Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Bringing our mixed dog into the UK.  (Read 4035 times)

• Liked: 3
Bringing our mixed dog into the UK.
« on: July 26, 2012, 09:54:53 PM »
Hi, we are planning a move back to the UK with 3 dogs and two cats. One of our beloved pooches is a Australian cattle dog/beagle mix. On occasion, some have remarked that he appears to have some similarities to a pitbull, though he is neither as stout, tall or as heavy, just some facial features.
We would really love to hear from anyone who has done this with a similar pet. We have already contacted DEFRA and the folks at heathrow with photos and a description. Presently the law states that the animal is assessed purely on its characteristics. Im sure they know what they are doing but again, would appreciate any feedback.
A picture of him can be seen on the link below.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 09:57:05 PM by DrayUK »
Jan 27, 2014-Online application submitted
Jan 29-Biometrics submitted
Feb 4-Supporting documents sent out
Feb 5-Email that processing has started received
Feb 7-Email that a decision has been made
Feb 12-Visa received!!!!
March 2-Fly to England to start my new adventure!

• Banned

• Writer, married, semi-employed, and sorta happy...
  • Liked: 4
Re: Bringing our mixed dog into the UK.
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 10:11:33 PM »
I'm no expert, but I used to own a pitbull, and your dog does not look like a pitbull to me.

Not at all.

We also live in an area of London where the pitbull breed is quite popular, and to me it does not look at all like the pitbulls living in our area.

Cute dog!

I'm almost afraid to ask, but, I gotta do it... I'm just so curious... Is there some sort of 'pitbull travel restriction' law in place for the UK?

“It was when I realised I had a new nationality: I was in exile. I am an adulterous resident: when I am in one city, I am dreaming of the other. I am an exile; citizen of the country of longing.” ― Suketu Mehta.

Married 04/13/11, in NYC.
Applied for Spouse Visa the following week, with express service, and I was approved 4 days later!
Arrived in the UK 05/20/11.
I took the stupid LIUK Test Oct. 2012.
We were granted ILR In Person in Croydon on 04/23/13.
Got BRP 2 days later, in mail box - it just appeared.

NEXT: The lil' red passpo

• Liked: 585
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 10:52:59 PM »
Pit bulls are a banned breed.  It's illegal to own them in the UK.

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 11:00:34 PM »
Thanks! Yeah, we don't think he looks like a pit bull either, but since it is illegal to have them in the country and we've been told several times that he looks like a pit mix we were worried. I personally think that most people are really just unfamiliar with what a pit looks like and they see a square headed dog and instantly think "pit". The problem is this assessment is based on sight only and that can be very subjective. And if the british government is anything like the US, they will have the most under qualified person available to make the assessment.  ::)
Jan 27, 2014-Online application submitted
Jan 29-Biometrics submitted
Feb 4-Supporting documents sent out
Feb 5-Email that processing has started received
Feb 7-Email that a decision has been made
Feb 12-Visa received!!!!
March 2-Fly to England to start my new adventure!

• Liked: 2
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 03:31:04 AM »
That dog does not look like a Pit or Pit mix to me. 

• Banned

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 08:22:09 AM »
Pit bulls are a banned breed in the UK? Really? Wow, I had no idea! Every other dog in my neighbourhood is a pit bill. I guess the 'ban' is not working very well. Ya seriously can't walk 5 feet in Brixton without seeing a pit bull. No joke!

Oh well, I hope the OP has no problems getting that cute puppy a British Passport!

“It was when I realised I had a new nationality: I was in exile. I am an adulterous resident: when I am in one city, I am dreaming of the other. I am an exile; citizen of the country of longing.” ― Suketu Mehta.

Applied for Spouse Visa the following week, with express service, and I was approved 4 days later!

• British by descent
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 08:37:21 AM »
Pit bulls are a banned breed in the UK? Really? Wow, I had no idea! Every other dog in my neighbourhood is a pit bill. I guess the 'ban' is not working very well. Ya seriously can't walk 5 feet in Brixton without seeing a pit bull. No joke!

They're probably staffordshire bull terriers. They're pretty much the British breed equivalent of the pit, but they're not banned. Go figure.

(I have nothing against pits or staffies, and have lived with/near lovely dogs of both breeds, but I do find the inconsistency in the "dangerous dog" breed profiling a bit ridiculous.)
Moved to London February 5, 2010

• unabridged opinions
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 09:13:07 AM »
They're probably staffordshire bull terriers. They're pretty much the British breed equivalent of the pit, but they're not banned. Go figure.

(I have nothing against pits or staffies, and have lived with/near lovely dogs of both breeds, but I do find the inconsistency in the "dangerous dog" breed profiling a bit ridiculous.)

Totally. I've known loads of lovely pits and staffies (and loads of completely annoying other breeds). I think this is a case of people writing the laws without actually consulting others who might know something about it.

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2012, 09:20:44 AM »
Every other dog in my neighbourhood is a pit bill. I guess the 'ban' is not working very well. Ya seriously can't walk 5 feet in Brixton without seeing a pit bull. No joke!

You might not be joking, but you are mistaken.

• Banned

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2012, 12:24:45 PM »
Actually, I am not mistaken. I know the difference between a Pit Bull and a  Staffordshire Bull Terrier.

I used to HAVE a Pit Bull in NYC. My cousin, in NYC, has 2 Staffordshire Bull Terriers.

They are different breeds of dog. I do know this. ;-)

So, not that it really matters, but i'm telling you, because it is simply a fact: We truly have BOTH breeds of dog, all over this neighbourhood, in England, where they have supposedly banned Pit Bulls.

But, hey, you don't have to believe me, coz, "I gots no dogs in this fight"!!!!

:P :D ;D :) ;)

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2012, 03:02:24 PM »
LOL... then if you're not mistaken, you must be exaggerating!

Every other dog in my neighbourhood is a pit bill. I guess the 'ban' is not working very well. Ya seriously can't walk 5 feet in Brixton without seeing a pit bull. No joke!

'Every other dog' is a helluva lot of dogs!
And every '5 feet' is an awfy small distance to travel to be seeing all these pit bulls!

• Banned

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2012, 03:54:19 PM »
Yeah, I was exaggerating.

Obviously!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Or, well, at least I assumed it to be a rather *obvious* exaggeration...)

:)

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2012, 05:04:53 PM »
When you tell a story and say 'no joke' and 'seriously', people that don't know you might think you are being 'serious' and 'not joking'.

A lot of people from outside the UK don't realise that a Staffy is not the same as a Pit, so it would have been easy for someone to make that mistake... but of course you knew that and it wasn't a mistake.

I don't think your cute dog looks like any dog on the banned list, so hopefully you will be ok.

Edited to remove personal comments
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 10:46:31 AM by UK Yankee »

• unabridged opinions
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2012, 07:15:55 PM »
OP, do you have anything that describes your dog and what mix he is? I definitely agree with everyone else that it looks NOTHING like a pit bull, but you could always ask your US vet to "bill" you or something official with a description on it? That might at least make you feel better, which I think is never to be discounted with all of the stress that such a big move brings!

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2012, 11:05:02 PM »
If you're seeing pitbulls in Brixton then report them as they are a banned breed and will be taken away by the police/council.

For what it's worth, I have never seen a pitbull in London.

Sponsored Links