Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Questions on FLR(M)  (Read 2185 times)

• Liked: 0
Questions on FLR(M)
« on: August 13, 2013, 02:12:54 PM »
Hi All,

I am British and looking to have my girlfriend, who lives in California come join me in the UK. I have a couple of questions around the Fiancée visa / FLR(M) route.

It sounds like, from reading threads on this forum that my girlfriend could follow the following process to be able to live here with me and work;

1. She applies for a fiancée visa
2. Enters the UK with said visa
3. We get married asap
4. Days after, go to Croydon and apply for FLR(M)
5. Once FLR(M) is approved, start work

So my first question is, does this sound accurate? and my second is would she have to leave and re-enter the country after having FLR(M) approved in person?

Thanks in advance

Dan

• Liked: 4
Re: Questions on FLR(M)
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 02:40:16 PM »
You have the general idea, but you can't just 'go to Croydon' and apply for FLR after you're married. You will need to complete the online application and book an appointment, which are not that easy to get immediately. 

• Liked: 223
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 02:57:31 PM »
That's the process, but don't expect it all to happen quickly unless you've really  planned it out.

It took us a while to get my name on a bill for proof of address to give notice.

Once we had that, all the appointments to give notice were booked a month out so we had to wait....

After we had our appointment to give notice booked, we scheduled our ceremony (register office) and those were booked a further month out (a month after we gave notice).  Luckily we had a small wedding so we didn't need to coordinate the date with anyone besides our two witnesses.

After we knew the date of our ceremony, we booked our in-person appointment 6 weeks ahead of time.

In the end, I arrived 27 July 2012, we gave notice 10 October, got married 10 November and my FLR was approved 10 December.  The whole process took a lot longer than I thought.  Still well within 6 months, but longer than I thought....

Of course, if you're getting married in a church or already have it planned out a bit, it won't take that long, but don't underestimate how much planning it takes when you're on a timeline (6 months for the Fiance Visa), you've got a partner who's relocating and needs proof of address in the UK to give notice and you've got to book the in-person appointment ahead of time.  It'd definitely do-able, but just be sure you're realistic about how quickly it will be done.

To answer your second question- no, she won't need to leave and reenter with her FLR once it's approved.
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

• Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 03:16:42 PM »
@TravelingFrog - Can I ask what you mean by "give notice", you mentioned it several times, is this booking the appointment to see someone at the public enquiry office in Croydon?

• Liked: 223
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 03:36:38 PM »
Giving notice is for getting married, not for the FLR.

The info is here, but be sure you go to a designated office (there's a link to the list in the page below) since your fiance isn't a UK Citizen.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/while-in-uk/marriageandcivilpartnership/registrar/

If you're in Scotland or NI, it looks like you can do it by post, but for Wales and England it must be done in person and together.

The appointment for FLR is totally separate.
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

Sponsored Links