Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Short, Affordable 'Basics of Web Design' Course in London?  (Read 1648 times)

• Banned

• Writer, married, semi-employed, and sorta happy...
  • Liked: 4
Hello!

this might seem a bit 'random' but I just thought I would ask...

Has anyone taken a short and affordable 'web design basics' course in London, or do you maybe know of a good course that a friend took?

I do not need uni credit, or a certificate of any kind, so I just just a short course.

Not at a University where they will charge me more money because I have not yet been here for three years! And, I do not need a student visa!

I know, there are online tutorials. I want to take a class. In person.

I am here (for two years already) on a spouse visa, and I just want to take a class in the basics of Web Design, as an adult learner, for fun. 

Anyone have any suggestions on a good, non-credited, affordable, adult learning, 'web design basics' course?!

Many thanks!
L.
“It was when I realised I had a new nationality: I was in exile. I am an adulterous resident: when I am in one city, I am dreaming of the other. I am an exile; citizen of the country of longing.” ― Suketu Mehta.

Married 04/13/11, in NYC.
Applied for Spouse Visa the following week, with express service, and I was approved 4 days later!
Arrived in the UK 05/20/11.
I took the stupid LIUK Test Oct. 2012.
We were granted ILR In Person in Croydon on 04/23/13.
Got BRP 2 days later, in mail box - it just appeared.

NEXT: The lil' red passpo

• Liked: 0
Re: Short, Affordable 'Basics of Web Design' Course in London?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 11:10:00 PM »
Hello. I am a web designer and I wish I could help you with that but I am over in America til I get over there later this summer.  But you could call around to some of the universities. I did checked out University of Liverpool and I believe they have a lifelong learning center for people like you who just wants to have learning.  I do know that most web design courses can be done either in person or even online from home which I did. 
Met my Brit on April 28, 2012

• Banned

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 11:26:32 PM »
Thanks Becca!!!!

xoxxooxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xox!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
“It was when I realised I had a new nationality: I was in exile. I am an adulterous resident: when I am in one city, I am dreaming of the other. I am an exile; citizen of the country of longing.” ― Suketu Mehta.

Applied for Spouse Visa the following week, with express service, and I was approved 4 days later!

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 11:35:15 PM »
You are so quite welcome!  :)

• Liked: 533
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 08:50:24 AM »
I took basic html (the code used in building a site) through Open University. But I think you are feeling it would be better to actually attend a class - with a teacher and students to mingle with.

A lot of colleges offer adult education courses...and I have seen a few classes offered here through the library....

I might suggest more of an into to the web type of course than coding as I think a lot of people now don't even bother with setting up sites from scratch. You can set up a site in minutes using blogs and such while I'm sitting here with a code book for hours trying to figure out how to move an image over to the other side of the screen. But if you like to tinker/have total control then an intro to html/css would get you started.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Banned

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 10:07:03 AM »
Oh, thank you... Yeah, Wordpress and all that, right?

Yeah I just want a summer class, in something I do not know much about, for fun.

I will check out some libraries too - I had not really thought of that. Because ours closed.  :(

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 01:41:19 PM »
I took basic html (the code used in building a site) through Open University. But I think you are feeling it would be better to actually attend a class - with a teacher and students to mingle with.

A lot of colleges offer adult education courses...and I have seen a few classes offered here through the library....

I might suggest more of an into to the web type of course than coding as I think a lot of people now don't even bother with setting up sites from scratch. You can set up a site in minutes using blogs and such while I'm sitting here with a code book for hours trying to figure out how to move an image over to the other side of the screen. But if you like to tinker/have total control then an intro to html/css would get you started.

Yeah, I was from the old school where they taught us to code from scratch but it was just from one class tho.  I do know some of the basics for HTML and CSS.  Now I wish they had offered Wordpress courses and such of which I just found out after I graduated that they are starting to offer those.   :(

I will learn it on my own eventually, after I get settled in the UK, and that will give me something to do when I can't work for 5 years on the fiance visa and also on the FLR.  And I am also planning on taking up photography as well.  I will keep plenty busy!  ;D

• Liked: 223
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 01:57:42 PM »
I will learn it on my own eventually, after I get settled in the UK, and that will give me something to do when I can't work for 5 years on the fiance visa and also on the FLR.  And I am also planning on taking up photography as well.  I will keep plenty busy!  ;D

(not to detract from the thread, but I just wanted to clarify....)

You cannot work on the Fiance Visa, but after you're married and have FLR (Further Leave to Remain), you CAN work.   ;D
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

• unabridged opinions
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 02:02:30 PM »
Check out libraries as well. Ours (in Manchester) offers a load of courses, including one on basic graphic design and a separate one on website design. They are usually free/cheap and often taught by local instructors, who might know where else to go next after you've done that course.

Becca3, knowing CSS and other bits and bobs is actually brilliant for Wordpress and the like; I use my CSS knowledge to design my own templates or work with already created ones.

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 02:12:40 PM »
TravelingFrog> Yes, I know I can't work during my fiance visa.  I know I will have to wait til after I am married.  lol.

Jennie> CSS does come in handy for cases like that.  Also, I love your British English! Bits and bobs.   :D That is cute! Let's all speak British.  lol. Is that a dandy!!

• Banned

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2013, 02:24:00 PM »
A lot of the universities, even for Summer courses for no credit, charge people 'international rates' when they have not lived in the UK for 3 or more years, and I have only been here for two years. And, the international rates are soooo high.

So, thanks for the library tip! I will totally look into that!!!!!

• unabridged opinions
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2013, 02:58:25 PM »
TravelingFrog> Yes, I know I can't work during my fiance visa.  I know I will have to wait til after I am married.  lol.

Jennie> CSS does come in handy for cases like that.  Also, I love your British English! Bits and bobs.   :D That is cute! Let's all speak British.  lol. Is that a dandy!!

Heee, oh dear, after five years here I suppose it's inevitable. I will hang onto the words "Dude" and "awesome" forever though. Can't let anyone totally forget I'm from SoCal!

I think Traveling Frog wanted to tell you you don't have to wait 5 years to work. Just until after you are married.

LM, yes, libraries are awesome. Universities are pretty stuck, I'm afraid, with the international vs home rates-- in many cases they have to charge you an international rate until you qualify for the home one.

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2013, 03:01:03 PM »
Thank you Jennie! I am glad I don't have to wait 5 years to work.  Tho, I did tell my fiance that I want to take a break for about 6 months after we are married before I start working. He was fine with that.   :)

Sponsored Links