »
That's too bad, I loved the Wheel of Time series. I should actually read that again now that it's over.

I loved it until he splintered the story as far as he did. There were at least 8+ viewpoints, weren't there? I read pretty quick and you never got enough of a story for me before he'd swap.

My brother wanted someone to read them with him so he got me to read them and the Sword of Truth series.

The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #3536 on: February 17, 2017, 11:56:27 AM »
I loved it until he splintered the story as far as he did. There were at least 8+ viewpoints, weren't there? I read pretty quick and you never got enough of a story for me before he'd swap.

My brother wanted someone to read them with him so he got me to read them and the Sword of Truth series.
I don't mind the different POV, but yes there were tons. And a couple of the books even had different main characters, like the ones that focused on Perrin or Mat. I loved the Sword of Truth series too.

If you haven't read the Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss, I would highly recommend those. There are only 2 out and we've been waiting for the 3rd for years. But they focus (if I remember correctly) just on the main protagonist mostly.

« Reply #3537 on: February 17, 2017, 01:01:58 PM »
I don't mind the different POV, but yes there were tons. And a couple of the books even had different main characters, like the ones that focused on Perrin or Mat. I loved the Sword of Truth series too.

If you haven't read the Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss, I would highly recommend those. There are only 2 out and we've been waiting for the 3rd for years. But they focus (if I remember correctly) just on the main protagonist mostly.

Oh, I'm perfectly happy with up to 4 POVs. 5 in a pinch. But when you go beyond that. I will finish whatever book I'm reading and stop now. I know it's something I dslike so I don't bother anymore.

I REALLY tried with The Wheel of Time because I had loved the first 7 books so much. I struggled through to book 11. (I read the wikis to see. it's been over 15 years since I read these) It was just... Every time someone left the main party the story become more and more fractured.  I just lost interest. I know my brother kept reading. :)

I read the Name of the Wind a few years ago. Husband was supposed to read it with me, but he didn't have a lot of time... It was interesting. I definitely prefer Warbreaker by Brian Sanderson. That book gripped me and I couldn't put it down! It had a lot of different points of view, but not enough to put me off. :)

« Reply #3538 on: February 17, 2017, 01:50:44 PM »
I read the Name of the Wind a few years ago. Husband was supposed to read it with me, but he didn't have a lot of time... It was interesting. I definitely prefer Warbreaker by Brian Sanderson. That book gripped me and I couldn't put it down! It had a lot of different points of view, but not enough to put me off. :)

Do you mean Brandon Sanderson? I've read his Mistborn series, but not Warbreaker...I'll add it to my list. I did think Sanderson did a great job finishing off the Wheel of Time series after Jordan died. I decided to read his stuff to see, and he did a great job maintaining Jordan's "voice". It's very different from his own stuff, and I was impressed that he was able to do it.

« Reply #3539 on: February 17, 2017, 01:53:53 PM »
Oh, I'm perfectly happy with up to 4 POVs. 5 in a pinch. But when you go beyond that. I will finish whatever book I'm reading and stop now. I know it's something I dslike so I don't bother anymore.

I dunno if it's just me who does this, but I find sometimes (at least during the early days of a book) if there are too many different POVs and the names are more confusing, I just end up assigning random names in my head (or even just letters or whatever my brain can use to associate each story to each person).
My, how time flies....

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab