Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Getting my National Insurance Number, ugh.  (Read 5276 times)

• Liked: 0
Getting my National Insurance Number, ugh.
« on: January 25, 2013, 06:43:59 PM »
Pretty much everything I have tried to do has been met with some kind of hassle.  These have varied from major troubles causing really problems to minor inconveniences.  The latest was getting my National Insurance Number because ultimately I would like to get a job and stop spending all my savings. 

I walked down to my local JobCentre Plus armed with all my docs and was given a crappily printed out scrap of paper with a phone number on it and told to call there.  So much for all that info I read about going down to your JobCentre Plus and getting it.  I did read that getting an appointment so you know what forms to bring would help but I brought everything and thought I could set up the appointment there if they couldn't just see me.  Nope.  So I call the number and after being on hold longer than it took to walk to my local jobcentre I get someone I can barely understand to book my appointment...  in a city that is about 45 minutes away by train ride.  Okay fine.  I accept that I have to keep going to Norwich for everything.  Even though at this point I hate the place and am tired to spending money to get there.

My appointment was for Monday the 21st at 2:15pm.  It snowed during the weekend and it is a lovely mess because apparently England doesn't know what a plow or snow blower is.  So my husband, who is disabled and the winter really gets to him, and I leave extra early.  We take an earlier train just in case and then walk down to the JobCenter Plus in Norwich to make sure we know where it is then had lunch at a cafe right near there and wait for my appointment.  We go back for my appointment and even though there are people all over the place working, I am told the National Insurance Number people didn't come in that day.  None of them.  Not a single one.  Apparently because it snowed the day before they were not going to come in even though everyone else came in.  No one called me.  No one tried to cancel my appointment.  Instead they felt it okay that I risk my safety and get there for my appointment but they couldn't be bothered with holding up their end of the deal.

I was told I would get a call back to reschedule my appointment.  And we made sure that they were going to refund my travel expenses as well.  We turned around and went back home, very bitter.  I did not leave my flat waiting for this phone call.  It didn't come.  Instead I get a letter telling me I have another appointment, at a time that I cannot make because of the train schedule, and on a day we need to be home to get a prescription delivery (a very needed med that allows my husband mobility).  So again I have to wait on hold forever before getting someone and setting up another appointment.  I tried to get it to coincide with my other trip to Norwich for the Life in the UK test, but nope, they don't do that day.

I will call the Norwich location before I leave next time to make sure they arrived and my trip won't be for naught.  But I have to ask...  Why can't we just fill out a form with whatever visa it is we are applying for that grants us permission to work so that it will be prepared after the visa is accepted?  Wouldn't that be easier?  The immigration people will have looked at all the docs and will have verified ability to work, so it makes sense this would be an all in one process. 

I know this is not a huge deal to most but I guess after constant problems it gets to me that NOTHING will work they way you read about or or told or are instructed.

Meh, back to Norwich in February.  Maybe I can be blessed again and have another screaming toddler sit right next to me.

SealieP

• Liked: 12
Re: Getting my National Insurance Number, ugh.
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 07:36:07 PM »
 :(
All I can say is Boo to them!
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

• Liked: 114
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 08:21:04 PM »
Wow, I'm real sorry to hear about all the runaround you've been getting from these guys! ): Remember to take deep breaths...

What I don't understand is how I managed to get out of dealing with them unscathed... I called them, they mailed me a paper application, I filled it out and sent it back. A couple weeks later, I got another letter in te mail with my number. No offices, no appointments. What I would be curious to know is why some people seem to be put through such hellacious experiences, and why is the process not consistent?! It just doesn't make sense.

I hope you don't encounter so much trouble in the future and that you're able to get all this worked out.

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 08:35:03 PM »
I don't know if this is still the case, but it used to be that people with spousal visas (issued outside the UK) didn't need appointments, but people with FLR(M) who had switched from fiance visas, did. 
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

• Liked: 114
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 09:11:39 PM »
I don't know if this is still the case, but it used to be that people with spousal visas (issued outside the UK) didn't need appointments, but people with FLR(M) who had switched from fiance visas, did. 

