Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: How are students supposed to survive??  (Read 1386 times)

• Liked: 0

• Liked: 47
Re: How are students supposed to survive??
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 10:46:14 PM »
Holy crap. Glad I'll be switching to the family route soon. I wouldn't have been able to join my partner at all if I weren't allowed to work on my Tier 4. My added part time income is the only thing that puts us over the income threshold right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
April 11, 2012-Began talking online
June 2012-Officially dating
August 2012-Met in person
Aug 2012-Nov 2012-Tier 4 (General)
Aug 2014-present- Tier 4
Oct 2015-Wedding!!! and spouse visa sometime after that and before the Tier 4 expires

• Liked: 544
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 10:58:50 PM »
Damn. Just another huge anti-immigration bit of legislature.

What about all the students who ACTUALLY want to study here. I bet there isn't all that much actual fraud. *sigh*
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 11:16:47 PM »
Yeah. I feel like the fraud is more on schools' parts rather than students. International fees are £13k a year, so the UK would be losing out on a lot of revenue. On top of that, the tiny bone thrown our way as international students where work visas are concerned is hardly big enough to make it easy to get sponsored. It's still really difficult to get sponsored work. Heck, I'm a lawyer back home that finding sponsored work here is an impossibility.  These proposed rules are utterly ridiculous. Hopefully parliament see it that way too.

Aug 2014-present- Tier 4
Oct 2015-Wedding!!! and spouse visa sometime after that and before the Tier 4 expires

• Liked: 533
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 08:58:21 AM »
Well here in Cambridge the University has made great efforts to form partnerships with start-up/tech in order to maximise benefit from graduates. They have a department dedicated to trying to hold on to what is obviously a precious resource (native or foreign). It has been very successful.

These graduates - in the case of Cambridge, some of the best in the world - will go somewhere.

This government....I mean I know that I hold fundamentally different philosophical views...but they seem totally unconcerned (actively hostile?) about economic development in an area that everyone agrees will be the generator of future growth.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 09:07:57 AM by sonofasailor »
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 4993
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 09:33:51 AM »
This makes me sad.  Immigrant is such a dirty word in this country.  I completely support closing "bogus universities" but the rest seems harsh.  The UK will train some exceptional talent in their own universities and watch them migrate to other countries now.  All because they are non-EU.   :-[

• Liked: 18
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 10:33:10 AM »
I don't fully understand the rules for student or work visas (or even partially, for that matter), but just about every time I read about new immigration rules it seems to come down to money.  If you don't have enough of it, don't bother coming here.   :\\\'(

I fail to understand how letting students work part-time to support themselves leads to visa fraud... or did I misunderstand that?  ???
Here 2 years as of Oct. 1, 2016.

• Liked: 533
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2015, 11:32:35 AM »
I fail to understand how letting students work part-time to support themselves leads to visa fraud... or did I misunderstand that?  ???

Here is the logic flow:

foreign student------>something------->fraud

It works for almost anything:

Foreign visitor------->something-------->fraud
Guy with foreign sounding name------>something-------->fraud
worker injured in accident------>something------>fraud

I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2015, 11:40:41 AM »
Here is the logic flow:

foreign student------>something------->fraud

It works for almost anything:

Foreign visitor------->something-------->fraud
Guy with foreign sounding name------>something-------->fraud
worker injured in accident------>something------>fraud

Ahhhhh, now I get it.....

....it's political logic.    [smiley=argue.gif]

*sigh*

• Liked: 4993
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2015, 01:06:26 PM »
You know Becca!  How we all moved here to mooch off the NHS, live in council houses, claim benefits, and not contribute to the economy.   ;D

• Liked: 0
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2015, 02:48:34 PM »
You know Becca!  How we all moved here to mooch off the NHS, live in council houses, claim benefits, and not contribute to the economy.   ;D

And somehow also "steal" British jobs, while not contributing to the economy  :P

I'm glad these rules weren't in place while I was a student.  God help us if Theresa May ever becomes PM.
USC
Tier 4: Sept 2011-Jan 2013
First met: January 2012
Started Dating: 9 April 2012
Tier 4: Sept 2013-Jan 2015
Became engaged: 10 January 2015
Fiancee visa received: 1 June 2015
Flight booked!

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2015, 04:28:53 PM »

Exactly!  And don't forget how we American femmes fatales all descend upon their innocent British menfolk to suit our nefarious purposes!   ;D

(I had very mixed feelings when this was the vibe I got from the IO back in 2013 at Heathrow.  I distinctly remember staring at her in shock thinking, "Me? You think I'm here to steal a man?!?" I couldn't decide if I was more insulted or flattered. ;) )

• Liked: 3
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2015, 05:46:00 PM »
Is the "no work" bit for international students going to mean no online/remote working and no volunteering either, like it is for visitor visas? Because that would be a phenomenally stupid idea.

• Liked: 544
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2015, 06:58:12 PM »
Is the "no work" bit for international students going to mean no online/remote working and no volunteering either, like it is for visitor visas? Because that would be a phenomenally stupid idea.

No work usually means absolutely no work, even if it's not paid by anyone British. But we'll have to see what the legislation actually says. It's not a law yet! Or did I read the article wrong?
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2015, 12:23:46 AM »
This would also outlaw any sort of internship for course credit work as well, as my internship for credit was the only reason I needed a tier 4 a few years ago. People not doing that program who were on my course we're fine with just student visitor visas. That's a huge blow for a lot of study abroad type programs run by American universities over here.

Aug 2014-present- Tier 4

Sponsored Links