Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Can I bring outdoor grill, etc?  (Read 2039 times)

• Liked: 0
Can I bring outdoor grill, etc?
« on: October 14, 2004, 09:54:48 AM »
Hello everyone -

The moving van is coming on Tuesday and I still don't know whether I can bring some items to the UK.  Agh!!  Maybe you can help...

A propane-powered, outdoor Weber grill
Gas powered lawn equipment; mower, blower, weed wacker

Computer monitor and printer - I know my CPU has the 110/220 switch, but should I buy a transformer and all of the coordinating gadgets or just buy a new monitor when I arrive?

Thanks for your help.  Kate

• Hi there.
Re: Can I bring outdoor grill, etc?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2004, 12:23:51 PM »
We just did the jump in Aug with 3 kids! ---

BRING IT ALL  (if you know you will have the space)

We brought the nice grill -- don't worry about bringing the propane tank (they couldn't fill ours b/c the fittings were different)  I had to take the hose to a gas guy and he put the proper fittings onto it.  We are enjoying BBQ regularly!

Bring all the lawn stuff (if you know you will have a need for it).  We had the lawn mover checked up before we brought it so all we had to do was add gas (most moving companies will require the mower to be empty of gas).  If you are really prepared - buy a new gas can to bring over also. 

I bought all the stuff for the computer before I made the jump b/c I knew where to get it and it was cheaper.  I haven't found as nice transformers over here; but I am sure they are here -- just have to look.   I bought UK electrical cables for my computer and monitor in the US -- no problems when they arrived; just plugged everything in!  (BTW - if you have a Dell computer - most are dual voltage; but you do have to flip a switch).  Currently running my printer from the transformer.  If you are bringing US electronics - I would recommend 1 high power steup down transformer (at least 1500 w) -- you can run most everything no problem -- we have been using it for everything: charging the toothbrushes,  printer, charging PDA and sewing machine.

Good Luck on the move -- I know it can be really stressful!!!

Feel free to email if you have anymore questions.

Michelle

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2004, 10:08:35 PM »
Michelle - Thank you so much for all of your help!  Where did you buy the stuff for the computer and the transformer?  Do you think I will be able to have it at my house by Tuesday? 

How are your children doing in school?  Mine start at the beginning of the mid-term and I am a little worried about my 3rd grade son who will be entering Year 4.

Thanks again!

Kate

• Hi there.
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2004, 01:04:53 PM »
Not sure where you live; but I got my stuff at  http://www.lashen.com/ 
(I happened to live within driving distance of the store).   Call a local electronics store (the type that sells to electricians NOT radio shack-type).

My 2 older children are only 5 and 4 - so the school wasn't a big issue for them; although we did choose to put them into a 'private' school.  I am sure your son will make the adjustment with a little time.

We live in Cheltenham in Gloucestershire - What area are you moving to?

Good Luck!  ;D

Sponsored Links