Thanks for the clarification, historyenne. I wonder why that is - isn't the application process the same, save for where they're done?

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 11:50:54 PM »
I wasn't given as hard a time, but mine was pretty bad.

I came over on a spousal visa and immediately set to work trying to get a NIN. I called first to get the application form, was told it would arrive within two weeks. Four weeks later, I called back to say it had never come. When I tried to confirm the address, it turned out whoever had taken it down had only been half-listening, because they had only taken down half of it. So they changed it, and said to wait for another one to arrive within two weeks. Again.

Four weeks after that, I called again to say that I still hadn't received anything. So they said okay, then you'll have to come into your local Job Centre Plus. Lovely. So I scheduled the appointment, and even though I wasn't sure where this place was, my husband was familiar with the area. So on the day, we drove there uneventfully, and found the office with no problem. But when we got there, there was a big crowd of people outside, and after chatting to a few, we realised that all of them were there for the same thing as me, and had appointments for the same time. We all had to wait outside until the appointment time, then we were allowed to go in to reception and let them know we'd shown up.

An hour later, I was finally seen to by a nice lady. It went well enough. A couple weeks later I got my NIN in the mail. A couple weeks after that I got one of the applications that I had called for three months previously. A year later, I am still looking for a job, so it turns out I didn't need to really rush for the NIN.

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 01:18:47 AM »
I sympathise. However, its the same sort of rigmarole in the USA, but instead of making an appointment you go along to the local Social Security office, take a number and wait in line, sometimes for over 4 hours. And those offices are in scary parts of town, with no cellphones allowed, no food and drink etc.

• Mummy of Jean Kathleen and Thomas Patrick
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 07:10:38 AM »
It's been a few years since I got mine but I do recall having to go to Bedford for an interview to get mine, rather than go to the Leighton Buzzard Job Centre which was less than five minutes walk from our flat.
Maroon Passport Club!

• Now I'm home. :)
    • The Wordsmith Desk
  • Liked: 20
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 11:11:00 AM »
Sealpoint- that is just horrible. I would have been absolutely furious as well!

Getting my NIN was the one thing in this long family settlement path that went relatively smoothly for me. I had to make two trips to York and one to Sheffield before my biometrics could be registered (letters wouldn't scan), and then waited nearly TEN months with no information before my FLR(M) was granted. So in comparison, my NIN appointment was a piece of cake.

I called about a week after getting my FLR(M) in mid-December and was given an appointment three weeks later. My appointment was in Leeds, of course, and not at the Job Centre five minutes away. Hubby and I drove to the train station 15 minutes away (as the station at the end of our street doesn't run any direct trains to Leeds), got on a train for 35 minutes, and then walked another half-hour to the Job Centre. (To be fair, a faster walker than I probably could have made it in 20-25 minutes.)

The guy who saw me was great and we had a lot of laughs. However, the appointment took one hour, 20 minutes. My husband was not allowed to wait for me inside, even in the very large reception room. So after drinking his fill of tea in a cafe, he ambled around the rest of the time in the bitter cold. (If it were I left out in the cold, I could have easily dropped a bundle in the hundreds of shops there, but he is not so inclined. :) )

Anyway, I brought nearly all the paperwork that I had submitted for my  fiancee visa, and again for my FLR(M). The guy kept commenting on how organized I was. :D All of the information provided was also provided for these two visas, plus much of it was provided in Leeds for our marriage license. I, too wondered why, when applying for FLR(M) we can't fill out another form to apply for a NIN at the same time. It is such an exhausting, time-consuming, expensive process!!

Anyway, I received my NIN number in 13 calendar days. I do wonder though, why these letters do not require a signature, since the letter strictly warns the recipient not to share the number with anyone. I know someone whose letter seems to have gotten lost in the mail. :(
British Citizenship approval: May 2016
Ceremony: July 2016
Well, she was an American girl, raised on promises.
She couldn't help thinking that there was a little more to life, somewhere else.
After all it was a great big world, with lots of places to run to.
And if she had to die trying she had one little promise she was gonna keep.

