Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Anyone Else?  (Read 2183 times)

• Liked: 0
Anyone Else?
« on: November 22, 2012, 12:25:00 AM »
My biggest problem in moving over here is that I feel like a person without a country now. I'm not British, which gets pointed out on a daily basis, but when I'm in the States, I'm not American enough anymore. I was backpacking for a few years (where I met my husband) so I was surrounded by other travelers and being from another country was the norm. Now that I've settled down, especially that I've settled in another country I feel a bit disconnected.
My other issue is I constantly get asked why I moved here. I'm from Florida and I moved to South Wales. I almost feel like telling people I'm from somewhere else so I stopped getting asked that. My answer is usually "because I love my husband" which is  part of the answer (after spending so much time in a long distance relationship who cares where you live?) but also I really like living in Cardiff and it's easier for my husband to get a job here and for my to get a visa here than it is for him to get either in the States. Explaining all this is getting really annoying and I end up not speaking much when we meet people so they don't pick up on my accent right away and can delay the inevitable conversation.
I'm not really looking for advice just needed somewhere to vent and wondered if I was the only one who felt like this? I talk to my husband about it but he doesn't totally get it and I don't want him to think that I'm unhappy here, because I'm not at all. Just a bit lost at the moment.

• Liked: 585
Re: Anyone Else?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 06:13:30 AM »
Explaining all this is getting really annoying

You are not obliged to explain anything to anyone!  When people ask me why I came to the UK, I either just laugh and say 'the weather', or 'the men'!  ;)
You could just say 'because I met my husband' or 'because I like it here'... that's all they need to know. 

• Banned

• Writer, married, semi-employed, and sorta happy...
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 08:42:18 AM »
Ah, yes, I know that feeling!

But, I've lived in several countries, so I've had that feeling on and off for my entire life.

Part of me will ALWAYS be 'A New Yorker' but now I just sort of consider myself to be a citizen of the world.

I do not suggest you respond to "Why did you move here? with "For the free benefits!" because most people did not find it nearly as funny as my hubby does...  ;)
“It was when I realised I had a new nationality: I was in exile. I am an adulterous resident: when I am in one city, I am dreaming of the other. I am an exile; citizen of the country of longing.” ― Suketu Mehta.

Married 04/13/11, in NYC.
Applied for Spouse Visa the following week, with express service, and I was approved 4 days later!
Arrived in the UK 05/20/11.
I took the stupid LIUK Test Oct. 2012.
We were granted ILR In Person in Croydon on 04/23/13.
Got BRP 2 days later, in mail box - it just appeared.

NEXT: The lil' red passpo

• Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 03:26:02 PM »
Ah, yes, I know that feeling!

But, I've lived in several countries, so I've had that feeling on and off for my entire life.

Part of me will ALWAYS be 'A New Yorker' but now I just sort of consider myself to be a citizen of the world.

This! With being a military brat and living in both the U.S. and abroad, I feel the same way. I tend to not let the comments bother me, I think for the most part they mean well and just don't understand how it feels. I do make a bit of a joke out of it though, usually I say "the brillant weather!" but generally I say "for love and family!" (My husband had 2 teenage daughters here and I didn't want to take their dad away, whereas I have no kids.)
~Amberelle

• Liked: 4
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 03:10:48 PM »
Only just noticed this thread, and I felt like commenting on the "why would you move here?! mentality."  This is something I've just got used to hearing here in S. Wales.  I don't think it phases me any more.  I've found that the Welsh are more open with asking questions like that (the number of times I've had that very conversation with checkers in the grocery store . . .)  I've come to realise that they are just being friendly and curious, and I don't think much of the question usually.  I don't come from somewhere sunny and warm like Florida, and I still get the question all the time.  I can imagine coming from one of the few places people are actually familiar with, you'll get it a lot.  I think that could make the conversation a bit more annoying for you.

I found that when I was working in the Vale of Glamorgan, it was less comfortable for me.  In Cardiff, people had a bit wider view of the world, but when I worked in Barry, they weren't as well travelled and it was the old "the grass is always greener" mentality.  They seemed more baffled and sometimes couldn't let it go.  I just tried to politely move on from those conversations, as it wasn't their business, and I didn't feel the need to convince them.  I did have one dentist from an Eastern European country who wouldn't let it go once--spent the whole hour I was in there shaking his head and exclaiming how mad I was to leave the USA.  I actually asked for a new dentist after this.  I think he was the only one who truly made me uncomfortable, and I couldn't get away.

I think it comes down to understanding why people are asking the question.  Usually for me, it has just been friendliness and curiosity.  I'm more than happy to respond to this as I'm chatty myself.  If it's intrusive, I'll keep the conversation short.  I love the suggestion of making a joke about coming for the lovely weather.  Others will laugh at this.  I often just say "my husband's from here and it's home now."  Sometimes I'll tell them how I love living in Wales--that it's green and beautiful and the people are friendly--this often gets a surprised reaction though.  You could throw in a bit of Welsh culture and say something like "I wanted to cwtch with my Welsh sweetheart and it just isn't the same in Florida." That should get a smile from any proud Welshman :)

Another bit will be adapting yourself to the idea of this being your home for the time being.  Maybe that is impacting how you respond to others reactions--making it feel more negative at times than you want it to be.  Maybe don't think of it so much as having a country, but this being home, here with your sweetheart.  I think the longer I was here, the less my being American seemed to be important.  I used to think and talk about it all the time, but now it's really just a sideline conversation.  It hardly comes up with friends or colleagues, and I just get the random curious conversation from the odd shopkeeper, and I just think of it as an excuse to get to know people in my community.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 01:21:19 AM »
I definitely feel afloat. I grew up in Cleveland, Ohio but moved to NYC when I was 20 and stayed for 12 years. Back to Cleveland for a few years till I met my (now) ex and moved to Switzerland with him. Stayed there over 7 years, and then on to Manchester nearly 3 years ago.

I don't feel American - and as far as the US goes, I don't feel particularly Cleveland or NYC. I don't feel Swiss, despite being a citizen and having a tremendous fondness for the place. I feel somewhat British, but of course not completely.

I never know what to say when British people ask "why did you move to MANCHESTER?!" I'll have to try the weather comment that some of you mentioned  ;D I usually just say "it is a long story" and try to change the subject. (it is a long, and rather personal story that ended in divorce...not something I really want to share with random people on the street!).

• Liked: 0
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 08:47:00 PM »
I am from CA and I always get the "Why are you living here?!" question...and I live in Guernsey, Channel Islands, a place that many Europeans consider a little paradise! Yet the islanders will constantly moan about their home, complaining that it couldn't possibly be as wonderful as glamorous California.

I think this point just proves that people are never satisfied with what they have. They will never be able to see how foreigners view their home and why people come to live there.

Sure, my husband being from here is 80% of why I'd like to live here, but I still do enjoy the place and I do get tired of explaining to everyone why I live somewhere when I have other options, but then again I guess they are just trying to make conversation.
Aug. 2010 - Met husband to be while teaching English at the same school in South Korea
Jul. 2012 - Moved to Guernsey, Channel Islands on a fiancé visa
Aug. 2012 - Got married! FLR granted
Aug. 2014 - ILR granted
Aug. 2015 - Applying for citizenship

• Liked: 3
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 09:37:09 PM »
I've been here 20 years and I still get the why did you move here question daily. It's nice that people take interest in me. I just smile and tell them I moved here for love and get on its my day! It's nice

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab