Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Wahl hair clippers  (Read 1757 times)

• Liked: 0
Wahl hair clippers
« on: September 30, 2014, 04:35:59 PM »
Hi i purchased Wahl hair clippers whilst in the States along with a top quality voltage reducer. When using in the UK they work very good but are extremely noisy compared to what they were in the States, i even have to use ear plugs! Is there anything i could do to reduce this noise please?

• Liked: 19
Re: Wahl hair clippers
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 08:28:31 PM »
Is it possible it just needs oiling, or that maybe something's not tightened down enough?

I never used clippers in the U.S., but I use a pair here when I'm cutting my husband's hair.  And yeah, they're super loud.  But they're also pretty old, and frankly, the blades are getting kind of worn out.

But yeah, even with a 'top quality' voltage reducer, it's possible that it's slightly over-amped, which would make the motor run faster, and noisier.  Unless you actually get it tested, you won't know for sure.  And even if you find out, there's not much you can do about it, other than trying a different voltage adapter.  And then there's still no guarantee.

Honestly, unless you dropped hundreds of dollars on them, then if it really bothers you, you might be further ahead replacing them.  I've seen good, salon-grade clippers for sale under £70, include Wahl.  Even the top-of-the-line, professional ones are only around £150. 

• Liked: 63
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 08:08:26 AM »
I used US clippers here for a while, and they were much noisier, but they were old and the blades weren't really doing the job.

We just bought an inexpensive set here; for DH's remaining hair, a Remington set with ceramic blades at about £24 was more than sufficient. Someone with a lot of hair might want to spend more  ::)
Married December 1992 (my 'old flame' whom I first met in the mid-70s)
1st move to UK - 1993 (Letter of Consent granted at British Embassy in Washington DC)
ILR - 1994 (1 year later - no fee way back then!)
Back to US in 2000
Returned to UK July 2011 (Spousal Visa/KOL endorsement)
ILR - September 2011
Application for naturalization submitted July 2014
Approval received 15-10-14; ceremony scheduled for 10 November!
Passport arrived 25 November 2014. Finally done!

• Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 11:14:55 AM »
Thanks for the replies. The clippers were bought in 2013 so still relatively new. I took them back out this year with me and they were perfect. So the conclusion is they're only noisy here. Maybe it is the voltage converter, enercell 85-Watt Foreign Travel Voltage Converter, again bought in 2013.
Think i might take your advice and buy the same pair over here, that covers me both sides of the pond, ha!  :)

• Liked: 4
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2015, 11:01:17 AM »
Our UK version of dog clippers are way noisier than our US ones.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab