Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Paracetamol Equivalent?  (Read 1596 times)

• Liked: 9
Paracetamol Equivalent?
« on: February 28, 2014, 12:36:17 AM »
Hubby prefers paracetamol over any other form of pain relief. He only has about 5 or 6 left. We plan to buy some and bring it back when we visit, but in the meantime, is there an American equivalent? I always figured it was about the same as acetaminophen, but that was just guessing.
“It's practically impossible to look at a penguin and feel angry.” Joe Moore

“We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.”
― Dr. Seuss

• Liked: 6
Re: Paracetamol Equivalent?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 12:56:26 AM »
Tylenol. Acetaminophen and Paracetamol are the same thing. 

Paracetamol (/ˌpærəˈsiːtəmɒl/ or /ˌpærəˈsɛtəmɒl/), acetaminophen i/əˌsiːtəˈmɪnəfɨn/, or APAP, chemically named N-acetyl-p-aminophenol, is a widely used over-the-counter analgesic (pain reliever) and antipyretic (fever reducer).[4][5] Paracetamol is the International Nonproprietary Name (INN) and British Approved Name (BAN), while acetaminophen is the United States Adopted Name (USAN) and Japanese Adopted Name (JAN).[6][7]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paracetamol

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 07:12:31 AM »
No need for an equivalent - paracetamol is everywhere in the US... just under a different drug name. It is acetaminophen.

As Anonymiss said, Tylenol = acetaminophen = paracetamol.

I always stock up on paracetamol in the US when I go to visit because it's cheaper there and you can buy many more tablets!

• Liked: 82
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 07:03:22 PM »
Tylenol is the same.  Ksands, i find OTC drugs cheaper in the UK.  16 pills of paracetamol for 19p in Home bargains and 21p in tesco.  Much better than the $4 or $5 in the states. 

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 07:15:23 PM »
Tylenol is the same.  Ksands, i find OTC drugs cheaper in the UK.  16 pills of paracetamol for 19p in Home bargains and 21p in tesco.  Much better than the $4 or $5 in the states. 

You pay $4-5 for 16 in the US?

• Now I'm home. :)
    • The Wordsmith Desk
  • Liked: 20
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 09:40:08 PM »

You can get 500 pills (500mg/extra-strength, in this case) of acetaminophen for less than $7 at Walmart.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Equate-Extra-Strength-Acetaminophen-Pain-Reliever-Fever-Reducer-500mg-250-count-Pack-of-2/20691516

British Citizenship approval: May 2016
Ceremony: July 2016
Well, she was an American girl, raised on promises.
She couldn't help thinking that there was a little more to life, somewhere else.
After all it was a great big world, with lots of places to run to.
And if she had to die trying she had one little promise she was gonna keep.

Comprehensive CV/Résumé Preparation
Writing, Proofreading & Editing Services
www.thewordsmithdesk.co.uk

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 12:03:06 AM »
Thanks, everyone! That was my guess, but I wasn't sure. I suppose I could have done a quick Google, but figured I'd ask here. I get the generic instead of Tylenol, because I hate paying insane prices.

“We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.”
― Dr. Seuss

• Liked: 19
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2014, 10:55:45 AM »
You can get 500 pills (500mg/extra-strength, in this case) of acetaminophen for less than $7 at Walmart.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Equate-Extra-Strength-Acetaminophen-Pain-Reliever-Fever-Reducer-500mg-250-count-Pack-of-2/20691516

It's a bit of a trade-off, really.  The 19p packets are certainly more affordable in the sense that it's easier for people on low (or no) income to buy it when they need it.  A $7 bulk purchase may be more economical, but the initial outlay is harder for some people to justify.

On the other hand, if you figure in time/transport costs of having to go to the shop every time you get a headache, that 19p packet can quickly become much more costly.

• Liked: 63
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2014, 03:47:01 PM »
I'm visiting the parents at the end of March, and acetaminophen from Walmart is one of many things on my "buy" list. DH and I both have aches and pains, and those little packets form Tesco or Aldi just disappear too quickly.  ;)

Married December 1992 (my 'old flame' whom I first met in the mid-70s)
1st move to UK - 1993 (Letter of Consent granted at British Embassy in Washington DC)
ILR - 1994 (1 year later - no fee way back then!)
Back to US in 2000
Returned to UK July 2011 (Spousal Visa/KOL endorsement)
ILR - September 2011
Application for naturalization submitted July 2014
Approval received 15-10-14; ceremony scheduled for 10 November!
Passport arrived 25 November 2014. Finally done!

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2014, 10:23:53 PM »
When we lived in the UK, the big bottles of 500 of the generic acetaminophen and/or ibuprofen were something I made sure I had on my list.

― Dr. Seuss

• Liked: 82
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2014, 08:28:25 PM »
You pay $4-5 for 16 in the US?

Easily.  NYC wasn't the cheapest place to live. 

No walmart in NYC and I am always scared to buy pills online.

It's a bit of a trade-off, really.  The 19p packets are certainly more affordable in the sense that it's easier for people on low (or no) income to buy it when they need it.  A $7 bulk purchase may be more economical, but the initial outlay is harder for some people to justify.

On the other hand, if you figure in time/transport costs of having to go to the shop every time you get a headache, that 19p packet can quickly become much more costly.

When hubby was sick, I went to tesco and home bargains, got 2 packs (the limit) from one, 2 packs from the other and then went back and did it again with a different cashier.  Tend to do it anytime we use any so I am always stocked.  I have yet to find a store in the uk with packet higher than 16 pills.

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2014, 08:49:19 PM »
Easily.  NYC wasn't the cheapest place to live. 

I lived in NYC, $4-5 for 16 is a bit of an exaggeration.

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2014, 12:41:22 AM »
I have yet to find a store in the uk with packet higher than 16 pills.

That's because it is illegal for them to sell more than 16 pills in a packet.

The largest packet you can buy is 32 tablets and you can only buy them from behind a pharmacy counter. If you want any more than 32, you need a prescription from your doctor.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab