Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Anyone find any good dill pickles?  (Read 19003 times)

• Officially a UK Yank!! Established 2002
  • Liked: 38
Re: Anyone find any good dill pickles?
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2015, 05:49:33 PM »
I really missed American dill pickles and have now gotten used to sainsburys brand in vinegar. Try those and let me know if u like them ? I think a jar is only a pound x
My home for 18 years since June 2002. Became a citizen 2006

• Liked: 537
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2015, 08:27:09 PM »
I really missed American dill pickles and have now gotten used to sainsburys brand in vinegar. Try those and let me know if u like them ? I think a jar is only a pound x
Hiya, I've definitely had those! They were my go to when I was craving pickles. They just taste strongly of mustard. My husband always tells me I smell like a cheeseburger when I eat them. haha
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 585
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2015, 08:38:06 PM »
The 'haimisha cucumber' pickles seem to have disappeared in this area, but we still have the Mrs Elwood Hot Dill Cucumbers, which are excellent as well. Basically the same thing, but with chilli.

I was wrong!  I saw the haimisha cucumbers in Waitrose today!  :)

Last summer I made my own pickles... with double the dill and double the garlic.  They were great!

• I'm not acting confused, I AM Confused!
  • Liked: 28
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2018, 05:38:44 PM »
ok, got sick of trying to find kosher dills, decided to kinda make my own, its easy
go to ASDA, get the Mrs Ellswood dill pickles they sell, add a spoonfull for lazy garlic and some crushed red chili flakes,put the lid back on and give a shake ,let sit for 4 days. You will have kosher dills!!

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2018, 07:07:00 PM »
ok, got sick of trying to find kosher dills, decided to kinda make my own, its easy
go to ASDA, get the Mrs Ellswood dill pickles they sell, add a spoonfull for lazy garlic and some crushed red chili flakes,put the lid back on and give a shake ,let sit for 4 days. You will have kosher dills!!

I think even I could manage that! Thanks for the idea!  :)

• Liked: 676
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2018, 07:37:11 PM »
Definitely worth a try!

Lupe Pintos in Glasgow occasionally has Vlassic Kosher Dill Spears. Last time we were in the guy said they'd gotten 12 in, sent 6 to the Edinburgh store, and an employee who was American bought the other six the same day.

Waaaaahhhhhh!

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2018, 08:08:34 PM »
But that doesn't do anything about the sugar... Which is the part I can't stand. Haha.

Are these the Haimisha dills? Cause I'm okay with those as they taste like boring normal dill pickles to me.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2018, 11:01:15 PM »
sorry, i could give a crap about sugar or whats in them, i just want the taste!!  ;D As with all things in life, its the little things that make a difference, there are many food things i miss being here, in the end, its easier to make yourself, pickles are not hard, many recipes online, it did take a little sleuthing to find out whats the difference between dill and kosher dill, but its all there online. PS,,, Top Secret Recipes has all the goof stuff from restaurants, I made a pasta e fagioli just like olive gardens from there, not hard at all!

• Liked: 63
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2018, 09:06:32 AM »
Best dill pickles I have found here were from a little Polish grocery. Big jar, relatively small price.

I grew  up in the southern US with a grandmother and mother who made pickles, so I like typical southern sweet pickles as well as dill. I've made 'quick pickles' but never did the whole process that I watched as a child. Since I am from NC, which is the home of Mt. Olive pickles, off the shelf was good enough for me.
Married December 1992 (my 'old flame' whom I first met in the mid-70s)
1st move to UK - 1993 (Letter of Consent granted at British Embassy in Washington DC)
ILR - 1994 (1 year later - no fee way back then!)
Back to US in 2000
Returned to UK July 2011 (Spousal Visa/KOL endorsement)
ILR - September 2011
Application for naturalization submitted July 2014
Approval received 15-10-14; ceremony scheduled for 10 November!
Passport arrived 25 November 2014. Finally done!

« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2018, 01:03:13 PM »
sorry, i could give a crap about sugar or whats in them, i just want the taste!!  ;D As with all things in life, its the little things that make a difference, there are many food things i miss being here, in the end, its easier to make yourself, pickles are not hard, many recipes online, it did take a little sleuthing to find out whats the difference between dill and kosher dill, but its all there online. PS,,, Top Secret Recipes has all the goof stuff from restaurants, I made a pasta e fagioli just like olive gardens from there, not hard at all!

If there is sugar in the pickles (which most of them are) they are sweet and this affects the flavour. Which is not my cup of tea.

Kosher dills don't have sugar, which is why I asked if they were the Haimisha dills or not. Only ones I've found that are sugar free. I've tried the normal Elwood and the hot ones, and they're not ones I'll eat and they are both sweetened.

• Liked: 676
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2018, 01:11:49 PM »
Speaking of home made...

I used the last five of my canning jars over the weekend putting up very-low-sugar berry preserves. (Blackberry/Rasberry, just a tinch of sugar - which you can do if you use Pomona's pectin instead of the usual stuff.) The price of canning jars here in the UK is astronomical! Holy Cow!  At home a case of 12 pint-size Mason or Kerr jars  was like $10 at the hardware store.  The closest  I have found here are like 3 pounds fifty EACH!

Yoiks!

I keep hoping someone like Target or Walmart do one of those spectacular free-overseas-shipping promotions, as I'll be importing quite a lot of canning jars!  Does anyone know where to find them cheaper, here?

[EDIT:  It appears Sainsburys has .5 litre canning jars on at 2 pounds each. I have ordered some to test the quality.]
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 03:11:28 PM by Nan D. »

« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2018, 01:12:07 PM »
If there is sugar in the pickles (which most of them are) they are sweet and this affects the flavour. Which is not my cup of tea.

Kosher dills don't have sugar, which is why I asked if they were the Haimisha dills or not. Only ones I've found that are sugar free. I've tried the normal Elwood and the hot ones, and they're not ones I'll eat and they are both sweetened.

I'm in the sad situation whereby I've forgotten what pickles are supposed to taste like. I now eat the Mrs Elswood ones which I turned my nose up at initially.  ;D  I just got used to them!

« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2018, 01:22:38 PM »
try the kosher dill trick on Mrs ellwoods, it will get you to at least Vlasik quality kosher dill.

« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2018, 03:24:44 PM »
try the kosher dill trick on Mrs ellwoods, it will get you to at least Vlasik quality kosher dill.

I will, thanks!  :)

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2018, 08:47:19 AM »
But that doesn't do anything about the sugar... Which is the part I can't stand. Haha.

Are these the Haimisha dills? Cause I'm okay with those as they taste like boring normal dill pickles to me.

One of the Dawtona varieties does not have sugar in them.  They are really close.  Much better base to start from than any of the sugared ones.  Look for these:

(Dawtona also have a product called "Pickled Gherkins... do NOT get those as they have sugar in them.  You want SOURED.)
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab