Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: What. the. F***?!  (Read 4262 times)

Re: What. the. F***?!
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2013, 08:20:43 AM »
HI LADIES! It is my fault.

Are you sure it's your fault?  I swear it's mine because every time I've left the country DH used to tell me about the sunny weather they were having.  As soon as I'd come back each time it would be rainy and miserable on out. 

I mentioned to a friend the other day I missed seeing the sun, so he sent me a youtube video of "a British sun" which ended up being the creepy baby sun from Teletubbies (Never knew it was a British show).  I never want to see that sun again...  :o

• If you take my breath away...
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2013, 09:04:41 AM »
Hey ksand, I was wondering what your professional opinion is of the report that this sort of weather system is going to predominate for the next month?
...the whole damn thing will turn
and return redefined, rearranged, rearranged...

• Liked: 2
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2013, 10:58:18 AM »
I don't know what's going on...but I'm not liking it. I agree with Fallgal though, I'll take this over the unbearably, hot, and sticky weather. If only it would hit about 75...and just stay there, I'd be happy  ;D Not asking for much am I???
09/08/2011-Glyn leaves for UK
01/30/2012-Biometrics for UK spousal & dependent visas sent out w/ application same day
02/03/2012-Email from UK Consul General application needs further processing will receive decision within 10 working days.
02/09/2012-Request for more payslips and custody papers for daughter.
02/22/2012-Submit the requested documents with prayers.
02/24/2012-UK settlement visas issued :)
03/12/2012-Arrive in MAN UK :)

• Liked: 3598
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2013, 02:07:17 PM »
Hey ksand, I was wondering what your professional opinion is of the report that this sort of weather system is going to predominate for the next month?

Honestly, I can't really help with that at the moment... I'm in Hong Kong right now, where it's 75 degrees (just spent the day at Disneyland - we had 2 big thunderstorms this afternoon):)!

Apart from reading the forum and seeing the snow on the BBC News website, I haven't really been paying much attention to what's going on back in the UK :P.

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2013, 02:20:38 PM »
Well the Jet Stream is still way down south over the Med, so it's not bringing up the warmer air mass needed to warm things up here. They're long-range forecasting that'll happen now in mid- to late April. Meanwhile, we're stuck with the freezing northerly air mass to the north of current Jet Stream flow. :(
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

• Liked: 1
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2013, 02:45:56 PM »
Well the Jet Stream is still way down south over the Med, so it's not bringing up the warmer air mass needed to warm things up here. They're long-range forecasting that'll happen now in mid- to late April. Meanwhile, we're stuck with the freezing northerly air mass to the north of current Jet Stream flow. :(

When the wind isn't blowing, it's not so bad (in Shropshire).

Anyway, I'll happily take mid-50's and for the snow to melt. That's all I want. Please?  :\\\'(

• Liked: 4
Re: Re: Re: What. the. F***?!
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2013, 04:21:37 PM »
HI LADIES! It is my fault.

I moved over in September of 06 and it is has been terrible ever since. 

We are considering moving to another country this year, so next year should be awesome. 

Stay tuned.

See I thought it was my fault. I moved here Nov. 06 and everyone said "don't worry. Winters are rubbish, but the summer makes up for it-you'll see." Yeah, I haven't had a summer since then. Nobody says that to me anymore.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2013, 05:02:41 PM »
Anyway, I'll happily take mid-50's and for the snow to melt. That's all I want. Please?

Ha ha, when I spoke about it (hopefully) warming up, that's all I was talking about - kinda normal-ish. As for any more than that, well...  [smiley=blank.gif]

See I thought it was my fault. I moved here Nov. 06 and everyone said "don't worry. Winters are rubbish, but the summer makes up for it-you'll see." Yeah, I haven't had a summer since then. Nobody says that to me anymore.

It could be that 2006 was the last good summer, and you missed it!  :P

Interesting comment piece from the Guardian today:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/mar/28/how-government-end-long-winter

So, we should immigrate?!  ;D

Or maybe the government should appoint a Minister of Cold Weather? I think it worked pretty well last spring when they instituted the hosepipe ban in a number of counties down south, and look what happened. The heavens opened & it just never stopped raining to the point that Summer 2012 was cancelled altogether.  ::)
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

• Liked: 4991
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2013, 05:05:54 PM »
I think it worked pretty well last spring when they instituted the hosepipe ban in a number of counties down south, and look what happened. The heavens opened & it just never stopped raining to the point that Summer 2012 was cancelled altogether.  ::)

One of my favorite topics from last year, "We're getting the wrong kind of rain."

Ahhh, still makes me laugh!   ;D

• Liked: 36
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2013, 08:54:07 PM »
Hi,

It's the national pastime topic again !!

It's well known that the UK, overall has quite rubbish weather - that's why the 'Brits' love to complain, whinge and moan about it no matter what - in 'summer' it's too hot, and in 'winter' its too cold!

Aside from the banter, then looking at the actual weather in recent years it has been worse than usual. I got my fix of warmth in LA/Vegas/Atlanta last April and hopefully back out US side in Mid May, but the moment I stepped out of Heathrow to that 'grey' and rain it was the first time really I actually felt 'down' or 'disheartened' about the UK weather. Of course, the fact it continued like that pretty much all the way through the following 4/5 months for the 2nd wettest summer on record made me complain a bit more about it!

Currently we have an unusual stint of cold weather again, yes, many USA/Canadians used to the 'winters' there know it's much more severe and don't think the world has ended after 3 inches of snow like the Brits do, but the 'cold' here is damp and miserable and it really does 'go through you' !

In a few weeks when this cold stint clears and we get perhaps 2 weeks of 'nice' weather, the UK will get pumped up that the 'Met Office' predicts a nice warm summer! - happens every year and we know our hopes will be dashed! in the small chance that we do actually get some summer, then the papers will proudly exclaim that 2 days of 87F will be a 'heatwave' and that 'Britain Swelters' in temperatures hotter than Spain or Italy ! and then we'll have 2 weeks of cold again!

I'm petitioning for the next Olympics to have an event for which country complains the most ..   ;)

Cheers, DtM! West London & Slough UK!

P.S. - trust the various people connected with the 'weather' to be off someplace warm right now! ;)

« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2013, 11:23:58 AM »
One of my favorite topics from last year, "We're getting the wrong kind of rain."

Ahhh, still makes me laugh!   ;D

I remember that when I used to go up to lancing before my grandparents died, that most years they had a hosepipe ban, even after 2006. It's because in the South East their water comes from resevoirs but the South's comes from underground. (Maybe south west as well, I dunno really.)

Generally we are going to be one of the few countries to get colder because of Global Warming, it changes where the jet stream is and we can get a weather system from Russia, which is what happened Jan 2012, and winter was so bad here, but not as bad as Eastern Europe.

Also we are a maritime climate, which means that it's gonna be a generally mild climate, and that's not gonna change unless the Gulf Stream stops, then we'd be more like south-middle Norway (Depending whether you are north or south in the UK)

At least we get the right kind of snow, as until 2007, it wasn't sticky enough to make snowmen with it....:(

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2013, 12:47:16 PM »
I think people forget that the UK is further North than anywhere in the US outside Alaska. It's also influenced by about half a dozen different weather zones making the weather some of the least predictable in the world. Just one of the joys of living here. On the upside it's not too bad for hurricanes or tornados.  :)

« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2013, 09:01:25 PM »
Yup the south coast is just above the main, US-Canada Border (Not the lakey bit.)
So for how north it is, it's the carribean (I can't spell) of the North! XD

« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2013, 09:24:51 PM »
Nice weather on South Harris this week :)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 09:31:03 PM by Alan B »

« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2013, 10:31:07 PM »
Nice weather on South Harris this week :)

How beautiful!  :)
August 2008 - Tier 4 - Student Visa
February 2010 - Tier 1 - PSW
January 2012 - FLR(M)
June 2014 - ILR (finally!)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab