Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Do I need to be present to register for marriage in Scotland?  (Read 2316 times)

• Liked: 0
Do I need to be present to register for marriage in Scotland?
« on: November 07, 2013, 10:38:33 PM »
Just getting started with the wedding planning--our plan is to get married in Scotland next year with me on a visitor for marriage visa, and then head back to Asia (my partner is Scottish, I am American) where we will be living.

We were planning on just coming over to Scotland for a few weeks, but I am trying to figure out if we actually need to be present to register for our marriage. Reading the official pages about it have just made me more confused--they seem to say that we do not need to be present but that *some* people do need to be present. So can I have my future mother-in-law submit our paperwork for us? Or can we submit it now, while we are in the UK for a wedding that is 10 months away?

Also, as an American do I need proof of no prior marriages? How hard is it to get this?

Apologies that I haven't done any research yet, UK-Yankee was my first port of call.

Re: Do I need to be present to register for marriage in Scotland?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 12:17:18 PM »
Should I just contact the registry office about this? I was hoping to find someone else who has registered from abroad before who might be able to offer some insight into the process.

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 12:52:58 PM »
This link: http://www.gro-scotland.gov.uk/files2/registration/Form-M10.pdf which clearly spells out the process for marriage in Scotland.

And says: "Although you need not both attend personally at the registrar's office to hand in your marriage notice, at least one of you may be asked to attend there personally before the date of the marriage. "

Happy planning:)

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 01:46:55 PM »
Thanks. I guess what is clearly spelled out for you is incredibly confusing to me. Since my fiance and I are going to be living 6,000 miles from Scotland, the difference between "you don't need to be there" or "one of you might be asked to attend" is many thousands of dollars, so it would be helpful to know if other people have been asked to visit the registry office before the wedding, and if so, how far in advance.

• Liked: 3
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 02:43:23 PM »
I would call for clarification.

• Liked: 2
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 03:50:12 PM »
Thanks. I guess what is clearly spelled out for you is incredibly confusing to me. Since my fiance and I are going to be living 6,000 miles from Scotland, the difference between "you don't need to be there" or "one of you might be asked to attend" is many thousands of dollars, so it would be helpful to know if other people have been asked to visit the registry office before the wedding, and if so, how far in advance.

We got married in Scotland in 2011, called the registrar's office to get the ball rolling about 5 months prior and did everything by the phone and by mail, never stepped foot in the office!
I am trying to remember what they required, I think?? we both had to send birth certificates and I had to send copies of my prior marriage certificate and divorce decree....along with the Marriage Visitor Visa number once I got it and of course pay all the fee's, choose the type of service, etc....
 Just give the registrar's office in whatever area you are going to get married a call, they will tell you all they need, I also got info from our registrar's office website too. Good luck and congratulations!  :D

Sponsored Links