Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Travelling abroad during ILR processing  (Read 6790 times)

• Liked: 1
Travelling abroad during ILR processing
« on: November 03, 2012, 08:55:56 PM »
Hi everyone,

I hope that one of you clever people out there can help point me in the right direction. Im an American having lived in the UK for just over 5 years. I was on Tier 1 General and on June 25th submitted my application for ILR. I understand 95% of cases are reviewed within 6 months.

Today is the 2nd of Nov and I still have no news (apart from the confirmation of application receipt). I have a very important trip to South Africa planned for 8th Dec and am wondering what the rules are around travelling abroad during ILR processing should i not get it back by then.

I know that the US embassy could issue me an emergency passport, but does that negate my passport that I submitted with my ILR application?

I don't want to invalidate my application by leaving the country, but it's really important I go on this trip in Dec.

Any thoughts or advice out there?

Thanks so much
Jenn

• Liked: 4
Re: Travelling abroad during ILR processing
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 09:55:05 PM »
I'm pretty sure that travelling out of the country while your application is in process invalidates the application.  I wouldn't risk it.  You can withdraw a passport, but that also invalidates the application.  Here's an older thread with a long discussion of it:

http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=51299.0

• Liked: 1
Re: Travelling abroad during ILR processing
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 10:17:04 AM »
I was afraid that was going to be the answer. Thanks for the link. Fingers crossed they process it within the next 5 weeks!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab