Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: I started playing rugby tonight.  (Read 3045 times)

• Liked: 0
I started playing rugby tonight.
« on: September 13, 2012, 09:36:56 PM »
I joined the local ladies rugby team and it was very fun! I've never played before but *most* of the  players were very welcoming. I'm having to learn on the fly but it was an awesome work out and just tons of fun. Can't wait until next week!
June 1989: 1st time we met.
June 2009: Reconnected... yes on FaceBook.
Jan 2010: he invited me to the UK by saying "get your ars* on a plane!"
May 2010: I arrive in UK for visit.
April 2011: ask him to marry me.
May 18 2

• Liked: 1
Re: I started playing rugby tonight.
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 11:45:38 PM »
 Awesome! Is it similar enough to American football that you're sort of familiar with the rules? Are they less rough than the men's version (granted, the only time I've ever seen rugby has been on that episode of Friends with Ross playing with Emily's friends! :P)

I've been googling for a local cricket team. I told DH tonight about my plans and he looked at me like this: [smiley=inquisitive.gif]

"Happiness is the consequence of personal effort. You fight for it, strive for it, insist upon it, and sometimes even travel around the world looking for it." -Eat Pray Love

beth@medivisas.com
medivisas.com

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 04:46:16 AM »
No, the American football is getting me in to trouble as I keep running ahead of the line. You have to pass backwards. I need to print off some rugby rules from the internet to figure it all out.

For now we are just playing touch rugby but the full on tackle version will start soon. I think they will be just as aggressive then. My eyes about popped out of my head tonight when someone tackled me for the first time. And she was on her knees! :)

Kudos on looking at Cricket! Keep it up even if you do get the odd-eye! :)
May 18 2

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 04:49:19 AM »
Oh and I got to be a part of the scrum tonight. Well, it was a mini scrum as there were 3 to a side. (The coaches are keeping it easy for now I think) Afterwards, one of my team mates was asking me "Are you going to be a prop? Are you going to be in the 2nd row?" on and on. I had no idea what she was talking about. I said "I think they were just trying to give me something to do."

All I know is that it's a big kick in the butt and I need to get out to start running so I don't pass out from all the exertion! It must have been fun, it's 0449 and I don't think I've been able to fall asleep yet. Hence, why I am here now. ;)
May 18 2

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 08:44:24 PM »
How are you getting on Meghan2828? 
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 08:53:27 PM »
With rugby? It's going good. I still have a lot to figure out and I suspect I spend most of the time just running around the field with no particular purpose. But the ladies on the team are very encouraging all the same. I had high hopes in the beginning to play in a game but now I think I am going to tell the captain that I want a few more practices under my belt. Right now they have me as a forward in the second row. I still need to figure out what to do in a ruck (and when to get the heck out of the way) and there are a few other rules I don't quite get yet.

Otherwise, I have my very up and very, very down days. Still stewing over what to do for a job. Might go to the East Sussex police dept and see if they have any volunteer positions.

DH was on his way to work in London today and had to get off the train with severe pain. He went to the emergency room today with a kidney stone and he's spending the night. Sadly, the ambulance took him to the ER in Brighton and I'm in Eastbourne and can't drive yet, so it was a day of trains and cabs for me. It was my first real hospital exposure to the NHS and I have to say... wow. Plus I can't remember any visit to the hospital where they had actual visiting hours and really restricted ones at that. Educational for sure.
May 18 2

• Liked: 1
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 12:02:15 AM »
Yikes, Meghan! I hope DH is ok! Glad rugby is still going well. Good luck with the job. I'm also very torn about what I want to do now. I am looking at substitute teaching positions for now just to get some moolah, but I definitely don't want to be roped into teaching again.
"Happiness is the consequence of personal effort. You fight for it, strive for it, insist upon it, and sometimes even travel around the world looking for it." -Eat Pray Love

beth@medivisas.com
medivisas.com

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 06:01:23 AM »
GGTL, I bought the "What Color is your Parachute book" to help me figure it out. I spoke with a placement place and because the first thing they see on my CV is Cop, they don't look farther to see that law enforcement was actually a career change in my mid 30's and that I've done other stuff besides. I was told by a placement guy "You are too specialized" to place and too my frustration, I've kind of lost the fighting spirit to really take action. It will come back, I think I'm just burned out from the stress of my life for the past few years. Good luck to you!
May 18 2

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab