Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Help to Buy/Mortgage questions and disclosing US debts  (Read 1250 times)

• Liked: 13
Help to Buy/Mortgage questions and disclosing US debts
« on: April 17, 2016, 02:41:03 PM »
Hi Everyone,

As I've been getting settled here in the UK with my husband, we're starting to think and talk about future plans. Among these plans is our desire to buy a house. My in-laws have suggested that Help to Buy ISAs and the Help to Buy Shared Ownership scheme may be options for us, but I have some questions that may belong here or in the money section of the site (not sure which but as these have to do with housing, I put it here). The websites are not clear on some of these matters, and I wasn't sure if others out here have been in the same situation:

- Help to Buy ISA - do I have to wait until 183 days of being here before I can open one up so I can be considered a UK resident?

- Shared Ownership - there's an application to get approved for this scheme, but as we were filling it out, there are detailed questions regarding if we owe loans and credit card debts, how much in GBP, etc. We owe debts in the US which we are paying currently, but are we supposed to disclose this information on these applications since pulling a credit report here in the UK will not reflect US debts and our repayments? We have credit here in the UK, but do not carry a balance. Additionally, I have a significant US student loan that is currently on forebearance (payments are on hold temporarily). Will I need to disclose this information? I am very concerned that it will hinder or entirely prevent our ability to be approved for a mortgage or for these housing schemes because of my US debts, specifically.

Just hoping someone has some insights...

Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 02:42:05 PM by girlwithapuck »
Spouse Visa Granted: 20 January 2016 - Arrived in UK: 27 February 2016 - FLR(M) Granted: 12 November 2018 - LiTUK Test Passed: 6 March 2021 - ILR Application Submitted: 13 March 2021 - Biometrics: 10 April 2021 - ILR Approved 25 August 2021 - UK Citizenship Application Submitted: 20 September 2021 - Biometrics: 12 October 2021 - Email Invite to Citizenship Ceremony: 15 November 2021

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab