Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Experience flying older cat to UK?  (Read 2273 times)

• Liked: 0
Experience flying older cat to UK?
« on: January 30, 2014, 01:36:41 AM »
I'm flying my cat over when I move back this time.  I didn't take her when I lived there briefly before but want her with me now.  She is 12 yrs old and in good health - no medications or anything.  She has food allergies but that's it.

I'm a little worried about her flying.  She is kind of a moody cat who doesn't enjoy leaving the house really.  I had read about flying thru Paris and having her onboard with me but I would worry she would meow the whole flight.

I don't really know what to do with her - should I feed her in the am before the flight?  Should I even put a water bottle/Lixit on the crate? Should I put a blanket in with her?

Just wondering if anyone could share their experience with their older cat's travel.

I'd like to fly direct with her so no layovers but I may have trouble getting a ride to that airport 4 hours away. So may have to go to nearest airport (still 2 hrs away) and have 1 connection.

• Liked: 63
Re: Experience flying older cat to UK?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 07:52:05 AM »
Our elder cat flew with my husband in 2011 (ATL-MAN). She was then somewhere between 12-15 years old, but in excellent health - we didn't know her age as she 'adopted' us. She was also very shy and afraid of people she didn't know.

She had a blanket, water bottle, plus a packet of dry food taped to the outside. Bottom line - she was fine. When DH picked her up, she was alert and had no problems. This was a mid-summer flight, so very hot when they boarded in Atlanta.

I would probably not feed her the morning before, unless the light is very late in the evening. She is required to have access to water, so you do need a water bottle. I also had a "pee pad" in the crate, which some airlines require in case of accidents - the instructions may just say "absorbent material" - we chose the puppy training pads as much for our cat's benefit as anything. She didn't soil, but we were prepared. Check with the airline for their requirements, and don't worry!
Married December 1992 (my 'old flame' whom I first met in the mid-70s)
1st move to UK - 1993 (Letter of Consent granted at British Embassy in Washington DC)
ILR - 1994 (1 year later - no fee way back then!)
Back to US in 2000
Returned to UK July 2011 (Spousal Visa/KOL endorsement)
ILR - September 2011
Application for naturalization submitted July 2014
Approval received 15-10-14; ceremony scheduled for 10 November!
Passport arrived 25 November 2014. Finally done!

• Liked: 56
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 08:35:43 AM »
I think regardless of age, if a cat has a less than normally calm disposition (which, lets face it, is 95% of cat kingdom) we owners are going to worry! :)

I was very worried about my little guy when moving because he was such a baby about riding in his crate whenever we went to my parents (about as long a drive as a plane ride), is skittish around a lot of noise and people, and just starts crying nonstop.  Hes only 2.5, but the thought of giving him up to the mercies of airline staff definitely made me worry.  However, like having to go through surgery, there was only one way to do this and so on the plane he went.

Honestly - definitely get one of those wee wee pads (in my experience I recommend dryfur because they don't shift and absorb odors and wet - important for a boy cat who showed his crate displeasure in that way!), attach a water bowl to the front, put in a small blankie so they don't get too hot, tape a serving of food to the top of the crate in case of problems, maybe add something small that smells like you, and take a deep breath.

Mine came through just fine - he was shaking, crying, and hiding in the corner of his crate when we checked in, but was up and looking around and curious when we collected him on the other side.  The dark and engine humming in the hold ought to put the cat asleep.  I would also suggest speaking with the airline personnel to ensure the cat is loaded on, the hold is heated and pressurized, and everyone knows your baby is on and taken care of.

I did draw the line at a connection because that's where plenty of mishaps happen, and I didn't want to stress them more than necessary.  What about booking an airport shuttle maybe?  Is there a pet transport company in your area?

• Liked: 3
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 09:02:59 AM »
I flew over in October with my 15 year old cat and he was scared, and a bit mad at me, but he made it just fine.  He has food allergies and that was a concern, but if you notify them and bring your own food I'm sure he'll be fine. 

What is your layover airport?  Are you aware they are required to clear customs and be examined by the care center vet to make sure they are healthy?  I was told that my pets layover needed to be at least 6 hours to give them time to do this, which meant we couldn't make the second leg together since my flight was already booked. 

What airline are you flying?  I encountered an issue with having a layover with British Airways.  They bumped him from the flight because someone brought extra luggage.  This was their actual excuse.  He was forced to stay in the care center in Heathrow for an extra 18 hours.  Had I known this was a possibility I would have used a transport company.  They claim they are well within their rights to change my pets flight as he was still delivered within the 24hours of anticipated arrival.  I'm sure he received good care while in Heathrow as he was given his own food and didn't arrive anxious or anything, but it is something I wish I had known was a possibility. 

He was exhausted when he arrived, but other than that he was fine.  I don't think his age was a factor at all.  He recovered within 24 hours and you'd never know he is an expatcat.
13 Aug 13 Fiancé visa application submitted online
  2 Oct 13 Visa received via UPS
29 Oct 13 Arrived in the UK!
20 Jan 14 Ring-a-Ding Ding!
18 Feb 14 FLR(M) submitted via post
26 Feb 14 Biometrics submitted at Post Office
  7 Apr 14 Biometrics Residence Permit approval notification letter & card arrive (separately) via signed post
16 Sept 16 2nd FLR(M) Approved in-person in Sheffield
21 Aug 18  Passed LIUK
5 Mar 19 Applied IRL; 18 Mar 19 priority appt in NCL; 19 Mar 19 ILR granted; 21 Mar 19 DX delivery of BRP

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 09:09:34 AM »
I also successfully moved my two cats who were over 10 to the UK.  Direct flights are definitely the way to go if the route is offered.  Lots of good tips in here from everyone.

I was concerned about mine going in the hold, but my vet said that it can be much less stressful for the animals as the area they are put in is dark and warm and promotes sleep.  Whereas the cabin can be loud and noisy and just too much action for them to really settle.  I don't know if he was just feeding me lines but it made me feel better.

• Liked: 3
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 05:28:59 PM »
Another one here who successfully moved her 10+ year old cats over! We flew direct, which was great. They were very excited to see me when we got to London. I slept in a t-shirt for a few nights before we moved, cut it in half, and put half in each crate. Food was taped to the crate, but I didn't have a water bottle for them. There was a little water/food cup on the crate and the airline gave them some water in that before we left.

Someone who works for an airline made the same comment on here once about the conditions in the hold as KFdancer's vet. They put them as far from the engines as possible, and it's dark. It would be nice to have them in the cabin, but I can't imagine how stressed I would be the whole time. They would be meowing loudly for hours, if one of them peed or pooed, the other passengers would not appreciate it. Not to mention if someone is allergic (that actually happened to a friend of mine who is allergic). I'm less stressed travelling on a plane with my toddler than I would be with my cats!

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 09:20:24 PM »
Thanks for all the great advice and sharing your experiences.

I am glad to hear other's mostly positive experiences. 

I may go ahead and get the crate for her to start sniffing.  She really puts up a fight to go on the crate usually as it's a trip to the vet - she usually hides if she see it or hears me get it out of the closet.

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2015, 04:43:40 AM »
I flew over in October with my 15 year old cat and he was scared, and a bit mad at me, but he made it just fine.  He has food allergies and that was a concern, but if you notify them and bring your own food I'm sure he'll be fine. 

I am considering taking my cat Figaro with me to England. She is 16-years old.
I have my concerns, but my vet says she is a very healthy senior "Kitizen".
I'm not 100% convinced though. My worst fear is her not making the journey or getting really ill along the way and never recovering.

But also I'm her best friend and leaving her with my parents when I move breaks my heart. I know she won't last long without me to care for her. (from past experience) Not to mention I'll be heartbroken myself, after raising each other our whole lives.

I noticed above that lizzylou mentioned something about flying into Paris and not needing to check a cat? Although Figaro would meow alot, I'm wondering if this might be the best option. Sure I'd feel bad for the other passengers, but I'd be spending roughly the same amount to have her ticket via cargo hold or as a passenger. (feeling like a mom with a small baby)

Any thoughts on the matter of Paris and keeping a cat on board? Thanks!  :\\\'(
(p.s. Also could I could taker her out of the carrier if she has a leash on to hold her in my lap during the flight?)

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2015, 12:28:05 PM »
Another member did the Paris thing with her Persian as she wasn't allowed in the hold successfully.

