Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Travel insurance (to the U.S.)  (Read 1097 times)

• Liked: 0
Travel insurance (to the U.S.)
« on: July 21, 2015, 12:53:35 PM »
Hi everyone,

I am a US citizen living in the UK on a Tier 4 (General) visa. In December I'll be visiting the US for 20 days and would like to have some sort of health insurance while I'm there in case of any emergencies (I wouldn't need any routine doctor visits, this is for "just in case").

While booking my trip I've been offered a few different travel insurance plans but all require that I be registered with a GP in the UK (I am) and that I be a permanent resident (I don't believe a Tier 4 counts). Perhaps I'm not looking at the right companies, but I was a little surprised to see that any of them have the permanent residency requirement and I don't want to accidentally purchase a policy that I can't use.

Any recommendations for a health insurance/travel insurance provider that I could/should go with for my trip back home?

Thanks!
2014-2015: Tier 4 #1
2015-present: Tier 4 #2

• Liked: 3595
Re: Travel insurance (to the U.S.)
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 01:25:15 PM »
You just have to search around for a travel insurance company that doesn't require you to hold ILR.

From looking at the wording on different websites, it seems they have different definitions for being 'permanent resident' compared to the UKVI definition of holding ILR.

For example, Endsleigh just says:

These policies can only cover permanent residents of the UK who are registered with a GP in the UK. To be considered permanently resident, you must have your main home in the UK and if in employment are registered for UK income tax

So I guess it depends how they define 'having your main home' in the UK.

Same goes with Boots Insurance:

Criteria for purchase

This insurance is sold on the understanding that you and anyone travelling with you and named on the schedule of insurance:
- Have not started the trip (see definition on page 11).
- Are a resident* of the United Kingdom or Channel Islands.
- Are not travelling specifically to receive medical treatment during your trip or in the knowledge that you are likely to need treatment.
- Will take all possible care to safeguard against accident, injury, loss or damage as if you had no insurance cover.
- Are not taking a trip which involves a cruise (see definition on page 10).

* We define a resident as being someone who has their main home in the United Kingdom or the Channel Islands and has not spent more than six months abroad in the year before buying this policy

I would also try STA Travel - they only require that you are registered with a GP and have lived in the UK for 3 months before taking out a policy:
Resident

A person who has their home in the UK, Channel Islands, Isle of Man or Republic of Ireland for at least three months before the policy was issued.
They must also be registered with a doctor in the UK, Channel Islands, Isle of Man or Republic of Ireland.

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 11:27:50 AM »
Thank you, that's really helpful. :) I've been in the UK for nine months so it sounds like I would probably qualify for all three. I'll shop around and keep an eye on how they define "resident."

• Liked: 170
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 01:27:31 PM »
I recently had a policy with 'travel and go.' I had a minor medical emergency (not life-threatening but needed to be dealt with urgently) the day before my wedding last year and they were great - they didn't have a locally approved centre so they said they would cover wherever I went for treatment. It was all very simple.

I am on a Tier 2 visa...
2004-2008: Student Visa
2008-2010: Tier 1 PSW
2010-2011: Tier 4
2011-2014: Tier 2
2013-2016: New Tier 2 (changed jobs)
16/12/15: SET (LR) successful! - It's been a long road...
12/05/16: Citizenship ceremony!

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 03:44:34 PM »
I recently had a policy with 'travel and go.' I had a minor medical emergency (not life-threatening but needed to be dealt with urgently) the day before my wedding last year and they were great - they didn't have a locally approved centre so they said they would cover wherever I went for treatment. It was all very simple.

Thank you for the recommendation. I ended up purchasing a plan through them.  ;D

Sponsored Links