Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Giving notice questions  (Read 3249 times)

• Liked: 0
Giving notice questions
« on: June 23, 2014, 02:03:39 PM »
Hi there

I'm currently in the UK on a fiance' visa and we're getting ready to give notice at the registry office. We tried this before when I was visiting and the lady we dealt with wasn't pleasant. Because we didn't know what room was available for our ceremony she wouldn't proceed with the meeting so we were sent away. I have heard they separate you and question you before they allow you to give notice. My fiance' is pretty nervous. I was wondering what was everyone's experience? what kind of questions do they ask?

Cheers!
Stephanie

• Liked: 1
Re: Giving notice questions
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 02:34:49 PM »
We had ours done at the main registry office in Manchester and they couldn't have been any nicer. They did separate us and ask questions about the other, but nothing you shouldn't know if you've known each other for a significant length of time.
"It takes a leap of faith to get things going. In your heart, baby, you must trust..."

• Liked: 223
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 03:12:00 PM »
I was really nervous before, too. It ended up being pretty easy - they just took us in the office one by one (the other was in the hallway) and asked us a few questions about the other.

I think DH was more nervous that me because I went first and the lady spent 5-10 minutes just trying to get her printer working. :-P The questions were only a few minutes for each of us. As long as you know each other's full name, birthday, address, professions, and parent's names, you'll be fine. I can't even remember if they asked anything about our parents, tbh.

Good luck!
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

• Liked: 7
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 04:12:36 PM »
I've been wondering about this as well, my fiancé and I have our appointment to give notice this Friday! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
May 17, 2014: Arrived in England on Fiancé Visa, July 24, 2014: Married my husband, September 19, 2014: had our wedding with friends and family, October 4, 2014: Granted first Further Leave to Remain (m)!!!

Giving notice questions
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 04:59:39 AM »
We did ours back in 2011 and in Wales ... But when they took us back, they took us together ... Just general questions about how we met and time we spent together ... In fact, the woman who did the "interview" is the same one who married us a few months later ...

Hi FutureMrsHandy .... Nice to see you are still here, hope all is going well for you...

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
03 10 2014- Online App submitted..
03 13 2014- Biometrics submitted..
03 19 2014- Expedition service paid for and Supporting documents sent out..
03 26 2014- Email that processing has started received..
04 4 2014- UPS tracking shows Pick up Scan for rtrn pkg..
04 8 2014- shipment is warehoused until released by clearing agency..
04 15 2014- New label rcvd by Int UPS, New tracking number in hand..
04 22 2014- ANOTHER new label rcvd by Int UPS, & ANOTHER new tracking # in hand..
04 28 2014- My passport is in my hands W/Spouse Visa inside

• A Yank in Blighty
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 06:12:03 AM »
mine was super easy in Brent...to give notice we were taken back together and had a nice chat with a lovely helpful woman. she was going over the if this is fraud it's illegal part and my (silly) husband make a joke about that and she was like nah I'm not too worried...if she was committing fraud she'd marry an eu citizen because its much easier to stay (probably true to be fair). She asked us our birthdates, addresses and how long we've lived there, fathers names and professions...all simple stuff...we brought our passports which she needs to verify information (and checked my visa status I'm assuming) then the rest of the time was spent explaining what music we could use how if we write our own vows they cant mention any god and had to be approved in advance...all logistics

then at the actual ceremony they talked to us separately to confirm all the information was correct but that was because they asked if i didnt want to be seen by my husband until i walked down the aisle and i said yes.

I have to say I thought Brent Civic centre was top notch for a small registry wedding and could have even been great if I had a lot more guests!

Obviously each place is different but it shouldn't be something to worry too much about!

• Amor Vincit Omnia
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 03:50:13 PM »
I have nightmares still about my experience at Gloucester registry office. We're thinking of going to the Bristol Registry office and giving notice next week. I know you're not suppose to marry on a visitor visa but with my grandma's declining health and the fact I may not stay the 6months of my visa, I'd like to get married here as my fiance's parents won't be able to travel to the states due to his dad's declining health. I would have rather married in the states but as my fiance' may not be allowed entry to the states even with a B2 visa we have no options at this moment. We're worried as well of what may be asked. From the posts on here sounds like it isn't as bad as I've heard in the past. Hoping for the best!
Met online: 2001
Lost contact: 2005-2010
Found me on Facebook: 12-26-10
Officially dating: 4-9-11
Met in person: 5-5-11 *stayed 3wks in UK*
Met 2nd time: 9-29-11 *stayed 2wks*
Proposed: 10-9
3rd visit: 5-27-12 *3wk stay*
4th visit: 3-28-13 *3wk stay*
5th Visit: 05-13 to 11-3 2014
Fiance' Visa: 2015

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 03:02:35 AM »
My fiance (in the UK) called the registry office in Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire and got us a "provisional booking" with which the lady sent us an email to confirm and provide details for us. Then when I arrive there (providing my fiance visa is approved) then we will go in and do the proper notice.
Online Application: July 24, 2014 Fiance-Priority
Biometrics: July 29, 2014
Packet mailed to fiance: July 29, 2014
Fiance Received Packet: July 31, 2014
* Had to wait for final bank statements for fiance.
Papers Received and Packet Mail to Sheffield: Aug 2, 2014
Sheffield Received: Aug 5, 2014
Additional Information requested: Aug 5, 2014
Decision Made Email: Aug 26, 2014
Visa Received by Mail: N/A

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2014, 03:35:34 PM »
Online I notice that it says you must be a resident of the district where you give notice which for my fiancé and I would be in London but we are getting married out where his parents live in Birmingham.

Anyone know where and how I should give notice to both cities? Planning on doing this when I move in December so anything you guys can provide would be so helpful.
Country applying from: USA
Type of visa applied for: Fiance visa (priority)
Date application submitted (online): September 10
Date biometrics taken & documents sent: September 15
Date documentation was received by UKBA: September 17
Acknowledgement email & confirmation priority processing has started: September 24
Office location processing your visa: Sheffield
Date of decision email: October 6
Date visa was received: October 8
Moved in December 13
Married March 21, 2015
Applying in Person for FLR(M) April 18, 2014
ILR sometime soonish eek!

• Liked: 537
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2014, 08:09:50 PM »
Online I notice that it says you must be a resident of the district where you give notice which for my fiancé and I would be in London but we are getting married out where his parents live in Birmingham.

Anyone know where and how I should give notice to both cities? Planning on doing this when I move in December so anything you guys can provide would be so helpful.

You only have to give notice at one Registrar's office. I married my husband here at our local Council Office in  Derbyshire, but I had to give my notice in Nottingham in Nottinghamshire as it was the closest Registrar on the  designated registrar's list for Foreign Nationals marrying in the UK. If you're doing a church wedding, I'm not sure how that goes. I've given you the link for the designated registrar's below.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/designated-register-offices-in-england-and-wales
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2014, 04:29:50 AM »
Guess we will pop by the local office in Lewisham and ask them if we need to do anything specific for Birmingham. Will be in the Lewisham area about a week before going to Birmingham so hopefully that will be easy enough to sort.
Country applying from: USA
Type of visa applied for: Fiance visa (priority)
Date application submitted (online): September 10
Date biometrics taken & documents sent: September 15
Date documentation was received by UKBA: September 17
Acknowledgement email & confirmation priority processing has started: September 24
Office location processing your visa: Sheffield
Date of decision email: October 6
Date visa was received: October 8
Moved in December 13
Married March 21, 2015
Applying in Person for FLR(M) April 18, 2014
ILR sometime soonish eek!

Sponsored Links