Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Is there something I'm missing?  (Read 5631 times)

• I miss people no matter where I live
  • Liked: 0
Is there something I'm missing?
« on: August 10, 2012, 12:59:15 PM »
I've lost 20 lbs so far and it's been quite a long time since I've started exercising. It's been at least 6 months.

I eat 1200 calories a day and I exercise everyday too except Sunday. Most of the time I use the stepper machine I have and burn at least 700 calories on that (or so the machine says). On days I'm not on the stepper, I run for about an hour. I also jump rope and occasionally I put various exercise dvd's on for a cardio work out. Usually they range from 30 mins to an hour. So I'm always doing cardio work outs and don't really do any strength training. I can only do one push up  :-[

I've done various tests to see if there's anything wrong with me and physically I'm mostly fine. My cholesterol is high and I have vitamin D deficiency but I'm not sure if that has anything to do with the amount of weight I'm losing and how slowly it's going. Also high cholesterol runs in my family even amongst the very thin and healthy people that eat right and exercise regularly.

I'm hungry all the time. I'm constantly snacking on fruits but I make sure not to exceed the 1200 cals. I keep a log on the fitness pal app of everything that I eat.

What am I doing wrong? I've recently actually gained 2 lbs and got very upset. Am I building muscle? I don't feel any different to be honest. My clothes are a bit easier to put on and I'm not always huffing and puffing when going up stairs and things like that but I expected that the progress would be greater by now. Any advice welcome :)
Met DH to be: 2004
Visited back and forth:2005-2008
Student visa: September 2008
Married: September 2009
Flr(m): July 2011
Finished my bachelors: May 2012
Finished MSc: august 2013
ILR approved: September 2013
Citizenship approval: August 2015
Passport received: November 2015
Citizenship journey is complete!

Re: Is there something I'm missing?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 01:44:01 PM »
First off - 20 lbs is great!  It sounds like you have gotten into a great routine for cardio exercise, but it sounds like you have hit a plateau.  Strength training, while it probably won't have any quick effects on your weight loss, it may be what your body is looking for to break the plateau.  I believe the science is that, the stronger a muscle is, the more effectively it operates and burns more calories doing the things you already do. 

When I started doing serious strength training with a trainer, the number on the scale didn't drop, but the shape of my body started changing pretty drastically.  I lost inches from places I had always loathed.  It also made the cardio much easier to do. 

As far as diet goes....I have never done it, but I know that friends who have followed a "Paleo" diet have seen some pretty good results right off the bat, as far as straight weight loss is concerned. 

• Liked: 3
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 01:44:26 PM »
You eat 1200 calories per day, you burn 700 calories per day (except Sundays), so your body is trying to survive on 500 calories per day? Sounds like the weight gain is a survival instinct that your body has put in place to try and function off so few calories. Eating 1200 calories per day was fine when you weren't exercising, but now that you are you need to compensate for that. Eat more calories and I think you'll see that your body will start to lose again. Doesn't MyFitnessPal compensate for exercise and calories burned? It should tell you if you're in a calorie deficit.

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 02:06:04 PM »
You eat 1200 calories per day, you burn 700 calories per day (except Sundays), so your body is trying to survive on 500 calories per day? Sounds like the weight gain is a survival instinct that your body has put in place to try and function off so few calories. Eating 1200 calories per day was fine when you weren't exercising, but now that you are you need to compensate for that. Eat more calories and I think you'll see that your body will start to lose again. Doesn't MyFitnessPal compensate for exercise and calories burned? It should tell you if you're in a calorie deficit.

To be honest I didn't understand the app's calculations. It was telling me that I need to eat 1200 a day and so I followed that. It went into 'net' calories and things like that which I don't understand at all. I just thought the bigger the deficit, the more weight loss. What you said makes complete sense. I'm more than happy to eat more  ;D.

I wish I could go on biggest loser (it's on tv now :p). I need to lose 20 more lbs to be at the healthy weight range.  :P Could do that in a week on their show. Everyone seems to lose crazy amounts of weight during each weekly weigh in. I wonder what they do to get it off so quickly.

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 02:09:02 PM »
First off - 20 lbs is great!  It sounds like you have gotten into a great routine for cardio exercise, but it sounds like you have hit a plateau.  Strength training, while it probably won't have any quick effects on your weight loss, it may be what your body is looking for to break the plateau.  I believe the science is that, the stronger a muscle is, the more effectively it operates and burns more calories doing the things you already do. 

When I started doing serious strength training with a trainer, the number on the scale didn't drop, but the shape of my body started changing pretty drastically.  I lost inches from places I had always loathed.  It also made the cardio much easier to do. 

As far as diet goes....I have never done it, but I know that friends who have followed a "Paleo" diet have seen some pretty good results right off the bat, as far as straight weight loss is concerned. 

Thank you!  :)

I'm looking to drop inches and clothing sizes now. I don't think the weight number is that important to me anymore. I've always been really active as a kid and teen (muscular) and weighed more than most people my age and height. It always made me feel like crap but now I know it's not about the actual weight. It's about being toned, fitting into clothes properly, etc... I just need to keep that in mind. I'm throwing my scale away in fact. Sick of being disappointed by it.

• British by descent
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 02:18:59 PM »
I wish I could go on biggest loser (it's on tv now :p). I need to lose 20 more lbs to be at the healthy weight range.  :P Could do that in a week on their show. Everyone seems to lose crazy amounts of weight during each weekly weigh in. I wonder what they do to get it off so quickly.

From what I've read (on the internet, so it must be true ;)), they eat a strictly regimented diet, spend 5-6 hours/day in the gym, and then (because it's reality tv) some competitors also "game the system" with drinking loads of water pre-weigh in to artificially boost their weight one week so that it can dramatically decrease the next week (when they're more at-risk).

If you read follow-up stories about contestants, though, some of them range from "I now have an eating disorder" to "I obsess about exercise to the detriment of my health" to "I gained back all the weight plus another 100lbs", so it's not exactly a success story to getting weight off and keeping it off.
Moved to London February 5, 2010

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 04:46:04 PM »
From what I've read (on the internet, so it must be true ;)), they eat a strictly regimented diet, spend 5-6 hours/day in the gym, and then (because it's reality tv) some competitors also "game the system" with drinking loads of water pre-weigh in to artificially boost their weight one week so that it can dramatically decrease the next week (when they're more at-risk).

If you read follow-up stories about contestants, though, some of them range from "I now have an eating disorder" to "I obsess about exercise to the detriment of my health" to "I gained back all the weight plus another 100lbs", so it's not exactly a success story to getting weight off and keeping it off.

Oh no that's awful. So they go from one extreme to another all the time.

I can see how that environment is great for making people come out with eating disorders.  :( So sad.

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 04:55:29 PM »
I think 20lbs in 6 months is very good.

I'm not sure that vitamin D deficiency is effecting your weight loss. Have you changed your eating habits? You mentioned how many calories you eat but WHAT you are eating is important too. Losing weight healthily is a balance between a healthy diet AND fitness. You mentioned that you are always hungry, are you eating foods with protein that will make you feel fuller for long periods of time? A lot of people eat 3 big meals a day.... since I started working out 3 years ago, I completely changed my eating habits for good. Now I usually eat 4-5 small meals a day and I find it helps a lot, because I have a fast metabolism, and I too am always hungry!!

Maybe you should cut down the amount you are working out? I know it sounds crazy, but you need to let your body rest between sessions. Maybe try going every other day. Also you should try different machines or exercises. I think the key to exercise and losing weight is to "trick" your body. You said you usually do the stair stepper. I think doing anything too repetitive, you will hit a plateau. If you go on the treadmill, run for 5-10 mins, then stop for 3-4, then repeat. You should also try using machines that tone your abdominals after a workout.

• Smiley Gifts World
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 04:56:24 PM »
A piece of advice that a mate gave me when I was losing weight and then hit a plateau was to split my exercise routine in half and do it twice a day. (I informed him there was no way I exercising more than 30 minutes) He pointed out if I exercise two 15 minute sessions then I increase my metabolism twice a day. He was a boxer and a bit of a fitness nut...it makes logical sense to me anyway. I also agree you aren't eating enough :)

• Liked: 4
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2012, 03:52:46 AM »
I really love strength training and would add that as well.  Given the amount of exercise you are performing, you may want to increase your calories a bit.  When I did sparkpeople, they gave me a calorie range (1250 to 1550 I think).  If your program gives you a calorie range, you might want to try to eat on the higher end.  I worry you are in starvation mode. 

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2012, 08:56:00 AM »
Thanks everyone for your advice. I didn't realise I was hungry because I wasn't eating enough. I just thought that it's less than what I used to eat when I got this big so my body wasn't used to it.

Has anyone tried one of those weight loss services that sends you all your meals? Are they any good? I'm horrible at knowing what to eat, when to eat it, and how much.

• Smiley Gifts World
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2012, 08:57:47 AM »

Has anyone tried one of those weight loss services that sends you all your meals? Are they any good? I'm horrible at knowing what to eat, when to eat it, and how much.
My personal concerns about those is that you won't want to use them for the rest of your life, so it doesn't really solve the long term problem.

• Liked: 533
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2012, 09:53:12 AM »
It sounds awfully extreme. Your body must be thinking you are on a desert island and is holding on to every ounce of fat for dear life.

I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 4
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2012, 10:40:17 AM »
I use my fitness pal too, and the calories for the day include exercise.  If you are thinking 1200 per day, then you need to be eating more than that to compensate for the exercise you are doing.  500/day for a prolonged period with no break is NOT good!

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2012, 05:49:12 PM »

I know they can be quite expensive. My friend used Jenny Craig and she did lose weight, but once she stopped using them she did gain weight back because she never learned what she should be cooking/eating.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab