Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: How long did it take you to adjust to the new time zone?  (Read 3116 times)

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
Re: How long did it take you to adjust to the new time zone?
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2013, 12:03:59 PM »
My husband thinks it's the knock-on effects of burnout (three years of work/freelance/second uni degree, then with the added visa/moving/etc nonsense the past four months on top of it all) and that I should stop feeling guilty about naps.

I second your husband's advice! Relax. Breathe.  [smiley=sleeping2.gif]
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2013, 12:22:04 PM »
I second your husband's advice! Relax. Breathe.  [smiley=sleeping2.gif]
Hee! As the vote is unanimous, I shall! ::breathes, relaxes, takes nap:: :D

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2013, 12:35:29 PM »
Although I don't take them nearly as often as I'd like (I'd like one every day!), I'm a big fan of naps! I often think my naptime sleep is so much better & more satisfying than my nighttime sleep.

I might have to take one today in fact!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 12:42:47 PM by Mrs Robinson »
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2013, 03:55:44 PM »
Although I don't take them nearly as often as I'd like (I'd like one every day!), I'm a big fan of naps! I often think my naptime sleep is so much better & more satisfying than my nighttime sleep.

I might have to take one today in fact!
Totally agree on all of that. Conclusion: Naps are magic!

• Liked: 0
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2013, 07:44:45 PM »
OMG, I am not crazy for thinking that something is wrong with me because I don't feel fully acclimated yet! I arrived here on June 16 with my dog to be with my fiancé. I had no reservations (and still don't) about choosing the UK as our home country. We met, fell in love, got engaged. Once we choose the UK, I put my house on the market in America, sold a majority of my belongings, quit my stressful job of 16 years and moved all within a few months. It was a whirlwind to say the least. Just the other day I woke up at 6:45 (which I do every day to take care of my dog while my fiancé gets ready for work) had to go back to bed and slept almost until noon! I never do that. I don't do naps yet I have found myself taking several of them a week. After the jet lag, I felt a renewed sense of energy but that comes and goes now. I am not working yet or driving but I plan to be doing both within a few months. I have my eye on a certain organization I want to work at and when a position pops up that is up my alley, I hope to get my foot in the door. And I have now contacted someone for driving lessons. I am doing volunteer work in America from here so it does take up some time and energy during the day/evening. While learning new things in a new country can be fun and exciting, I feel like it also takes up a bit of energy and feels overwhelming at times  ::)

Just today my fiancé's mother asked if I had found a job yet and is wondering what I am doing during the day... We laughed and I told him to tell her that I am sitting at home eating bon bons  ;) lol...

Has anyone used those SAD lamps and do they help at all?

Bye for now,
Nikki

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2013, 11:49:41 PM »
OMG, I am not crazy for thinking that something is wrong with me because I don't feel fully acclimated yet! I arrived here on June 16 with my dog to be with my fiancé. I had no reservations (and still don't) about choosing the UK as our home country. We met, fell in love, got engaged. Once we choose the UK, I put my house on the market in America, sold a majority of my belongings, quit my stressful job of 16 years and moved all within a few months. It was a whirlwind to say the least. Just the other day I woke up at 6:45 (which I do every day to take care of my dog while my fiancé gets ready for work) had to go back to bed and slept almost until noon! I never do that. I don't do naps yet I have found myself taking several of them a week. After the jet lag, I felt a renewed sense of energy but that comes and goes now. I am not working yet or driving but I plan to be doing both within a few months. I have my eye on a certain organization I want to work at and when a position pops up that is up my alley, I hope to get my foot in the door. And I have now contacted someone for driving lessons. I am doing volunteer work in America from here so it does take up some time and energy during the day/evening. While learning new things in a new country can be fun and exciting, I feel like it also takes up a bit of energy and feels overwhelming at times  ::)

Just today my fiancé's mother asked if I had found a job yet and is wondering what I am doing during the day... We laughed and I told him to tell her that I am sitting at home eating bon bons  ;) lol...

Has anyone used those SAD lamps and do they help at all?

Bye for now,
Nikki

I'm still struggling, albeit vastly less than before. Now that I'm working in an office, I have a routine, which helps. I did a lot of napping and a lot of sleeping in and just generally letting my body recover, and I intend to do that as I can until I feel back to 100 percent. I recommend just listening to your body and letting the rest happen.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 11:51:52 PM by hms_seahorse »

• Liked: 6
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2013, 12:02:49 AM »
I am doing volunteer work in America from here so it does take up some time and energy during the day/evening.

This is a violation of the terms of your fiancé visa which prohibits taking any work paid or unpaid and includes working/volunteering remotely for a US entity.

While learning new things in a new country can be fun and exciting, I feel like it also takes up a bit of energy and feels overwhelming at times  ::)

Just today my fiancé's mother asked if I had found a job yet and is wondering what I am doing during the day... We laughed and I told him to tell her that I am sitting at home eating bon bons  ;) lol...

Tell her you can't take a job until after you are married AND you have successfully applied for and received further leave to remain as a spouse.

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2013, 08:23:17 AM »
Oh I should have clarified that I am not here on fiancé visa. I have dual citizenship and entered the UK on my Irish passport  ;D. I love my volunteer work in America and that would have been tough for me had I had to come here on the fiancé visa which would have prohibited me continuing it as you said.

Bye for now,
Nikki

« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2013, 09:06:28 AM »
I very much relate to still getting adjusted. I arrived on July 14th and am still feeling tired all of the time. I started work within 3 days of arriving, so am in a routine, but I go to bed early most nights. Last night I went to bed at 9! I can't wait to feel normal again.

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2013, 12:41:38 PM »
I very much relate to still getting adjusted. I arrived on July 14th and am still feeling tired all of the time. I started work within 3 days of arriving, so am in a routine, but I go to bed early most nights. Last night I went to bed at 9! I can't wait to feel normal again.

My husband and I flew A LOT over the 30 months we were dating (over two dozen trips between the two of us), and he felt as if it took him a good six months after his last trip to the States to bounce back properly. All that living on two time zones was rough on both of us -- I only now feel up to 85%, but it's getting better faster, now (Saturday will be three months since I moved). I completely understand your frustration, but I feel as if I'm doing better now that I've decided to not waste energy being frustrated, and just get on with the recovery process. Take care of yourself!

Sponsored Links