Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: FORM UKM Shipping and Return of Documents  (Read 4357 times)

• Liked: 0
FORM UKM Shipping and Return of Documents
« on: August 28, 2015, 11:48:52 PM »
Is there anyone that has gone through the British registration under Form UKM from the states recently?

My questions are how and who did you ship through?

How did you do it to make sure you get your documents back?

I've created an account through UPS.COM as suggested, but I cannot find anything that tells them how, where, when and what to send back to me?

Any help would be appreciated! Everything I seem to read is if you're based in the UK and I'm in NC. I've put on my form the address for the Atlanta consulate where I will be able to do my ceremony....

Also, can I turn my passport application/fees, in Atlanta,the day I do my ceremony??

• British by descent
  • Liked: 3
Re: FORM UKM Shipping and Return of Documents
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 05:14:31 PM »
I filed with the UKM form back in 2009. I think I included a SASE with my documents, which was used to send things back to me, but I also mailed stuff to the consulate in DC who forwarded on to Liverpool (whereas I think now you mail directly to the UK). I think I just sent everything via tracked mail.

I got my documents back when they approved my application (~2 months after applying). I do remember including a cover letter (of sorts) giving my contact info in case there were any questions/etc.

I applied from NC and they assigned me a citizenship ceremony in Atlanta. I ended up doing mine in DC (closer to my parents), and handed in my passport application the day of the ceremony (must have gotten lucky with timing as it only took 2 business days to get my passport).
Moved to London February 5, 2010

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 06:51:03 PM »
Thanks! Your post is a lot of the reason I have questions about the shipping and passport information. It seemed very easy and fluid, but nowadays, not so much. I don't know if we're just overthinking things and they'll just ship the documents back, we've also thought of having them ship the documents back to my parents in the UK, but we don't want to muddle the process any.  Thinking of calling the immigration office on Monday before we ship things out to get a little clarification.

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2015, 05:35:41 AM »
Wound up shipping the documents via UPS 2 day. Documents got there Thursday.
We got a return label through UPS and put that and a express envelope in the larger legal express envelope, so hopefully they'll use it to ship the docs back....sooner than later! What a great Christmas present to be done by the end of the year!!!

• Liked: 537
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2015, 12:33:11 PM »
Wound up shipping the documents via UPS 2 day. Documents got there Thursday.
We got a return label through UPS and put that and a express envelope in the larger legal express envelope, so hopefully they'll use it to ship the docs back....sooner than later! What a great Christmas present to be done by the end of the year!!!

Hi Blue Badger,
You got a return shipping label for your package return? Did you ship it to the UKVI from within the US or the UK? Or did you do the VFS shipping (which is through UPS)?
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2015, 01:51:48 PM »
 No, we used the account we made through UPS and got a return label, we were shown a price of how much it would be to send the things back to us and all.
I shipped from here in NC. I know there are some grey areas to where things may work a little differently being in the US as opposed to being in the UK. If the shipping return label doesn't work, we assumed they would just send everything back 2nd class royal mail as stated in the guide. We've seen where they have contacted folks via email and snail mail for more documentation or their biometrics info. We're just hoping my application is put together well, minimally, and is as straight forward as it seems :)

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2015, 05:56:13 PM »
No, we used the account we made through UPS and got a return label, we were shown a price of how much it would be to send the things back to us and all.
I shipped from here in NC. I know there are some grey areas to where things may work a little differently being in the US as opposed to being in the UK. If the shipping return label doesn't work, we assumed they would just send everything back 2nd class royal mail as stated in the guide. We've seen where they have contacted folks via email and snail mail for more documentation or their biometrics info. We're just hoping my application is put together well, minimally, and is as straight forward as it seems :)

Ah, I have a feeling you created one of the elusive "waybills." Because I just tried to create a shipping label for a package from my US UPS account and got an error message "Please update the address information to reflect a United Kingdom Ship From and Shipper address, and select a valid language for the country below.  Required fields are indicated with"

If the UPS account your using a UK one?

If you did create a waybill, others may love to know how you did it!
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2015, 03:31:01 PM »
I did it from the US, but with some guidance from UPS customer service. I couldn't do it the way you did either, until I did a "calculate time and cost". Once I got the quote of the cost it let me create a shipment that way and when I had finished it gave me the option of creating a return label, when I clicked on the option to do so, it gave me a return shipping cost and then I printed the label. It won't be charged to the account until they scan it on their end, which I think is the way it works anyway? My stuff is in Liverpool for UKM form, I don't know how this will differ from those doing Visas(my wife will experience that in a few months, fingers crossed) I'm hoping this works, but if not, its not that big of a deal to wait a few extra days.

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2015, 04:13:07 PM »
I think you created a waybill, which is awesome. Very few of us figured out how to do it. I just gave them my UPS number, it was easier.

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2015, 10:17:54 PM »
Well lets hope it works the same way when I go to do my passport and visas for the  family. Thank goodness I can put all the families visa paperwork into one package! It seemed pretty easy, as once I created the shipment there was a list of choices to do next and creating a return label was one of those.

• Liked: 2
  • Location: North Carolina on my way to Chipping Norton 3/16!!!
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2015, 08:25:41 PM »
Just so there's no confusion, I'm Bluebadger's wife, he and I are sometimes on very different schedules, we'll try to keep the crossover questions to a minimum :)

Just wanted to add quickly as well, I got an email from UPS yesterday advising me that i had an invoice waiting for me that wasn't due until September 14. When I checked the invoice, it was the invoice for shipping the package to the UK! It didn't charge until I manually paid it last night. I was wondering why the credit card didn't even show a hold on it. I paid the invoice, 4 days after my package had arrived....just seems strange to me :)

On another note, I have a question about biometrics....Is there a difference in registering for a BRP and simply giving your biometrics for naturalization purposes? Curious because another poster(bfrenchfry) has received a curious letter stating there are no biometric facilities in the US when I know there are USCIS application centers all over the US. I'm wondering if someone erroneously sent him a letter thinking he needed a BRP card and not just a fingerprint scan and photo taken....I have found what he is talking about, found the link that provides the rollout times of BRP worldwide(which they are way behind on apparently), but I'm not sure if it is the same thing, sorry for my ignorance if it is....
I am a North Carolina girl born and raised, yes I love sweet iced tea, Texas Pete and biscuits and gravy....but England is where my soul feels at peace and I can't wait to get there.

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2015, 09:59:40 PM »
On another note, I have a question about biometrics....Is there a difference in registering for a BRP and simply giving your biometrics for naturalization purposes? Curious because another poster(bfrenchfry) has received a curious letter stating there are no biometric facilities in the US when I know there are USCIS application centers all over the US. I'm wondering if someone erroneously sent him a letter thinking he needed a BRP card and not just a fingerprint scan and photo taken....I have found what he is talking about, found the link that provides the rollout times of BRP worldwide(which they are way behind on apparently), but I'm not sure if it is the same thing, sorry for my ignorance if it is....

Cloverbea, the other person, bfrenchfry, is doing a completely different application to get his naturalisation/citizenship (UKF) through a family member. If you want to know more details google 'applying for UKF'. It seems, from his posts, to require biometrics being done in the UK at this time.

To be honest, there isn't all that much different between getting your biometrics done in the US vs the UK. The US experience seemed to be a bit more thorough with having individual fingerprints scanned rather than having them all done at once. My biometrics here for my FLR (M) were done at a post office, which made me laugh.

edit: I didn't answer the question thoroughly.
edit: I looked up what applying for citizenship UKF actually was.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 10:11:25 PM by lyonaria »

• Liked: 2
  • Location: North Carolina on my way to Chipping Norton 3/16!!!
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2015, 10:15:48 PM »
I appreciate your input :)

I'm thinking its different as well, but I have yet to locate someone in the US who has successfully completed a UKM citizenship after the biometrics started to be required. I've also read that it isn't common to apply via UKM so I guess we'll see :)
I am a North Carolina girl born and raised, yes I love sweet iced tea, Texas Pete and biscuits and gravy....but England is where my soul feels at peace and I can't wait to get there.

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2015, 05:32:10 PM »
I appreciate your input :)

I'm thinking its different as well, but I have yet to locate someone in the US who has successfully completed a UKM citizenship after the biometrics started to be required. I've also read that it isn't common to apply via UKM so I guess we'll see :)

UKM and UKF are essentially the same forms, it's just a UK mother (UKM) vs a UK father (UKF) for a citizen born abroad.  I'd worry you may have the same problems as I am with registering the biometrics here in the US since it isn't for a visa, but instead for citizenship based on birthright.  I sure hope not though because I don't wish this process on anyone!

• Liked: 3
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2017, 12:28:31 AM »
...I have yet to locate someone in the US who has successfully completed a UKM citizenship after the biometrics started to be required....
I applied via UKM in September 2016 and was approved in early January 2017. I did my biometrics at a USCIS office near my home in Arizona.

Here's a timeline of my process.
Shipped materials to Liverpool (USPS priority express): 19 Sept 2016
Delivery made to Liverpool: 26 Sept 2016
Acknowledgment of receipt (email): 3 Oct 2016
UK requests my choice of location for biometrics: 8 Oct 2016
UK notifies me of appointment at USCIS: 12 Oct 2016
Biometrics given: 18 Oct 2016
Approval letter sent: 9 Jan 2017
Approval letter received: 24 Jan 2017

I'm now waiting to hear from the British Consulate General in Los Angeles to fix a ceremony time.

I hope this encourages you. Good luck!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 02:11:41 PM by orojim »

Sponsored Links