Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Changing Name in Passport after marriage  (Read 810 times)

• Liked: 0
Changing Name in Passport after marriage
« on: May 16, 2014, 04:44:05 PM »
Hi All! I'm hoping you can help.
I'm a US citizen and moved back to the States with my husband who is a UK citizen. We have transitioned well and most everything has been simple!
However, I'm having a bit of an issue with changing my name on my US License. I was informed today that I would not be able to receive a new drivers license reflecting my name change due to my marriage license being from the UK. They have advised me I first need to change my passport.
Now, my question....Has anyone had to change their US Passport using a foreign marriage certificate? I'm just a bit hesitant to send off my application for passport renewal, with my UK Marriage certificate, just to have it sent back to me without a new passport (and them taking my money!).
Just was wondering if any of you have gone through this with your US spouses and have some advice??
Thank you all in advance for your help and guidance!

• Liked: 2
Re: Changing Name in Passport after marriage
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 12:09:53 AM »
Hi All! I'm hoping you can help.
I'm a US citizen and moved back to the States with my husband who is a UK citizen. We have transitioned well and most everything has been simple!
However, I'm having a bit of an issue with changing my name on my US License. I was informed today that I would not be able to receive a new drivers license reflecting my name change due to my marriage license being from the UK. They have advised me I first need to change my passport.
Now, my question....Has anyone had to change their US Passport using a foreign marriage certificate? I'm just a bit hesitant to send off my application for passport renewal, with my UK Marriage certificate, just to have it sent back to me without a new passport (and them taking my money!).
Just was wondering if any of you have gone through this with your US spouses and have some advice??
Thank you all in advance for your help and guidance!

I have a UK marriage certificate and have a NY state driver's license.
I think I needed 6 "points" worth of documents to change the name on my license.  First thing I did was change it with Social Security, then started changing it on utility bills and with work (paycheck/work ID) and insurance cards. 
That was enough to be able to change my name on the driver's license with no passport involved  :)
What state are you in that they require you to change the name on your passport first? Did you check on your state's DMV website or did someone tell you this at the office?

I didn't apply to change the name on my passport until almost a year later when it was due for renewal and I did that on form DS82 (filled it out online) and had no problems and got my UK marriage certificate back along with my new passport. 
http://travel.state.gov/passport/forms/ds5504/ds5504_2663.html

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab