Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Not rinsing dishes?!?!  (Read 8894 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: Not rinsing dishes?!?!
« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2015, 09:02:42 PM »
I was lucky that while my hubs was at university, he had some American housemates who got freaked out about him not rinsing dishes, so when he moved the states and started washing our dishes, all was good.  I didn't even realize it was a thing until I saw him mum wash and not rinse the dishes.... aaaaaaack!!   :-X
Married in UK - 31 Dec 2003
After lengthy US immigration, hubs moved to US June 2005. Now we are going the other way.
Hubs returned to UK - 14 Aug 2013
Application submitted - 12 Jan 2015
Biometrics appt - 20 Jan 2015
Package sent to hubs for addition of docs - 21 Jan 2015
Hubs mailed package - 31 Jan 2015
Royal mail confirmation - 2 Feb 2015
Receipt email from Sheffield - 3 Feb 2015
Decision made & courier info emails received - 13 Feb 2015
Visa received - 17 Feb 2015
Anticipated move date -  25 May 2015

• Musician, Songwriter, Artist, Author
    • Rachael Allen
« Reply #61 on: March 06, 2015, 07:33:03 AM »
LOLOL @ sonofasailor!  Thanks for the laugh this morning, what a picture!  ;D

I've never had 2 sinks to wash dishes, even in the USA. I run a tiny stream of hot water to rinse after using a soapy scrub sponge. Since I don't have many dishes, it probably uses just as much water as filling up a big plastic tub to put the dishes in. If you have 2 sinks and used one for rinsing (with a plastic tub in it), wouldn't you assume the water gets soapy by the time you dunk the 3rd dish into it to be rinsed? Just wondering.

I found this info while reading up on the topic:
"Soap doesn't sanitize. It just makes an emulsion that makes it easy for microbes and dirt and food to RINSE off. If you just wash and don't rinse your dishes, any of the soap having dried on the dishes retains the microbes and dirt it was GOING TO enable you to RINSE away."

• Liked: 533
« Reply #62 on: March 06, 2015, 09:05:32 AM »
LOLOL @ sonofasailor!  Thanks for the laugh this morning, what a picture!  ;D

I always think about being ill back then...maybe you have the plague....maybe just the flu (which can also kill you)...

Anyhow, you're feverish and you look up and that's the guy coming in to take a look at you. 

But you know the last time I went to the GP...for a stomach complaint...I ended up seeing the paediatrician. Which is fine. But she had on a smock with little bears and ballooons. I told here about my digestive woes, and she said, "So what part of your tum tum hurts.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 12
« Reply #63 on: March 06, 2015, 05:38:23 PM »
Yeah, those plague outfits could be really cool.   ;D
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

• Musician, Songwriter, Artist, Author
    • Rachael Allen
« Reply #64 on: March 06, 2015, 07:28:25 PM »
But she had on a smock with little bears and ballooons. I told here about my digestive woes, and she said, "So what part of your tum tum hurts.

Lmao!  You must be real fun at parties  :D ;D

« Reply #65 on: March 10, 2015, 07:22:37 PM »
I am Irish and i do rinse dishes,that is to say i will wash them in a bowl of hot water with suds, arrange them on the dish rack to drain then maybe use a jug to rinse them down with clean water. I dont want soap suds residue drying on my dishes and i dont have a dishwasher.

• Liked: 2
« Reply #66 on: May 19, 2015, 07:28:00 PM »

So I have been reading the forum for a while and this thread actually got me to register to write a reply!

I'm English and no one in my family, or friends or anyone I have ever met does not rinse the dishes after hand washing them with washing-up liquid.

Everyone I know has a plastic washing-up bowl in the sink - that's filled with hot water with soap. Then after you have washed the item you turn the tap on which is running down between the sink and the washing-bowl - that way you can rinse the item clean without adding more water to the bowl and diluting the soap.

Interested to know how many women are washing up without rinsing or is it mostly the UK husbands? I do have one male friend who washed up in cold water in front of me once.

I also wash items in a certain order - glasses first through to pans - washing things in the order they are most dirty. Cleaner stuff first. That preserves the bowl of water the longest and that does save water and soap.

• azroomie & james
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #67 on: May 19, 2015, 11:37:37 PM »
^^^  I am guessing you are a  minority in the  UK..
"Courage is the power to let go of the familiar." - Raymond Lindquist

• Liked: 12
« Reply #68 on: May 20, 2015, 07:18:00 AM »
I know 'someone' who also tends to wash his porridge bowl under the running tap -- usually cold.  Our kitchen is a long haul from the hot tank so it takes a while for the hot to get going.  In summer when we turn the boiler off and turn the immersion on briefly in the AM, it often means boiling the kettle to wash up.  I hate that.
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

• Liked: 585
« Reply #69 on: May 20, 2015, 07:37:29 AM »
also wash items in a certain order - glasses first through to pans - washing things in the order they are most dirty. Cleaner stuff first. That preserves the bowl of water the longest and that does save water and soap.

Snap.  I do the same- glasses first, then mugs and crockery, and then cutlery.  Then I dump out the dirty water and start a new batch of clean soapy water and do plastic containers, then saucepans, then frying pans.

• Tea And A Butty
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #70 on: May 20, 2015, 05:22:26 PM »
I thankfully have a dishwasher now. I did get a lot of take away food when I lived in Britain which bypassed the washing up, except for the cutlery which I washed under a cold tap!  :P

(I'm kidding....I washed them under the hot....sometimes....I think....)

• Liked: 1
« Reply #71 on: May 26, 2015, 05:04:59 PM »
My in laws rinse their dishes, but whenever anyone in the house other than me and my MIL wash dishes it seems they just can't do it properly. 99% of the time if I pull a supposedly clean pan out of the cupboard it's still lightly coated in bacon grease or little dried bits of what they obviously didn't wash away well enough. I just don't get it!

« Reply #72 on: May 29, 2015, 09:41:46 PM »
My in laws rinse their dishes, but whenever anyone in the house other than me and my MIL wash dishes it seems they just can't do it properly. 99% of the time if I pull a supposedly clean pan out of the cupboard it's still lightly coated in bacon grease or little dried bits of what they obviously didn't wash away well enough. I just don't get it!
I am still in the US, but have been married to my UK husband since 2001.  His mum visits, she uses pans and dishes that I rarely use. She does not rinse the suds and I will take a cake pan out of a cupboard 2 months after she leaves (I don't bake cakes regularly) and find mystery residue. I once couldn't locate a smell for ages after she visited and it turned out that a large stock pot I rarely use  had become a vegetable storage container of some sort. I think it was half a cabbage and a couple of potatoes just in there in their plastic bags.  That was grim.   I rinse dishes and hate particles.
Met in 1999 online
Married in 2002 on US Visa
Applied for UK Visa May 2015
Waiting dramatically for a response.
Plan to move to the UK Early Autumn 2015

• Liked: 533
« Reply #73 on: May 30, 2015, 11:43:41 AM »
a large stock pot I rarely use  had become a vegetable storage container of some sort. I think it was half a cabbage and a couple of potatoes just in there in their plastic bags.

That's one of those things where you lift the lid and stand there for a while trying to make sense of it.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Officially a UK Yank!! Established 2002
  • Liked: 38
« Reply #74 on: May 30, 2015, 04:13:35 PM »
I found the suds left in dishes strange at first too when moving to the UK. Funny how we all notice the same things. Since having a dishwasher now it has sorted things out !! 
My home for 18 years since June 2002. Became a citizen 2006

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab