Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: How do I change my name after getting married in the UK?  (Read 2071 times)

• Liked: 0
How do I change my name after getting married in the UK?
« on: September 16, 2015, 09:19:04 AM »
Hi Everyone, I just got married here in the UK at a registry office to a British National. I'm a bit confused about going through the process of changing my maiden name to my married name while in the UK through the US Embassy. From what I have been reading it seems like I simply have to fill out the SS-5 Social Security form and include my passport and my UK Marriage License. Then I have to apply for a new passport. Is that all I need to do to legally change my maiden name to my married name?

• Liked: 4985
Re: How do I change my name after getting married in the UK?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 09:23:47 AM »
Hi Everyone, I just got married here in the UK at a registry office to a British National. I'm a bit confused about going through the process of changing my maiden name to my married name while in the UK through the US Embassy. From what I have been reading it seems like I simply have to fill out the SS-5 Social Security form and include my passport and my UK Marriage License. Then I have to apply for a new passport. Is that all I need to do to legally change my maiden name to my married name?

I would do the passport first as the social security card will likely take quite some time.

If you change your name on your US passport, you will need to have your name changed on your UK visa.  Is your visa a sticker in your passport or a BRP?

• Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 09:35:04 AM »
Currently I am on a Tier 4 student visa since I am doing my Masters here so it is just a sticker on my passport- I was told that as long as I carry both my old and new passport I would be okay by the UK home office. I am planning on applying for a spousal visa to stay in the UK before my student visa expires but I thought that it would be better to change my name first since my passport is due to expire in April. How long does it take to get my name married name reflected on my passport and do I just need to send in my original marriage certificate?

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2015, 10:30:46 AM »
Currently I am on a Tier 4 student visa since I am doing my Masters here so it is just a sticker on my passport- I was told that as long as I carry both my old and new passport I would be okay by the UK home office. I am planning on applying for a spousal visa to stay in the UK before my student visa expires but I thought that it would be better to change my name first since my passport is due to expire in April. How long does it take to get my name married name reflected on my passport and do I just need to send in my original marriage certificate?

Unfortunately that is incorrect information.  The name on your passport and visa must match.  The old passport/new passport is okay if the old passport has expired and has your documents in it, but the name still must match.

Usually takes about a month to get your new passport.  You apply through the embassy for a renewal and include your marriage certificate to reflect your new name.

Sponsored Links