Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Pet Insurance  (Read 1528 times)

• Liked: 1
Pet Insurance
« on: January 28, 2016, 01:13:35 AM »
This seems to be more of a thing here than in US. Anyone have it?  Good? Bad?  Do you bundle it with tenant or home insurance for better deals?  So many companies, not sure to start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 4985
Re: Pet Insurance
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 11:27:15 AM »
I don't have it as my kitties are more mature.   ;)  I refuse to call them old (they are 14 and 15 but I'm sure have MANY MANY years left in them).

I looked into insurance when I moved here and at their ages it was INSANELY expensive.  If I had a young pet I would consider it.  I don't know if the premiums rise as the pet gets older?

But I don't usually buy optional insurance type stuff.  I don't insure my mobile phone, my tyres, or mortgage payments.

My home insurance has an additional jewellery policy as I have some expensive pieces.  That's my only extra.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 12:25:14 PM »
I'm of the same frame of mind as KFdancer in that I tend to avoid all those extra insurance policies that they try to sell you these days!  ::)

Also agree that probably only worth considering if your animal is fairly young and in good health.  Your vet may be able to recommend the company that they prefer.

When our old girl died, we adopted two kittens here. When I enrolled them with our vet, we were given a month of free insurance. I did actually give that one some serious thought.

One of my British friends told me that what she does instead of insuring her animals, is to have a standing order for roughly the same amount as the insurance would be, paid  into one of her own savings accounts. The theory  being, the money is then there to pay for treatment if you need it and if not, you have saved a nice little nest egg!

Of course, I decided not to take the insurance and one of the little ones developed a murmur at around 6 months so now I have to fork out for (outrageously expensive) cardiology check ups!       It's the chance you take though...do you feel lucky? ;D

• Liked: 13
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2016, 07:40:59 AM »
Idk if it's a bigger deal over in the UK or not but we had pet insurance for her here in the US and set it up for her in the UK as well. The cost was approximately the same for the premiums and I have a senior pet. Really it's mostly for accidents and illnesses, which when you need it, is great, and feels like a useless expense when you don't. It's a personal choice, though, and I've had several friends go the savings route that Larabee's friend suggested too. Personal preference, I say! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Spouse Visa Granted: 20 January 2016 - Arrived in UK: 27 February 2016 - FLR(M) Granted: 12 November 2018 - LiTUK Test Passed: 6 March 2021 - ILR Application Submitted: 13 March 2021 - Biometrics: 10 April 2021 - ILR Approved 25 August 2021 - UK Citizenship Application Submitted: 20 September 2021 - Biometrics: 12 October 2021 - Email Invite to Citizenship Ceremony: 15 November 2021

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 10:06:30 AM »
I know this is a older thread but just wanted to say that I got our dogs pet insurance from Confused.com. I found tons of really good insurance policies for her that didn't cost much at all and we got the Brian robot toy (she hated that lol). I think it's really up to the individual. We got the insurance because we were looking to buy a house (and have since purchased one) so the idea of putting spare money aside just in case of emergency for the pet specifically (we do have a "rainy day" fund, so to speak) just wasn't in the cards when we knew we could pay £100 give or take for a whole year of insurance. Other people might prefer this method as they know it's unlikely they'll need it. I didn't want to take the risk, especially as our dog does go off-lead in the woods etc. I would definitely recommend Confused.com or any of those other comparison sites because you really can get some good deals and it's easy  :)
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab