Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Starving day after a long workout?  (Read 3106 times)

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
Starving day after a long workout?
« on: October 01, 2012, 08:54:05 PM »
Hi fitness experts, I am far from one.  Far. Far. Far.
That said,  I cycle almost every day back and forth to work, but I wanted to take it to the next level.  With that, I've been getting into mountain biking.  Taking 3-4 hour rides.  So much fun!

Anyways, I am never hungry that much on the day, other than normal, but the next day I am starving.

So yesterday- we went on a 3+ hour cycle, working really hard.
I thought I ate pretty good with a balance of carbs-protein, but maybe not?  

Before we went in the morning, I had a wholemeal seeded wrap with some (30 g) of low fat cheese melted and some tomatoes for breakfast

During the cycle, we had a 10 minute break, and I ate a turkey ham with lettuce on wholemeal bread sandwich.

After the cycle, I ate a banana and a low fat granola yogurt.  

I went to the garden and weeded for about an hour afterwards as well.  

I had dinner later - (Homemade food- Indian spiced fishcakes and cabbage and a small naan)

I reckon I must have drank about 3-3.5 liters of water yesterday

Anyways, why did I spend today starving?  Did I eat too little?  

Help, I hate that today I was munching (all healthy, but still,felt like I couldn't eat enough!)
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• On an Irish adventure, on the West coast of Clare!
  • Liked: 1
Re: Starving day after a long workout?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 09:28:25 PM »
I am also far from a fitness expert, but the same thing has happened to me the day after a very active day.

My hubby would say (and he knows a lot about working out, physical activity and how your body utilizes food and energy) that your muscles are continuing to burn fat and calories at a higher rate after you've been very physically active.  So it's not that you didn't eat enough on the day, it's just that through the night and the next day your body is still burning calories and fat.  Just eat more if you're still hungry, but keep it healthy stuff (which I know you normally do anyway).
Met husband-to-be in Ireland July 2006
Married October 2007
Became a British citizen 21 July 2011
Separated from husband August 2014
Off on an Irish adventure October 2014

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 10:37:45 PM »
Yep. Always happens to me when I work out a lot. After long (long) runs especially (ie, cardio) the day OF, I'm usually not hungry even though I've "earned" some extra calories. The next day, which is usually an off day where I'm trying to watch my calories (of course), I am always ravenous! Not sure why there's a delay, but there is!
"Happiness is the consequence of personal effort. You fight for it, strive for it, insist upon it, and sometimes even travel around the world looking for it." -Eat Pray Love

beth@medivisas.com
medivisas.com

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 07:53:35 AM »
Thanks both.  :)
 Andee, that makes sense  -
Hopefully I won't feel so starving today - Hate to undo the good work for a good long ride!
You're stuck with me!

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 08:08:16 AM »
Back when I used to do "proper" workouts, I always gained weight from all the hunger. Ridiculous. So now I just go for walks and I find it keeps me eating normally and feeling fitter. I hope you can figure something out!
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 01:00:39 PM »
I'm this way as well. I try to drink water instead of reaching for food. I find that helps stave off the hungry horrors, but then I'm constantly needing the bathroom.  :P

• On an Irish adventure, on the West coast of Clare!
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 04:26:24 PM »
I'm this way as well. I try to drink water instead of reaching for food. I find that helps stave off the hungry horrors, but then I'm constantly needing the bathroom.  :P
If you're really and truly hungry just drinking water is only going to make you light-headed.  Listen to the wisdom of your body--if you're hungry then eat.

It's different if you're just having snacky cravings for crunchy or sweet or salty things or something, but actual hunger means your body needs fuel.
Met husband-to-be in Ireland July 2006
Married October 2007
Became a British citizen 21 July 2011
Separated from husband August 2014
Off on an Irish adventure October 2014

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 04:40:14 PM »
Yeah, PB - it's normal! You've gotten good advice here.  I've found that the longer (more consistently, more regularly) I've been at my training (a mixture of both strength/weight training and cardio - primarily in the gym, plus rambling) - my hungries have levelled off as time has gone on.  (I've been at my current, progressive programme for about 3 months now - wow! Hard to believe I've kept at it like that for as long as I have this time.)  For the most part, my hungries are now more hormonally related (week before) than anything else.  :P

I've been told that about an hour after a workout, it's good to have something with protein in it - like milk/dairy for instance, or something even higher in protein (lean meat, eggs, etc) -- that helps your muscles to start immediately building/rebuilding muscle tissue -- post-workout protein gives you a boost on that.

Also, when I'm feeling hungry-hungry-hungry, I will usually reach for protein as well - it's going to fill you up sooner & keep you full longer.  Whereas carbs (not saying carbs are bad) are less filling & you will be hungry again sooner afterwards.

Eating little & often is also good for staving off hunger, but I think you probably already do that.  Drinking water helps.

I am not doing a diet, but I have changed the way that I eat gradually over time, without going too crazy on any fad (and I don't do powdered supplements/meal replacements - although a lot of gym people seem to do that, I don't believe in it & I'd rather have real food anyway, lol).  Most of my carb consumption is now in the form of fruit (and veg).  However, I do still eat all the other (mostly complex) carbs some of the time - one meal a day I'll have bread or pasta or rice etc.  Some days I eat more, so it's flexible.  I find that, for me, eating in this way helps to keep real hunger more at bay, and I have been slowly, steadily losing weight as well.

I think what you put down that you ate was fine!  I might add even a bit more protein onto it, if it were me.  One of the things that my trainer really praised me on was my diet - when I kept a food diary for her.  She said she sees so many people who are starving themselves throughout the day, because they are trying to lose weight, and often that has the opposite effect because then they get so hungry that they binge at the end of the day.  She said my diet was one of the healthiest she'd seen in awhile -- especially the amount of veg we consume (much like you PB)!  Well I have been cutting my booze & cake (and some carb consumption) right back over time, so that has helped.  ;) :)
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2012, 08:41:21 AM »
Thanks all, this has been good advice.  :)

J was the opposite of me, not hungry at all the day after. But he's more fit than me.

I do hope it levels off after I stick with doing this.  I think next time I will add more protein. 

Yay Mrs R, that's really quite good work ;D ;D
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2012, 01:59:28 PM »
If you're really and truly hungry just drinking water is only going to make you light-headed.  Listen to the wisdom of your body--if you're hungry then eat.

It's different if you're just having snacky cravings for crunchy or sweet or salty things or something, but actual hunger means your body needs fuel.

Absolutely, but after workouts people often confuse their need for water with hunger and it's often recommended that if you're eating normally and you're still hungry, you should try drinking water first to determine if you're truly hungry. I don't know if that's what PB's issue is because she did say that she thought she was well-hydrated, but it is what works for me. It's never made me light-headed.

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2012, 03:18:26 PM »
Good luck PB!
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

Sponsored Links