Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Transfer of Medical Records / Prescriptions from US to UK.  (Read 5694 times)

• Liked: 8
Transfer of Medical Records / Prescriptions from US to UK.
« on: February 23, 2015, 07:31:50 PM »
Hi all,

Hoping you can provide me with some advice and guidance here.

My wife is american and we are about put in her visa application next month.

I was wondering if anyone could advise on how we can get medical records transferred from the US to the UK and if she has any existing prescriptions, how does moving those over work?

Many thanks for any insight you can offer.

• Liked: 387
Re: Transfer of Medical Records / Prescriptions from US to UK.
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 08:39:55 PM »
I requested a copy of my medical records from my doctor(s) and brought it over to the UK when I moved.  When I registered with my GP, I brought it in for the relevant information to be entered into the surgery's computer system.  Immediately before I moved, I refilled the prescriptions I needed in the US so I would have a bit of a supply while I sorted out everything in the UK.  I made an appointment as soon as possible, discussed my medical history and on-going medications, and my GP gave me a refill script for when I needed my next refill.  If you know the contact information for the GP she will be registering with, she could ask if her US doctor(s) can send the records via snail mail or fax a copy to the doctor's surgery.  In my experience though, it was easier for me to just pick up a copy myself and pack it in my carry-on when I moved over.

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 10:38:10 PM »
We moved from the US to SE Asia, then on to the UK. I didn't take any records from the US to either country but upon each move took enough medicine for 6 months. When I registered and made an appointment I gave my GP a quick history and asked for my prescriptions to be filled. No problem in either country.
I didn't bring records as, when I took records to the US, they were ignored (in fact I still have them in a box in storage somewhere) and the GP just took a quick history. But I guess it depends on the GP.

• Liked: 47
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 10:40:29 PM »
I did the same. I brought over copies of all my relevant records and got 3 months supplies of all my prescriptions before I left. Getting what I need from the GP was very easy. I just brought along all the bottles and packets so she could find the generic names and look up the UK equivalents. She issued all my prescriptions that day and I just use auto refill at my local pharmacy. It was not a problem at all.
April 11, 2012-Began talking online
June 2012-Officially dating
August 2012-Met in person
Aug 2012-Nov 2012-Tier 4 (General)
Aug 2014-present- Tier 4
Oct 2015-Wedding!!! and spouse visa sometime after that and before the Tier 4 expires

• Liked: 12
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 10:25:00 PM »
I got copies of all my medical records from the doctors.  Unfortunately it was a massive amount of paper (a lot of repetition -- I'm not really a hypochondriac!) so I had to select the most relevant bits to bring.  I also got records from my dentist and my new dentist here was glad to have them.  Not so much the GP -- they made copies of what I produced but don't think they actually looked at them.
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

• Liked: 7
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 11:15:10 PM »
I haven't brought my medical records, and it hasn't had any negative impact.  I did bring a surplus of routine medications before leaving, and then got the equivalents here when the time came. 

But I think it really depends on the person's overall health & wellness.  It's obviously nice to have a copy of these records for information, but if someone's in good health with no underlying conditions, I don't think the GPs here will be bothered to review all that extra paperwork.  My GP practice is strict to its 10 minute appointment time limits, so I highly doubt they'd take the time during/afterwards to look through my records.

However, for people with significant medical history or illnesses that are difficult to treat/diagnose/manage, then sharing medical records is probably extremely useful and beneficial to both parties. 

I'd probably get copies of everything, but if your wife is generally healthy, don't be surprised if the GP doesn't take interest in her past medical records.
2007-Short Term Student;   2010-T4;   2011-T1 PSW;   2013-FLR(M);    2015-ILR;    2016 - Citizenship (approved!)

• Liked: 12
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 01:04:20 PM »
It's useful for your own information to have the records.  How likely are we to remember exactly when we had the mole removed or when the last mammogram was?
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

• Liked: 19
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2015, 11:34:27 AM »
I had all my records transferred after I moved.  This was partly because I just didn't have time beforehand, what with trying to tie up all my other loose ends.  But also, I found that most hospitals and clinics would charge a fee (sometimes quite steep) to have records sent to the patient themselves, but would (or possibly had to) do it for free if the records were being sent to another healthcare provider.

So, rather than pay a lot of money for, in my case, reams of paper that I would have to transport, and that I wasn't sure the NHS doctors would accept (would it be an 'official' record if it came from me?), I just dealt with it from here.

In any case, if your wife has had any sort of physical or mental health issues-- especially if it's something lesser-known or 'controversial', like ADHD, Chronic Fatigue, celiac, etc.-- it's definitely worth the hoop-jumping to get all the records.  It could make the difference between being able to simply continue treatment, and having to start from scratch with trying to have a condition recognised, let alone diagnosed and treated.

With regards to her prescriptions, if possible, she should try to get at least an extra month or two's supply.  The doctor can usually ok that (unless it's a controlled drug), though her health insurance probably won't cover the extra doses, so if it's a very expensive drug, take the time to phone different pharmacies for an out-of-pocket quote-- there can be massive price differences! 

More importantly, she should check online to make sure that all of her prescriptions are actually available through the NHS.  Some might go under a different brand name, some might only be available as generics, and some might simply not be available.  If she's on something that isn't available here, she should talk to her current doctor about trying to switch to something that is, before the move, as they'll have a better idea of what drugs might be the closest equivalent, can more easily monitor her for changes in her condition/side effects/ etc., and can more readily switch her meds until they find the one that works best.  That can prevent her having to go through the entire NICE protocol before finally being allowed the drug that's actually closest to what she was on.

• Liked: 8
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 06:45:07 PM »
Hi everyone, thank you very much for your valued insight.  It has helped and what you have said has been noted.

• Liked: 47
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2015, 09:03:59 PM »
Just a small note. I went to the dentist for the first time since moving here 6 months ago since I went in the US just before I left. They really appreciated the fact that I was able to give them my most recent x Rays. Something to think about bringing. I just had my office send me jpg files of them.
April 11, 2012-Began talking online
June 2012-Officially dating
August 2012-Met in person
Aug 2012-Nov 2012-Tier 4 (General)
Aug 2014-present- Tier 4
Oct 2015-Wedding!!! and spouse visa sometime after that and before the Tier 4 expires

• Liked: 1
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2015, 08:28:10 AM »
So, rather than pay a lot of money for, in my case, reams of paper that I would have to transport, and that I wasn't sure the NHS doctors would accept (would it be an 'official' record if it came from me?), I just dealt with it from here.

Was it as simple as requesting your stateside doctor fax your records to your new GP surgery? I would love to go that route.

More importantly, she should check online to make sure that all of her prescriptions are actually available through the NHS.  Some might go under a different brand name, some might only be available as generics, and some might simply not be available.  If she's on something that isn't available here, she should talk to her current doctor about trying to switch to something that is, before the move, as they'll have a better idea of what drugs might be the closest equivalent, can more easily monitor her for changes in her condition/side effects/ etc., and can more readily switch her meds until they find the one that works best.  That can prevent her having to go through the entire NICE protocol before finally being allowed the drug that's actually closest to what she was on.

I have started to look into this as I'm on a combination of medications, one of which is not currently used in the UK for the reason I take it - it's approved use by the NHS is for a different diagnosis, one I don't/won't have, if that makes sense. I will be arriving with plenty of medication to tide me over, but I'm rather concerned about working with a new GP to maintain the current "cocktail" that works for me, or finding super close alternatives. What is this scary sounding NICE protocol?!

Thanks for sharing your advice and input.
Married, waiting on the 5 Year Route to Citizenship!
LTR Granted August 2015
Moved to Britain September 2015
FLR Granted May 2018
Applying for ILR January 2020
...citizenship sometime after!

• Liked: 134
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2015, 05:47:25 PM »
With regards to her prescriptions, if possible, she should try to get at least an extra month or two's supply.  The doctor can usually ok that (unless it's a controlled drug), though her health insurance probably won't cover the extra doses, so if it's a very expensive drug, take the time to phone different pharmacies for an out-of-pocket quote-- there can be massive price differences! 

I have been successful in getting a 2 or 3 month prescription covered by my insurance by calling them and speaking to a representative.  If you just explain that you will be out of the country for an extended period of time but that it is a one-time thing then they may be able to sort something out for you.

I have started to look into this as I'm on a combination of medications, one of which is not currently used in the UK for the reason I take it - it's approved use by the NHS is for a different diagnosis, one I don't/won't have, if that makes sense. I will be arriving with plenty of medication to tide me over, but I'm rather concerned about working with a new GP to maintain the current "cocktail" that works for me, or finding super close alternatives.

Definitely get a generic name for your medicines (if you don't already know them).  It may be worth getting a brief history of your treatment, drugs you have already tried, and reasons for taking the current combination from your current doctor.  That way, your new GP may be able to either prescribe the medicine for you or deduce the best method of treatment with what is available.  In my experience, GPs here are willing to work with you if the treatment works.  For instance, the medicine that my US doctor prescribed to help with nerve pain is prescribed more commonly in the UK to assist with sleep deprivation (but it is not as heavy duty as, say, zolpidem).  My UK GP has no issue prescribing me the medicine after I explained why I was already taking it.  Hopefully you will be able to figure something out.  Best of luck!
Met Mr. Beatlemania: 20 Jan 2010
Tier 4 Visa Approved: 17 Sep 2012
Spousal Visa Received:  22 Sep 2014
Ohio to Essex: 26 October 2014
FLR(M): 10 May 2017
ILR: 23 October 2019
Citizenship: 6 September 2022

• Liked: 19
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2015, 10:00:23 PM »
Was it as simple as requesting your stateside doctor fax your records to your new GP surgery? I would love to go that route.

Eh, pretty much...give or take some bureaucratic B.S., of course.  Because of HIPPA, you'll have to fill in and sign some kind of records release/request form, but different hospitals/clinics (or maybe it's a state law thing?) had different procedures.  In a couple of cases, I was able to download and print the form off their website, sign it, then scan & e-mail back.  But one place wouldn't even email OR mail me the blank form-- they would only fax it to me, and then I had to physically mail it back.

Just be prepared to take a deep breath and roll your eyes a lot when talking with the records admins, who, if possible, are even more pointlessly officious and petty than the average medical receptionist.

But they do have to provide them, and as long as you're having them sent to another healthcare provider, I don't believe they can charge you for them.  (But that, too, could vary from place to place.)

I'm rather concerned about working with a new GP to maintain the current "cocktail" that works for me, or finding super close alternatives. What is this scary sounding NICE protocol?!

NICE = National Institute for Health and Care Excellence.  Basically, it's a body that reviews all the study data, etc., and makes recommendations about the most appropriate 'care pathways' (i.e. diagnostic process & criteria) and treatment protocols for any given condition.  For example, here's their Asthma overview: http://pathways.nice.org.uk/pathways/asthma#content=view-node%3Anodes-diagnosis-and-monitoring

Generally speaking, NICE guidelines will recommend that doctors start with the most 'tried-and-true', clinically reliable treatment first, and will outline what to try 2nd, 3rd, etc., if that doesn't work for an individual patient. 

The guidelines usually have some degree of flexibility/discretion built-in, and in any case, doctors don't have to follow them to the letter.  But if they don't, they'll have to be able to explain why.  'The patient was already on this other treatment, and was responding well' is generally a perfectly acceptable explanation.  But if you run into a particularly cautious/stressed/lazy/uninformed doc, and especially if that exact, prior treatment isn't available, they might insist on following the NICE outline.

Which isn't necessarily the end of the world.  I mean, NICE suggests these things in the first place because they generally work.  It only really gets tricky for people who have 'controversial' or lesser-known diagnoses (e.g. ADHD, thyroid problems).  Then, you might have to be prepared to argue your case/educate your doctors.  And if you get one who just won't listen or work with you,  be prepared to look for a different doctor.

So, basically, just like home. :)  (At least the NICE guidelines are developed by doctors, and not insurance execs!)

• Liked: 1
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2015, 03:39:29 PM »
Hi I'm still waiting for my application to go threw after reading a few here while waiting realized about medical documents. Is it big deal not to have any? I've never had many medical issues. I haven't seen a doctor in over 7 years. I don't even remember who has my medical information its been switched so many times in the past 20years. Every time I got different kind of insurance they give me a new PC. Never needed to see them. So is it a big deal not to have any medical info? Last time I had issues was from car accident almost 9years ago I cant remember who I saw or talked to or if there still around its been so long. once I was ok that was it. haven't seen any PC either for the past 7years. I know that they made sure back then my shots and Immunizations were up to date but for proof? not sure.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 03:41:29 PM by morganv »

• Liked: 111
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2015, 04:04:16 PM »
I gave birth to a son in the U.S. in 1992 and I had a difficult childbirth and was advised by my doctor to have a cesarean section for any subsequent children. I became pregnant with my second child in 1997 and this time I was in England. I brought my records with me by my GP REFUSED to see them and said they were unnecessary and we would "treat this pregnancy like the first". I fought with the guy for six months and eventually got a consultant to look over my medical records and agreed with my previous doctors.
The point is that since you have had very little reason to see a doctor or have prescriptions, it isn't all that necessary to take them. I would register with the GP, get a general medical exam if you feel you should (I would just for your general well-being) and start records from scratch. As for anyone else that has a medical history such as mentioned above, it's imperative to take them and make sure they read them and don't let them fob you off! :)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab