Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: National Insurance Number for a student  (Read 2684 times)

• Why a duck?
  • Liked: 0
National Insurance Number for a student
« on: September 22, 2004, 05:17:34 PM »
My sister is married to a Brit and has resided in the UK for more than 3 years.  She has been accepted at Uni and qualifies for SAAS funding.  To have her check cut, she needs an NIN.  She applied to the Galashiels office for the number, and was given an appointment for tomorrow.  The 'crat at the office called today to cancel her appointment.  The 'crat doesn't give NINs for students, only workers.

The 'crat said she is supposed to get a job to get the number.  Sis pointed out that it was ludicrous to accept a job just to get the number and then quit.  Still, 'crat says that's the way things work.  Does anyone else have any ideas?
When I find a funnier sig than twistedncynical's, it will be here.

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
Re: National Insurance Number for a student
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2004, 05:20:26 PM »
Wrong wrong wrong - she only has to show that she's looking for work (which is pretty easy to fake, really) to qualify for a an interview for a number. 

As an aside - if she's been here 3 years and is married to a Brit she might want to think about getting British Citizenship.  If she has indefinite leave she can also apply for benefits - maybe she should tell the 'crat she wants a number so she can apply for public benefits... ::)
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2004, 07:19:02 PM »
They say you can apply for an NIN if you're just looking for work, but  some Job Centres won't allow you to apply unless you've been offered a job.  That was my experience--the very first question I was asked was whether or not I had a written job offer.  I did, so it wasn't a problem.  I know of another forum member, though, who called the same office while she was looking for work and she was told to come back when she had a job offer.

So the moral is, you may not get an appointment just by saying that you're looking for work....some have their own rules and require that you are formally offered employment first.

I'm wondering why your sister is required to have an NIN.  Is this her first term at uni and is she paying resident rates since she's been here 3 years?  Maybe it's just a formality for them to ask for the NIN since most people who pay resident rates have been here for a while and have probably worked within the UK.  Perhaps she should explain that even though she's paying resident rates, she hasn't worked and therefore has no NIN.  Hopefully the uni should be able to sort this out for her...
« Last Edit: September 22, 2004, 07:21:53 PM by lolabola »

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2004, 07:31:58 PM »
Students can get them. I had my interview a couple of weeks ago and I'm on a student visa at the moment.... And my jobcentre also gave me a hassle about having a job before I could get an interview and wouldn't let me make an appointment until I had an offer letter from my employer, but technically speaking that's not how it should be - you should legally be able to get one while you're job seeking....

• Why a duck?
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2004, 01:13:59 AM »
Update

Sis spoke to the 'crat again yesterday.  He just returned from a training day.  He read her the law.  There is no provision for anyone else except workers to receive an NIN.  'Crat says that getting a job is the only way she will get a NIN.  Sis has to register at the job center and find a job, any job, to get a number.  She is a full time student, so she will quit the job as soon as she receives her NIN.

The Uni and SAAS couldn't help her.  SAAS doesn't require the number, but the loan guarantor does.  Sis  called the loan people and explained her situation.  The loan people said to write a letter explaining her situation, and they would review her case.  The second week of classes has ended, and Sis still can't buy her books.  The Uni gave Sis an emergency grant yesterday, but the check won't clear until Tuesday or Wednesday.

The 'crat is wrong.  There is a provision for others than workers to receive an NIN.  Sixteen-year-olds are automatically sent NINs.  They need no job offers nor do they have to show they are looking for work.  The number just comes in the mail.   Sis is thinking of making this a minister's case.  Is anyone else in this situation?
When I find a funnier sig than twistedncynical's, it will be here.

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2004, 01:26:53 PM »
From the DWP site (linked to from the JOBCENTRE SITE!!!!)(http://www.dwp.gov.uk/lifeevent/benefits/ni_number.asp#apply):

"When you can apply for a NI number

If one of the following applies to you, you can apply for a NI number:

you want to claim benefit
you are starting work
you are self-employed
you are looking for work
your partner is claiming benefit for you
you want to pay voluntary NI contributions and would benefit from paying them. "

I guess I just don't understand why they give such hassle about applying for an NIN while looking for work.... Their own bloody site links to a site that explains that you can do so....

• You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2004, 10:13:28 AM »
Like I said - tell your sister to tell the 'crat that she wants to apply for benefits - it's her "right"!  ;)  At least that might get her a number.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

Sponsored Links