My cats are seasoned travelers and in my experience, you have to leave kitty under the seat.  But I certainly snuck in some pets.  The plane is so loud, people won't hear the meowing.

Your vet may recommend Xanax for kitty.

Personally, I'm very glad I brought mine with me.

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2015, 06:47:27 PM »
My experience isn't exactly what the OP asked about - I flew with my then 3-year-old cat from Boston to Bangkok 2 years ago, bringing her in the cabin in a soft-sided carrier (and following all the rules - lots of paperwork and some extra fees and early booking involved). She cried a little early in the flight, but as someone mentioned above, the airplane is so loud, no one seemed to notice. Mostly, she was stressed but quiet. We may be moving to the UK next year, and I was dismayed when I learned about the restriction requiring pets flying to the UK to be in cargo. I was tempted by some of the comments above saying how cargo is more comfortable for everyone, so I looked again for advice from animal welfare organizations. Both the ASPCA and the Humane Society strongly recommend against putting pets in cargo because of the yearly record of pet loss, injury, and death in cargo on commercial flights. (I don't know the numbers - they may be small, but if my pet were one, that would be too many for me.) They recommend against flying with a pet at all if you can help it, but they say the cabin is safer. More general pet travel advice on the Humane Society site: http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/traveling_tips_pets_ships_planes_trains.html [nofollow]

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2015, 10:12:37 PM »
... I looked again for advice from animal welfare organizations. Both the ASPCA and the Humane Society strongly recommend against putting pets in cargo because of the yearly record of pet loss, injury, and death in cargo on commercial flights. (I don't know the numbers - they may be small, but if my pet were one, that would be too many for me.) They recommend against flying with a pet at all if you can help it, but they say the cabin is safer. More general pet travel advice on the Humane Society site: http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/traveling_tips_pets_ships_planes_trains.html

The thought of my cat passing while in Cargo is more emotional and stressful than the thought that my Spousal Visa application might not be approved!!!

I've searched and searched for an alternative option. This lead me to Open Skies (BA owned) from NYC to Paris (ORL). If you can spare an extra few days and have some form of car transportation from France into England, then go for it.

At this point all roads for me lead to a negative affirmation. :(
I am NOT comfortable with my baby (16-year old cat) making the journey in cargo. And I have yet to discover a way to get over into England from France, as I have no one willing to spend 2-3 days of their lives driving to get me and back.

I'm going to look into renting a car in France and seeing if I can leave it in England!?

p.s. There are no trains or busses or any other way to get animals (that I know of) from France into England. Only via car in the Eurotunnel or a certain ferry... again only via a car.
Next option is Plane... but then again it comes to hours in a crate in Cargo and such.

I hope this info can help someone out in their decision. Luckily I have my mom and dad who can care for her in Sunny California, but I'm still searching for an alternative option.  :\\\'(

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2015, 04:17:14 AM »
Amsterdam and ferry to UK is another option - apparently a favorite with people traveling with pets from Thailand, where I'm currently living, though maybe the routes and schedules are different coming from the US. I don't know all the details yet, will post when I've done more homework.

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2015, 08:37:38 AM »
Please let me know!

Also... does that mean there's a flight to Amsterdam from the US that allows pets in the cabin? If not, then it sort of defeats the whole purpose for me.

But do please let us all know if you discover some more info!   ;D

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2015, 07:31:10 PM »
@KristinNeil, I do not know about flight options from the US and didn't mean to imply that there is definitely a flight via Amsterdam that works for you. I'd be traveling from Thailand, so my homework may be of limited help to you in researching your flight options (though ferry info could be applicable). You indicated that France was looking like a big pain, and I didn't know if you'd researched a route via Amsterdam.

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2015, 08:46:25 PM »
Thank you @tylerkb,

I actually didn't know it was an option and I'm so happy you brought it to my attention!

I'm looking at one ferry so far:
http://www.stenaline.co.uk/ferry-to-holland/plan-your-trip/travelling-with-a-pet

As long as I use their kennel services it's definitely a possibility. I'm going to contact a few airlines that fly direct into Amsterdam and see if they'll allow Figaro in the cabin for the international flight. :)

I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab