Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Mom and 8 month old baby have nowhere to go, please help.  (Read 3023 times)

• Liked: 0
Mom and 8 month old baby have nowhere to go, please help.
« on: June 04, 2012, 03:57:59 PM »
I'm a 35 year old mom with an 8 month old son of a British citizen. I need urgent advice/suggestions. Our Visitor's Visa is up the first week in July, and I have no idea where to go once I get back to the US. I don't have friends or family who will take my son and myself in for a little bit. We plan on saving up to take care of the immagration side of things (I'll be looking for a job to help save up for that). Our initial plan was to go to the Embassay, but by the looks of it, we most likely won't be able to. I was hoping to go to get advice and possibly answers to where to go, and how to get back to US. My SO is on an extremely tight budget, so I'm not even sure if he can afford to get us a plane ticket back to our home state of California. We may end up in New York. I don't know New York, and the safety of my son is at the highest of concern for me. Does anyone know any place I can take my son and myself which is safe? Our plans are for me to get a job so I can help save up and also afford rent, I'll most likely be needing to find some kind of day care for my son as well. Please, please, any advice or suggestions is greatly appreciated. I'm really starting to panic, as I've never been on my own like this - especially with a baby. Thank you.

• Liked: 4
Re: Mom and 8 month old baby have nowhere to go, please help.
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 03:59:26 PM »
Is there some reason you can't/don't want to marry the baby's father?

Did you fly to the UK on a one-way ticket? Do you not have the return part of your ticket?

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 04:16:51 PM »
Yes we will be getting married, but in the US when we have saved enough up to get the immagration side of things going. I have a return ticket, but when he bought it, the return says October, and our six months is up in July. He says he can't get the date changed.

• Going somewhere doesn't take you anyplace else.
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 04:19:15 PM »
Have you called the airline directly to confirm this? Some tickets are changeable, but you have to pay a fee. Worth double checking as still would be cheaper than a new ticket.
The only meaning anything has is the meaning you give to it.       ~Author Unknown

2006 Work Permit -> 2011 ILR -> 2012 Dual Citizen

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 04:19:55 PM »
Yes, I agree with Courtney - you should call the airline directly and see what can be done about using the second half of the ticket.  Your change fee would likely be much less than another ticket.

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 04:27:29 PM »
I agree. The problem is, money has been so low that him and I have been weeks without being able to put credit on our phones. He's looking for full time work, but in the meantime he's doing agency work, and it's off and on.

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 04:28:51 PM »
There are toll free numbers you can use to call airlines directly.  Also, why are you not able to go to the Embassy?  They can provide help as well.  You can see some information in this post:

http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=58992.0

• Going somewhere doesn't take you anyplace else.
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 04:57:14 PM »
You are doing the right thing by going back before your visa expires.

What part of CA are you from? Perhaps someone will be able to help you further with links to services if we know what area you are returning to.
The only meaning anything has is the meaning you give to it.       ~Author Unknown

2006 Work Permit -> 2011 ILR -> 2012 Dual Citizen

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 04:58:31 PM »
You can get married now.  Go to a registry office and have a quick ceremony.  You can always have a nice wedding later.  Once you're married, you can apply for a spousal visa from the US as soon as you've got the money.  It will save you the cost of flying him out to the US.  Is there anyone in your partner's family who could help you out financially?  
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 08:43:36 AM »
unfortunately you can't get married here in the UK with just a tourist visa....they don't like you to do a change in status. I had to go back to Texas with my partner (thought I was going to stay there). He asked me to come back and in order to do that- I married him (mistake) ...I am now here on a spousal visa- but have no benifits for anything....

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2012, 09:48:16 AM »
...I am now here on a spousal visa- but have no benifits for anything....

Why would you expect to have benefits?

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2012, 11:29:27 PM »
Not benefits as such- just help to go to a safe place if you have been threatened out of your home.

that's all...  not claiming asylum ...like so many

• Banned

• Writer, married, semi-employed, and sorta happy...
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2012, 08:35:46 AM »
You DO deserve to have access to help and 'benefits' if need be, in a situation like that, in my opinion.

I don't care if you are originally from Mars.

Maybe the mods can make one of those black, set topics, (A sticky, I think?) specifically set up for people who find themselves in a crisis situation like this, with information on what is available in the way of assistance?

Do we have a section on spousal abuse before ILR, or abandonment before ILR, or anything relating to this situation?

If not, I request UKY create one please?!
“It was when I realised I had a new nationality: I was in exile. I am an adulterous resident: when I am in one city, I am dreaming of the other. I am an exile; citizen of the country of longing.” ― Suketu Mehta.

Married 04/13/11, in NYC.
Applied for Spouse Visa the following week, with express service, and I was approved 4 days later!
Arrived in the UK 05/20/11.
I took the stupid LIUK Test Oct. 2012.
We were granted ILR In Person in Croydon on 04/23/13.
Got BRP 2 days later, in mail box - it just appeared.

NEXT: The lil' red passpo

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2012, 10:21:05 AM »
You DO deserve to have access to help and 'benefits' if need be, in a situation like that, in my opinion.

I don't care if you are originally from Mars.

Yes, there should be support for the OP - but there isn't really.

The DV concession is for those on settlement visas. That's it. Not tourist or student or work permits or whatever. There are plenty of organisations campaigning for more, but right now that is all that we have (and to be fair, it is a lot better than what was available previously.)

(To be fair to the OP, I don't think she is dealing with a DV situation, just a lack of funds. And as we all know, they want all of us to be able to support ourselves without accessing public funds, no matter what our personal situation [except for cases of DV].  :-\\\\ )

Maybe the mods can make one of those black, set topics, (A sticky, I think?) specifically set up for people who find themselves in a crisis situation like this, with information on what is available in the way of assistance?

I think this is a great idea. The information is out on the board, but it can be difficult to find.

EDIT: After my response I think Lara is referring to lorriekeith, there is a thread where her options have been discussed here if you want to read it.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 10:25:10 AM by Cali Girl »
August 2008 - Tier 4 - Student Visa
February 2010 - Tier 1 - PSW
January 2012 - FLR(M)
June 2014 - ILR (finally!)

Sponsored Links