Comprehensive CV/Résumé Preparation
Writing, Proofreading & Editing Services
www.thewordsmithdesk.co.uk

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2013, 02:15:20 PM »
SealieP what a terrible frustrating experience! I hope things go more smoothly in February!!

My appointment went alright a couple weeks ago - They did not send me an application, but told me just to go to the job centre which was about 30 miles away in London.  I was a bit confused when I got there - I thought my appointment time really meant that's when I was suppose to meet a job centre worker and work on my case. No, not really. When I got there I talked to reception, showed them my letter and they said (I was early) to come back at that time. I was really hoping to be able to sit down inside and stay warm... nope! When I came back at the correct time they had me jump in this gigantic line and wait outside for about 15 more mins, then we all shuffled into reception then went upstairs (hubby had to wait out in the cold almost 2 hours). When I asked if he could come up with me, they asked if I could speak english (of course, I just asked you in... English...) and because I could speak english he wouldn't need to go upstairs to translate (although there was a couple upstairs that I assume the partner was allowed up because they had a baby). I find it odd though, because there were two male friends/brothers? that were upstairs and I think Italian or something and the friend was telling the job centre people that they guy applying did not know any English and thate he could translate.  The workers told him that he would not be able to come sit with and help his buddy. He translated this info to his friend.  His friend, the guy applying, looked shocked and frightened and had to go by himself. Not quite sure why they let up a translator friend if they weren't going to let him help out. Poor guy! :o

Sat upstairs probably an hour in a waiting room full of 40 odd people who had the same appointment time.  Finally I was called. The worker wasn't really pleasant and asked if I had proof that I had a job refusal, I didn't, but I read it really shouldn't matter. She asked how can she be sure I actually want a job.  ... I'm here aren't I?... She marked that I didn't have a resume or proof of job refusal in a box on the form that said it could hurt your application. I asked her if it was a big deal, she says "we'll see." I also wasn't aware I was suppose to bring my resume.  It doesn't list it on the document of things to bring. I even pointed it out to the lady, she told me I should know better. Um ok.

I wasn't asked many questions except she got really confused when she asked about my heritage. I said Irish and American Indian. (Lady who was interviewing me was Indian) She exclaimed - why don't you have Indian passport then? Why did you give me only American one!? Where is your Irish Passport? She asked heritage, not nationality!  So I had to explain to her which I think made her even more confused. She didn't get what an American Indian was or Native American.  Being that she was Indian, I didn't want to offend her, I was at a loss as to what to say, finally I had to actually say "You know, like cowboys and Indians?"   ;D Still confused.  No clue what it says as my Nationality or heritage now. *shrug*

It took me about a week to get mine. Still job hunting. Not looking good so far.

• Now I'm home. :)
    • The Wordsmith Desk
  • Liked: 20
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2013, 02:43:09 PM »
Stealth - wow, another awful appointment.

My appointment was for 1:05 and I sat down with my interviewer at 1:07. I don't understand these centers making appointments for several people at one time. What an incredibly rude thing to do to people.

Also, I don't understand at all what applying for an NIN number has to do with having evidence of being refused a job??  And having NOT being refused for a job would hurt your application?? What am I missing?  I hadn't applied for any jobs before attending my appointment and I certainly didn't bring my CV, and I wasn't questioned about either. It seems there are different rules at different centers..........again!  Sounds like you had a lousy experience, sorry. :(
British Citizenship approval: May 2016
Ceremony: July 2016
Well, she was an American girl, raised on promises.
She couldn't help thinking that there was a little more to life, somewhere else.
After all it was a great big world, with lots of places to run to.
And if she had to die trying she had one little promise she was gonna keep.

Comprehensive CV/Résumé Preparation
Writing, Proofreading & Editing Services
www.thewordsmithdesk.co.uk

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2013, 10:51:09 PM »
Wow, I'm real sorry to hear about all the runaround you've been getting from these guys! ): Remember to take deep breaths...

What I don't understand is how I managed to get out of dealing with them unscathed... I called them, they mailed me a paper application, I filled it out and sent it back. A couple weeks later, I got another letter in te mail with my number. No offices, no appointments. What I would be curious to know is why some people seem to be put through such hellacious experiences, and why is the process not consistent?! It just doesn't make sense.

I hope you don't encounter so much trouble in the future and that you're able to get all this worked out.

I'm hoping that this will be what I have to do...although I did go on the website and saw that I could download the form. 

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2013, 07:18:42 PM »
Fallgal: It wasn't too bad, just frustrating that hubby had to stand outside in the cold for about 2 hours. (He had surgery a few days previous but insisted on coming thinking he could sit down in the waiting room, wrong!)

Yeah, I think you're right, every jobcentre sounds different. I've read a couple stories on the job forum about expat's experiences getting their NIN and they were asked different silly questions - there was one thread about how someone was asked what airline they used every time they came over and every date they came/left the country and what class cabin did they sit in during the flight.  I was only asked the date of my last flight here.  Interviewer didn't care about class, airline or if I ate peanuts during the flight... There have been a few threads about how you should bring proof of applying for jobs via job application rejection emails and so forth (The threads also mentioned it shouldn't really matter if you have proof, which it didn't matter in the end, so I don't understand the interviewers attitude) , but in the actual jobcentre letter it doesn't say jack squat about it so I don't get why they ask for it.  Why not put it on the list of things to bring on the letter?

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2013, 09:56:56 PM »
Thank for the support.  I had my second appointment.  I arrived 15 minutes early and they just had us wait in the waiting area.  I was seen by someone 15 minutes after my appointment.  I was shocked at the easy application that apparently I needed someone else to fill out for me.  It was a complete waste.  The guy kept messing it up where as I would not have as I know how to spell my name.  I was rather annoyed by it.  Plus he seemed really confused by my name change.  Then he said he would fill it out so that it would be in my married name and then wrote this long thing about how I haven't changed my name yet because of traveling in March.  I wish I hadn't mentioned that to him.  I had said in passing that I haven't been able to send it in yet because of those appointments needing it and now it was so close to my trip that I will have to wait until March.  In the end my number came addressed in the old name not the new so one more thing on the list to notify of change of name.  It just seems like such a waste of money to have so many people to fill out a form (incorrectly) for someone who could do it themselves free of charge.

I waited until the end of the appointment to mention compensation for the train ride there for the last appointment.  He said I didn't show up.  I pulled out the train tickets put them on the deck and described the guy I talked to, the email they sent out that was read off to me, and pointed out the desk the guy sat in to log in to see it to tell me about it.  Bullcrap I didn't show up.  Then he said, well we called you but there was no answer.  Okay, first of all my phone has an answering machine on it that picks up on the first ring.  So no, you did not call or else you would have gotten the machine which told me when I got home no one called.  Two, if you DID call and DID get a no answer wouldn't that then support me actually going to the appointment?  Some people don't have common sense I guess.  Finally he agreed to copy my original letter and MY train tickets not my husband's and said maybe next month I would get reimbursed.  I am betting I never will.

I just get it, everything here will be long and drawn out and a pain and cost me more money than I couldn't have imagined.

Oh and to the people who talked about the SSN lines, I never had an issue going to my local offices and I was lucky enough to have one within walking distance before moving to the UK so I popped on over one afternoon just to ask about the process to get my name changed on my SS card after getting married in the UK.  I found it really easy and quick, but that wasn't in a big city where I bet you would have to wait a long time. 

SealieP

• Liked: 1
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2013, 12:14:15 PM »
Just wanted to add my experience for future reference.

My appointment was in Welshpool (about an hour away from where I live). DH took the afternoon off to drive me there because my appointment time didn't fit in well with the train times. My appoinment was at 4:00 PM and I arrived 10 minutes early. The only people there were employed by the Job Centre. They took me right away. I was free to go at 4:02. They just made photocopies of my passport, my visas (both FLR (M) and the expired Fiance) and my council tax bill. They then filled out the application with just my name, date of birth, date of arrival, my address and my husband's details. I had to make sure it was all correct and that was it.

It was pretty painless. I'm relieved that it was straight forward, but kind of annoyed that my husband had to use some of his annual leave and the cost of petrol and parking, so a woman could make photocopies of my ID, but it is what it is.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab