Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Great Article About Making Friends as a Grownup!!  (Read 4728 times)

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 840
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
Re: Great Article About Making Friends as a Grownup!!
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 06:33:09 PM »
Good stuff. It is really basically like dating but without the sex.
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 06:35:48 PM »
That is a great article! Thanks for that.  :)

Another thing I would add to it - is be the kind of friend that you'd like to have yourself. Make yourself available, be flexible, willing to listen, etc. Building friendships is all about the give & take & sometimes I think people are expecting it all to come to them when they might think about what they have to give - even just a friendly face, a shoulder, a helping hand, etc.  :)
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

• Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 07:20:03 PM »
Very good to read -- thanks, phatbeetle.

The encouragement to contact people directly instead of checking Facebook really resonates with me.
2011 -- Fiancée visa granted
2012 -- Moved to UK, married, applied for FLR(M)
2013 -- FLR(M) granted

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 07:53:36 PM »
This is definitely necessary for starting new abroad!
Aug. 2010 - Met husband to be while teaching English at the same school in South Korea
Jul. 2012 - Moved to Guernsey, Channel Islands on a fiancé visa
Aug. 2012 - Got married! FLR granted
Aug. 2014 - ILR granted
Aug. 2015 - Applying for citizenship

• Liked: 3
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 09:44:09 PM »
I could have written this word for word!

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 10:48:19 AM »
Some good advice here!  :) Thanks for sharing, PB!  :)

• Liked: 8
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 10:53:34 AM »
Thanks for posting this. I find my discouragement at starting over in a new country (my 3rd country) now that I'm no longer in my 20s is so strong, that it overshadows everything that is going right in my life in the UK.

I haven't lived in the USA for 13 years, but by US standards I was shy/introverted, never behaving like this article suggests. In Canada I was more outgoing, but younger, so I still ended up with a great social context eventually (and wasn't on Facebook then, either). In the UK I am the loudest, most outgoing person in the world--and I force myself to do the things in this article, because otherwise I would never, ever get anywhere with anyone, though I've lived here for almost 4 years! It is the #1 frustrating thing and really makes me miss places that are more familiar.

This article makes me feel I should try even harder (it doesn't help that my British partner always says "it shouldn't be hard, this is your home" when I AM trying hard. But I'm sure there's another topic about how Brits who have lived here their whole lives are happy with the 1 friend they already have...)
7/2000 - Emigrated USA to Canada
4/2008 - Met British partner
9/2009 - Moved to UK on Proposed CP/Fiance visa
12/2009 - Civil partnership
3/2010 - FLR(M)
2012 (? it's all a blur, but "old rules") - ILR
9/2013 - Naturalised/Right of Abode
2/2017 - Cannot leave UK until Canadian passport returned by the Home Office!

• Liked: 3
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2013, 12:06:42 AM »
Great article!  Thanks for sharing!  :)
13 Aug 13 Fiancé visa application submitted online
  2 Oct 13 Visa received via UPS
29 Oct 13 Arrived in the UK!
20 Jan 14 Ring-a-Ding Ding!
18 Feb 14 FLR(M) submitted via post
26 Feb 14 Biometrics submitted at Post Office
  7 Apr 14 Biometrics Residence Permit approval notification letter & card arrive (separately) via signed post
16 Sept 16 2nd FLR(M) Approved in-person in Sheffield
21 Aug 18  Passed LIUK
5 Mar 19 Applied IRL; 18 Mar 19 priority appt in NCL; 19 Mar 19 ILR granted; 21 Mar 19 DX delivery of BRP

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2013, 04:05:38 PM »
Mrs. Robinson--re. something you said on another thread--I gave the book club maybe-friend the coffee invitation. She turned me down, as expected, but you advised 3-5 goes, so she gets at least 2 more chances! Lord these people are hard work ;-)

Thanks
3/2010 - FLR(M)

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2013, 04:25:57 PM »
Aw, I'm sorry to hear that, candyann!  :(

I'm glad to hear you gave it a go, however.  :) Did she give a reason?  If she ends up not going for it, then it's her loss - don't take it personally.  :)

If all else fails, find your local expats! I'm serious - this is what worked for me (whether it's the 'preferred' thing to do or not, lol!). If you're in London, there should be a ton of you around. Check meetup.com or if you're on Facebook - there's a bunch of different American expat groups on there (PM if you want some suggestions). Other expats do tend to understand what you're going through, IME - they've been a lifesaver for me, listening ear, sympathetic shoulder, etc. Back in the beginning, I organised things - expat meetups, meals, coffees, etc...sometimes nobody came, and then they did, and then more came. And then all of sudden we were making friends all over the place like a house on fire.  :)

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2013, 04:38:36 PM »
Mrs. Robinson--re. something you said on another thread--I gave the book club maybe-friend the coffee invitation. She turned me down, as expected, but you advised 3-5 goes, so she gets at least 2 more chances! Lord these people are hard work ;-)

Thanks

Sorry to hear that, candyann. But it's like dating - you have to kiss a lot of frogs, etc., etc., etc.  ;)
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2013, 03:31:13 PM »
Thanks, chary. I agree with those who said it's like dating, kind of. In a friendship context it is harder to understand, though--while you may not feel "that way" about a potential date, I personally feel you can never have too many friends. But...

Mrs. Robinson, we were both working yesterday and she was on a deadline before the Bank Holiday weekend. True, of course. I am not even that bothered, I just think it is kind of funny, because I know and can tell that this person is really shy (as well as, as she would be the first to describe herself, really British). I like your suggestions to try other expats as well. I was resistant at first, but sometimes it's just nice to hear a familiar language so to speak--and it is nice, once in a while, to talk to someone who understands the experience. I think if someone has always lived in a country they just naturally feel like it's home, without giving it thought or choice.

Thanks again for all the good suggestions!
3/2010 - FLR(M)

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2013, 04:10:53 PM »
Check this thread out - some London peeps are wanting to get together:

http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=80787.0

:)

...and she was on a deadline before the Bank Holiday weekend. True, of course. I am not even that bothered, I just think it is kind of funny, because I know and can tell that this person is really shy (as well as, as she would be the first to describe herself, really British)...

Aw - so she did have a valid reason then, and it wasn't a no never kind of response. See I think this is good because you have planted the seed of the idea... And she'll have some time to think about it. Sometimes I don't always want to do something suggested at first, but then the more I think about it, I warm to the idea. I think friendship can be like that sometimes.  :)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 04:13:08 PM by Mrs Robinson »

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2013, 08:34:01 PM »
This article hit the spot. 

I had oodles of friends at home and I never had to try, ever.  My best friend in the US was always moaning about how hard it was to make friends (he was self employed and didn't have the luxury of a huge corporate pool of people his own age that I did) and recently I told him I now understand what he was talking about. 

I've been trying to get out there, but I almost feel like it's WORSE than dating.  With dating you kinda know what the score is, but with trying to make friends, you have to figure out if that person has room in their life for more friends, if that makes any sense.  When I first got here, I became friendly with someone in Cambridge, who when I attempted to turn the acquaintance into a bit of a friendship she said she liked me but just didn't have time for anymore more friends.  At least she was honest.  But it sure made me concerned about it, and that was four years ago. 

C
When I used to be on a motorcycle forum you listed your bikes here.  On the travel forum the countries you'd been to.  Photography, your cameras / lenses.  Somehow here it's bureaucratic BS survived!  Tier 1, fiance/spouse visa, ILR, AHHH!!!!!!  I feel like putting the fees...

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab