Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Married to Updated Passport, step in-between to change name?  (Read 2797 times)

• Liked: 0
Married to Updated Passport, step in-between to change name?
« on: March 14, 2013, 02:15:05 PM »
Hi!

I'm Googling and searching on here, but can't get a straight answer.  I'm a US citizen in the UK on a student visa.  If I marry my UK boyfriend and choose to take his last name, does the UK marriage certificate being sent in with a new US passport application legally change my name (for the US) or is there a step in-between?  How do I get an updated SS card?

Thanks!

• Liked: 223
Re: Married to Updated Passport, step in-between to change name?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 02:28:49 PM »
Renewing your passport with your marriage certificate to change you name only changes your passport. 

You'll still need to change your social security card, US driving license, name on your US bank accounts, etc and some of those need to be done in person.

If you've got a BRP rather than a sticker in your passport, you'll need to change that within 3 months of changing your name on your passport.

But there's nothing saying you can't use your married name for everything but keep your passport and visa in your maiden name.  :)  As long as your passport and BRP (if you have one) match, you're fine.  :)
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 02:59:24 PM »
Thanks for the reply!  I have a few questions:

You're saying SS card needs to be done in person... where? Can I do the SS card from the UK?  I'm guessing I'll have to fly home for driver's license and bank stuff.

BRP? I don't know what that stands for so I can't make sense of what you're saying there.

• Liked: 223
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 03:09:34 PM »
BRP is Biometrics Residence Permit.  It's issued for all applications made within the UK (applications made outside the UK get a sticker in the passport, which you probably have now).  Once you get married and on a Spouse Visa/Further Leave to Remain, you'll be applying inside the UK and you'll get a BRP.  

If you change your passport name before applying for your FLR, your BRP will be in your married name.

If you change your passport name after applying for FLR, you'll have 3 months to change the name on your BRP and that process can take anywhere from a month or two to 8 months, I've heard.

It looks like you can change your name on your Social Security card by mail.

http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/315/~/change-a-name-on-a-social-security-card
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 03:12:51 PM by TravelingFrog »
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 03:19:09 PM »
Thanks for the clarification!  I really appreciate it.

Sponsored Links