Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: When Brits insult American food  (Read 4446 times)

• Liked: 533
Re: When Brits insult American food
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2015, 06:10:08 PM »
In all seriousness....£12 for a dominos cheese pizza?

Dough: .05
Sauce: .08
Cheese: .44

Total: .59
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 47
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2015, 06:30:06 PM »

In all seriousness....£12 for a dominos cheese pizza?

Dough: .05
Sauce: .08
Cheese: .44

Total: .59

I have to agree with you there. Takeaway pizza is astronomically priced over here. We will only get it if we have a 50% off voucher., whereas back home having a coupon was nice, but not necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
April 11, 2012-Began talking online
June 2012-Officially dating
August 2012-Met in person
Aug 2012-Nov 2012-Tier 4 (General)
Aug 2014-present- Tier 4
Oct 2015-Wedding!!! and spouse visa sometime after that and before the Tier 4 expires

• Liked: 0
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2015, 07:08:32 PM »
My MIL is exactly the same.  It's a damned shame.  I think there's an entire generation of Home Econ. teachers out there who ought to be tried in the Hague.

Love this! I couldn't agree more! And I've had plenty of good American food ruined by a poor cook!

And as for Brit food in general...really, who does pastry better? I've not been to France so maybe but the French but it'd be hard to make it better enough for me!  Fish n Chips? I've eaten them all over the US and nothing compares to what I've eaten in the UK, both England and Scotland.   Yorkshire puddings? *swoon* I could go on and on. I can't stop with out an ode to the coffee.  I have only ever had one bad cup of coffee in the UK.  You can go to grocery store (Sainsbury) or a garden center (Dobbies sp) and get an actual barista made cup of coffee...try that at Kroger! (or your local American grocery)

• Tea And A Butty
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2015, 07:37:48 PM »
I've also noticed that a cafe with all day breakfasts/lunches and cups of tea/coffee are not common in supermarkets/grocery stores here in the States. Sure, you wander into Walmart and there might be a tiny McDonalds or Starbucks in it but....yeah. Not the same as a "homestyle" cafe.

I'm speaking as someone who lived in a small town in Wales which had Tesco and Asda within driving distance and where there was a big population of OAP's.

I haven't seen old people here in the US, what are you doing with them? *Twilight Zone music*

• Liked: 0
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2015, 07:43:14 PM »
Quote from:
I haven't seen old people here in the US, what are you doing with them? *Twilight Zone music*
[/quote

They're all in Kentucky  ;)

• Liked: 18
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2015, 09:11:02 PM »

I thought they were all in either Arizona or Florida?  ;)
Here 2 years as of Oct. 1, 2016.

• Liked: 19
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2015, 09:39:13 PM »
I've also noticed that a cafe with all day breakfasts/lunches and cups of tea/coffee are not common in supermarkets/grocery stores here in the States. Sure, you wander into Walmart and there might be a tiny McDonalds or Starbucks in it but....yeah. Not the same as a "homestyle" cafe.

I'm speaking as someone who lived in a small town in Wales which had Tesco and Asda within driving distance and where there was a big population of OAP's.

Find your nearest Denny's, Perkins, IHOP-- or Waffle House or Golden Corral, since you're in the South, I believe?  Anyway, find one, and head there around 10 am, or 4 pm.  You'll find the old men who sit there all morning, nursing their bottomless cups of coffee, or all the folks coming in for their early bird dinner specials.

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2015, 10:12:51 AM »
No eating too much because the food is right there on your plate and you don't want it to get cold, no awkward putting leftovers in a doggy bag, no thinking "do I really want to heat this mess up and eat it tomorrow when it will definitely not be as good?" Just give me enough to fill my belly and no more.

Just curious to understand why is it seen as awkward putting leftovers in a doggy bag? Could you explain a bit as I have seen quite a few people in the past mention that it's awkward or embarrassing to take home leftovers and I don't quite understand and would like to understand that view point a bit better?

Personally, I think some things heat up well and some things don't so I know what I should and shouldn't try to take home as leftovers. Some things will reheat quite well [if not in a microwave, inside an oven] so if I'm actually quiet chuffed if I can pay for one meal that tastes amazing and then get a free lunch the next day by reheating :)

Think it's hard as some people do tend to keep eating just because it's on the plate - we area all guilty of that from time to time. I try to think "will that be enough to have for lunch tomorrow?" and I stop before eating so much that it doesn't make sense to take home the sliver that's left, but that's just a personal thing.
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 4990
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2015, 10:28:01 AM »

I'm from Florida.  They are ALL there.  Trust me.  It's like your grandparents live in Ocala and THEIR grandparents live in Venice.

Sometimes you think the car in front of you has a headless driver.  Then when you pass (as they are likely going about 15mph in a 40), you see the smallest little old lady ever, who is probably sitting on a phone book desperately trying to look over the wheel!

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2015, 10:38:44 AM »
I'm from Florida.  They are ALL there.  Trust me.  It's like your grandparents live in Ocala and THEIR grandparents live in Venice.

Sometimes you think the car in front of you has a headless driver.  Then when you pass (as they are likely going about 15mph in a 40), you see the smallest little old lady ever, who is probably sitting on a phone book desperately trying to look over the wheel!

PMSL  ;D   I'm from the Northeast so even when we have old people, in the winter they ship off down to Florida... it is like THE spot! hahah
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 19
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2015, 11:56:55 AM »
Love this! I couldn't agree more! And I've had plenty of good American food ruined by a poor cook!

And as for Brit food in general...really, who does pastry better? I've not been to France so maybe but the French but it'd be hard to make it better enough for me!  Fish n Chips? I've eaten them all over the US and nothing compares to what I've eaten in the UK, both England and Scotland.   Yorkshire puddings? *swoon* I could go on and on. I can't stop with out an ode to the coffee.  I have only ever had one bad cup of coffee in the UK.  You can go to grocery store (Sainsbury) or a garden center (Dobbies sp) and get an actual barista made cup of coffee...try that at Kroger! (or your local American grocery)
I tend to avoid pastry here, unless I know for certain that it's vegetarian; can't stand the idea of lard/suet.

As for the fish & chips, yeah.  When it's good, it's the food of gods.  But it's not a new, or specifically UK thing to me.  I grew up with the Wisconsin Fish Fry every Friday night (and Wednesdays, during Lent.)  The cod & haddock might be fresher here (though we could always get fresh, local perch & walleye), but our WI beer batter was at least as good as anything I've had here.

As far as the coffee, maybe that's a regional thing.  I know most of the supermarkets in Madison had quite nice coffee bars, and the 'new' Hy-Vee that opened a year or so before I moved has a full sit-down cafe.  You order the food from the various deli counters, and they'd cook it to order.  I used to stop there for breakfast on my way home from 3rd shift, as it was faster and cheaper than other diners, and I could pick up my groceries at the same time.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

• Tea And A Butty
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2015, 05:55:29 PM »
Find your nearest Denny's, Perkins, IHOP-- or Waffle House or Golden Corral, since you're in the South, I believe?  Anyway, find one, and head there around 10 am, or 4 pm.  You'll find the old men who sit there all morning, nursing their bottomless cups of coffee, or all the folks coming in for their early bird dinner specials.

I went into a Denny's with my dad on the morning of my wedding day. Now that you mention it, I do recall that's where all the old folks were.

And of course, who could forget Florida? Immortalized by the Golden Girls as THE place to go as soon as you hit 65. (I'd never seen an episode of that show until I moved here, I don't remember it coming on in Britain and on Channel 4 they showed every sitcom the US produced it seems, I assume that's now Channel 5 that does that?)

• Liked: 3598
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2015, 06:00:05 PM »
Just curious to understand why is it seen as awkward putting leftovers in a doggy bag? Could you explain a bit as I have seen quite a few people in the past mention that it's awkward or embarrassing to take home leftovers and I don't quite understand and would like to understand that view point a bit better?

I'm not sure why exactly - it may just be a historical/cultural thing that is not easy to break out of.

I did come across a couple of news articles about why doggy bags aren't that common in the UK, maybe they can help shed some light:

BBC: Doggy bag: Why are the British too embarrassed to ask?

Telegraph: Why do the British have such a problem with doggy bags?

• Liked: 543
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2015, 06:24:07 PM »
I tend to avoid pastry here, unless I know for certain that it's vegetarian; can't stand the idea of lard/suet.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Okay, I have to say the best, most tender and flaky pie crust I have ever had is a lard crust my mom makes. It's amazing. It doesn't taste like meat or anything like that. The lard used is white and doesn't smell like anything. It basically looks like crisco.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 585
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2015, 08:31:49 PM »
I'm not sure why exactly - it may just be a historical/cultural thing that is not easy to break out of.

I did come across a couple of news articles about why doggy bags aren't that common in the UK, maybe they can help shed some light:

BBC: Doggy bag: Why are the British too embarrassed to ask?

Telegraph: Why do the British have such a problem with doggy bags?

LOL... I read those articles!
I always take my extra food home from restaurants, but of course I don't call it a 'doggy bag'!
I just ask if they can put it in a takeaway container for me.  Never had a problem, or been made to feel any disapproval.   :)

Sponsored Links