Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Moving from California USA to London  (Read 1308 times)

• Laughter is not only the best medicine. It's free!
  • Liked: 0
Moving from California USA to London
« on: May 01, 2003, 10:04:59 AM »
Hello everyone!  My name is Linda, I'm 34 from California.  I will be moving to London by years end.  Since I've never travelled outside of the USA before, I'm interested in gathering as much info about the UK as possible.
Since I'm disabled I do have questions re medical care, transportation/access for the disabled and especially a question regarding passports. I have never had a passport and I am going to apply for one within the next two weeks. I read somewhere that a US passport must be valid for 6 months prior to being allowed into the UK.  Is this true??
Any info/suggestions would be most appreciated.
I look forward to getting to know you all!
Linda aka usabrowneyedgirl
Love & laughter, recalled through the years.  Dreams turned to memories, loves souvenirs!  Auth. Unk.

• wench
  • Gin-soaked Floozie

• Caution: wench on board
    • Wenchstead
Re: Moving from California USA to London
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2003, 01:37:38 PM »
I read somewhere that a US passport must be valid for 6 months prior to being allowed into the UK.  Is this true??

As far as I'm aware...no.  Certainly, I didn't have mine for very long before I flew over here!  :D

So unless they've changed the rules you should be able to fly over as soon as you have the passport.
wench
Ask and ye shall be babbled at.

• going to a warmer place
Re: Moving from California USA to London
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2003, 04:17:13 PM »
Hi Linda

I'm a fellow Californian (expat now). Get your passport at the post office. You can STAY here for six months without a visa. You should visit or call a British embassy before coming if you plan on staying longer. They won't tell you, but you CAN apply for permanent residency here, too.

As for accessibility, it really depends on exactly where you're moving to. London's bigger stores etc do have accessibilty, but most of the smaller shops do not. I don't believe they have the same laws here as in California.

If you have kids, you should make sure that this is really what you want, before moving here. There are a few problems with schools here (our public schools as you would know them), but some of them are great. Check out the area you plan on moving to and its catchment areas so that your kids don't have to put up with a crap school.

Be ready for an entirely different culture. People aren't as open and friendly here, especially not like California, although most are polite beyond belief. It takes a very long time to make friends. I imagine, though,  joining a social club or special interst group helps.

Try searching google for disabled accessibility London, this may help.

I hope you enjoy your planning and plotting!

-Lili

Sponsored Links