Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: A two year Masters in Social Work in London?  (Read 1612 times)

• Banned

• Writer, married, semi-employed, and sorta happy...
  • Liked: 4
A two year Masters in Social Work in London?
« on: September 28, 2012, 12:00:52 PM »
So, has anyone been through this? I bet some of you have!

I have a BA from Smith College, with a GPA of well over 3.5, I think it was 3.89? Something like that anyway... It is in History and Psychology.

(I also have a completely useless Masters Degree. I wanted to go for social work, and I was accepted into the top programmes in NY, but I could not afford to go, even WITH the scholarships that were offered, because they were so small, and the top schools are so expensive - so I got a Masters in another field, on full scholarship, which turned out to be useless. Ya get what ya pay for, huh? Sigh.)

I have quite a bit of USA experience with 'underrepresented' populations, and I have just started working part time with formerly incarcerated youth, here in London. And I am really loving it!!! I mean, I LOVE IT. I LOVE THOSE KIDS. And, they seem to really respond to me! So, I'm thinking, again... Social Work degree!

I would be applying AFTER I have ILR. I would apply for the NHS Bursar grant, I think? It seems to be the best way to get funding assistance - maybe the only way... ?

My questions:
My undergrad degree, major, and GPA, are OK, right? (What the heck is a '2.2' here?)
It is two years, full time, right? Not including summers? How do 'semesters' work here?
A full time Masters in Social Work is about how many hours of class a week?
It is during the day, right?
The required 'training placements' which are a part of the degree (thankfully, lol!), are entirely unpaid, right?
Has anyone done the NHS programme???
Is it super hard to be accepted to that programme? I bet it is...
If accepted for funding, do they normally provide a bit of a stipend for living expenses? (It looks like they do... Sometimes.)
Is it totally impossible to WORK and do the degree?

Are there actual JOBS available? Because, I already HAVE a useless Masters - LOL!

What else do I need to know that I have not even thought of asking?

Many thanks!!!
Lara

“It was when I realised I had a new nationality: I was in exile. I am an adulterous resident: when I am in one city, I am dreaming of the other. I am an exile; citizen of the country of longing.” ― Suketu Mehta.

Married 04/13/11, in NYC.
Applied for Spouse Visa the following week, with express service, and I was approved 4 days later!
Arrived in the UK 05/20/11.
I took the stupid LIUK Test Oct. 2012.
We were granted ILR In Person in Croydon on 04/23/13.
Got BRP 2 days later, in mail box - it just appeared.

NEXT: The lil' red passpo

• Liked: 1
Re: A two year Masters in Social Work in London?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 12:30:44 PM »
2:2 isn't asking for much - its the second division of second class degrees and the lowest level of degree you would need to go on to postgraduate study. The conversion from GPA apparently varies between schools in the UK.

• Banned

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 01:09:31 PM »
Thank you mirrajay!
I think the 2.2 was a requirement for the NHS funding, but I'm not sure... I think that's where I got that number.

So, my GPA is above that.

THANKFULLY.
“It was when I realised I had a new nationality: I was in exile. I am an adulterous resident: when I am in one city, I am dreaming of the other. I am an exile; citizen of the country of longing.” ― Suketu Mehta.

Applied for Spouse Visa the following week, with express service, and I was approved 4 days later!

• Liked: 3596
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 06:57:33 PM »
Thank you mirrajay!
I think the 2.2 was a requirement for the NHS funding, but I'm not sure... I think that's where I got that number.

So, my GPA is above that.

THANKFULLY.

Yes, although it does vary, the approximate conversion between UK and US degrees (from the Fulbright Commission) is:

1st (First Class Honours): GPA 3.7-4.0
2:1 (Upper Second Class Honours): GPA 3.3-3.6
2:2 (Lower Second Class Honours): GPA 3.0-.3.3
3rd (Third Class Honours): GPA 2.5-3.0
Ordinary Pass (no honours): GPA 2.0-2.5

In general, postgraduate degree programmes usually require a 2:1 honours degree or higher, but I think there are an increasing number of courses that will accept a 2:2 instead.

• Liked: 2
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 07:08:55 PM »
I did my MSW in the States, but I am a social worker for a local authority and I can offer some insight because we have two students in my team who are completing placements.

It is two years, full time, right? Not including summers? How do 'semesters' work here?

Yes. Generally, not including summers. 'Semesters' are pretty much the same, just shorter. I know that the final dissertation/thesis at the end is usually completed in the last summer term. So even though students aren't in lectures and aren't on placement the last summer, it is expected that they will be researching and writing.

A full time Masters in Social Work is about how many hours of class a week?

I'm not sure about hours, but the students who I know do three days on placement and two days at uni (all full-time).

It is during the day, right?

Yes, unless you can find a uni that offers night classes, like Berbeck University (not sure if they offer social work degrees).

The required 'training placements' which are a part of the degree (thankfully, lol!), are entirely unpaid, right?

Yes, I think it would be rare to find placements that were paid.

Is it totally impossible to WORK and do the degree?

I wouldn't say it is impossible, but you would be so drained. Social work is not an easy job, and with placement+lectures during the day plus working in the evenings/weekends, I think that it would be too much.

Are there actual JOBS available? Because, I already HAVE a useless Masters - LOL!

I'm not going to lie, social work is a difficult field to get into right now. This is mostly due to the coalition government cuts to the public sector budgets. Most local authorities are looking for candidates with experience (student placements do count, but are not as highly regarded as 'real' work experience). That being said, there are lots of options for social workers besides just the title of 'social worker' and working for the local authority. I know some social workers who work for charities.

Hope this helps, and can I just say: YAY FOR SOCIAL WORKERS!!!!   ;D
2006: Met DH to be in London
2006-2010: LDR, with one year spent in UK in post-grad school
2010: Moved to London on Tier 1 PSW visa
2011: Engaged
2012: Married
2014: ILR Approved at PEO Croydon
2015: I'm finally British!

• Liked: 3596
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 07:16:29 PM »
Yes. Generally, not including summers.

Most masters degrees in the UK do actually include the summers as well. My masters ran from October 1st 2006 to September 30th 2007, and I was in school every day of the week all through the summer (doing research and writing up).

For a one-year masters, usually you have lectures between September and June and then you spend July, August and September writing your thesis.

Not sure if social work masters are different though, as they are 2 years and contain placements as well.

• Liked: 2
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 08:11:00 PM »
Most masters degrees in the UK do actually include the summers as well. My masters ran from October 1st 2006 to September 30th 2007, and I was in school every day of the week all through the summer (doing research and writing up).

For a one-year masters, usually you have lectures between September and June and then you spend July, August and September writing your thesis.

Not sure if social work masters are different though, as they are 2 years and contain placements as well.

Yes, one year masters degrees do include summers. The social work students that I know on the 2-year program seem to at least get the summer after the first year off, because I know some of them are planning to return to their normal jobs for the summer.

LaraMascara, it might be helpful to contact the schools directly to ask these questions, I'm sure that they would be interested!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 08:12:49 PM by nharpold »
2006: Met DH to be in London
2006-2010: LDR, with one year spent in UK in post-grad school
2010: Moved to London on Tier 1 PSW visa
2011: Engaged
2012: Married
2014: ILR Approved at PEO Croydon
2015: I'm finally British!

• Banned

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 09:07:52 PM »
Wow! So many great responses! Thank you so much!
I will contact the schools...

THANK YOU PEEPS!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab