Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: A Few Questions  (Read 2262 times)

• Liked: 0
A Few Questions
« on: March 21, 2013, 03:40:09 PM »
I'll be moving to the UK early next year, and my boyfriend and I plan to get married in October. Since I'll be moving there, my mom is finding it difficult to come up with ideas to get me for a bridal shower/wedding gifts etc. since I can't really take kitchen items and things like that to England with me. I was wondering if you've found any way around this? Is there any way to use a site like Argos and pay with a card online from the US but have it delivered somewhere in the UK?
Don't know if it's possible but I just thought I'd ask!!!
Thank you!!! :)

Re: A Few Questions
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 03:45:56 PM »
The short answer is yes, though there are certain online retailers which have payment processing systems that reject foreign credit cards.  Why, I'm not sure -- this was just my experience when I lived in the UK.  I don't know if Argos is one of those -- I do recall that in the stores you could only pay with a chip and pin card (not a swipey only card).  You can always call to check.  However, also be aware that unless the American buyers are paying with a Capital One credit card, they will get hit with a foreign transaction fee, which typically ranges anywhere from 1.5-3%. 
3 Dec 11 - Engaged in Provence
8 Jul 12 - Married in Glasgow
1 Mar 13 - Spousal Visa Application Submitted Online
6 Mar 13 - Biometrics Taken
8 Mar 13 - Application Mailed to UK Consulate in NYC - Priority Settlement Service
12 Mar 13 - Application Received in NYC (via UPS tracking)
15 Mar 13 - Application Received in Sheffield and Being Processed
18 Mar 13 - A Decision Has Been Made
20 Mar 13 - Visa Received!!!

• Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 03:47:50 PM »
I'll be moving to the UK early next year, and my boyfriend and I plan to get married in October. Since I'll be moving there, my mom is finding it difficult to come up with ideas to get me for a bridal shower/wedding gifts etc. since I can't really take kitchen items and things like that to England with me. I was wondering if you've found any way around this? Is there any way to use a site like Argos and pay with a card online from the US but have it delivered somewhere in the UK?
Don't know if it's possible but I just thought I'd ask!!!
Thank you!!! :)

People stateside can buy things on amazon.co.uk. UK appropriate appliances and they only have to pay local shipping to UK addresses that way, too. That's the only one I am sure of but there may be others.
"It takes a leap of faith to get things going. In your heart, baby, you must trust..."

• Liked: 3
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 05:03:15 PM »
Yes you can. Before DW moved here, as a Christmas present she bought me a blender from Argos online and had it delivered!
"We don't want our chocolate to get cheesy!"

• Liked: 223
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 08:34:06 AM »
From US family, we've gotten vouchers for Amazon.co.uk, Nisbets (UK catering store where we got our awesome pots and pans) and I'm pretty sure they'd be able to get cards for Debenhams, John Lewis and other big department stores online.

vandyalum is right- they will get charged a foreign currency conversion fee, but warn family ahead of time and point out that it's less than shipping and we know we're getting something we want and something that will work here, so it shouldn't be an issue.

:)
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 03:37:48 PM »
Oh good!! Thank you guys!!! My mom was kinda sad that she can't really buy wedding gifts for me because I can't easily take things to England with me. So she'll be really excited to hear that!!!

• Liked: 718
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 03:55:40 PM »
People stateside can buy things on amazon.co.uk. UK appropriate appliances and they only have to pay local shipping to UK addresses that way, too. That's the only one I am sure of but there may be others.

+1

We use Amazon.co.uk all the time from the USA to buy stuff for folks in the UK.  Our 2 children have also done the same, buying gifts for their UK relations.  First time our son did it, buying a gift for his Godson, he forgot to select the correct shipping address and they shipped it to him in the USA.  He then had to ship it back to his Godson in the UK.  He didn't make that mistake the 2nd time :)

Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab