Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: No Shortage of Root Beer Yet  (Read 9121 times)

• Liked: 18
Re: No Shortage of Root Beer Yet
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2016, 09:26:27 AM »
Does anybody remember Virgil's Root Beer?  I ate at a BBQ joint in Southend-on-the-sea last night (that was really decent!) and they served Virgil's.  The confusing thing for me is that it had sweet birch in it and said it was originally brewed in the north of England, but imported from the U.S.  So I am not sure how this restaurant was able to import the stuff but I had one in everyone's honor and it wasn't bad.  The BBQ was better!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
American married to British Citizen, living in Colorado.  Moving to Hampshire/Berkshire area.

• Liked: 8
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2016, 11:58:09 AM »
Some Chinese/Asian food shops sell A&W Root Beer since apparently, in places like Singapore and Malaysia, they like it. I go to one in Portsmouth whenever I "feel the craving".

Otherwise, the one at Tesco is excellent.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 12:01:09 PM by Californiaguy »

• Liked: 7
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2016, 01:03:25 PM »
You can get 24 Can packs of A&W root beer in "Wing Yip" Asian supermarket.

Address: 544 Purley Way, Croydon, London CR0 4NZ
Phone:020 8688 4880

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2016, 01:04:34 PM »
San Francisco? VW van? Summer of love perhaps?

Nah, I'm not that old!  And I can't be defined by those tired old cliche's. 

I did work at a hang gliding school in the Bay Area and one bored afternoon found an old picture in the back of a drawer.  It was three of the guys I worked with, all with ZZ Top beards and wearing flight suits that said "Super Fly". I asked the (then clean cut) owner and he told me the first incarnation of this school was indeed the Super Fly Hang Gliding School, headquartered in the hills above Santa Cruz.  The school disbanded when the vegans moved to a different commune.  Those were the days!

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2016, 01:07:16 PM »
Can I get an address for that BBQ place?

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2016, 09:54:54 AM »
Sure, the smoked sausage was some of the best I've had since TX (many a BBQ joint visited all over the US).  Don't go in there thinking you'd get Elgin or Kreutz but I was pleasantly surprised. The ribs were also good.  Now if I could find somewhere that does brisket...
http://www.gallacherssmokehousebarandgrill.co.uk/phone/index.html

American married to British Citizen, living in Colorado.  Moving to Hampshire/Berkshire area.

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2016, 10:24:27 AM »
Thanks, I'll add it to the list.

• Liked: 533
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2016, 10:42:39 AM »
Nah, I'm not that old!  And I can't be defined by those tired old cliche's. 

I did work at a hang gliding school in the Bay Area and one bored afternoon found an old picture in the back of a drawer.  It was three of the guys I worked with, all with ZZ Top beards and wearing flight suits that said "Super Fly". I asked the (then clean cut) owner and he told me the first incarnation of this school was indeed the Super Fly Hang Gliding School, headquartered in the hills above Santa Cruz.  The school disbanded when the vegans moved to a different commune.  Those were the days!

I've never been to San Francisco, but my friend told me he was there in the 90's and he got lost a bit trying to find an address. He found a little garden park thing and was on a bench trying to figure out his map and some guy approaches and asks if he could help.

He turns, it's a kindly voice, and there is an old portly guy, butt nekkid mind you....except for hiking boots, a backpack and a floppy hat. There were other people walking around enjoying the sun...no big deal.

It wasn't a pick up or anything...just a friendly old nekkid guy.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2016, 10:44:53 AM »
My brother is finishing a post doc at UCSF and the first week he was there I got about 3 different shots of naked people randomly walking around. Says a lot about the mild temps.

No Shortage of Root Beer Yet
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2016, 11:11:52 AM »
When I lived there, people recommended that I go to a place called Harbin Hot Springs, where they have natural pools of hot water.  They also mentioned it was clothing optional but I didn't listen hard enough to that bit.  Me, my future wife and an ex female room mate pile into the bus and drive to Napa Valley.  Once we were there, we quickly found out that nobody was taking the clothing option.  There was only one locker room.  That was certainly a new experience for a innocent North Carolina boy. 

The biggest problem was that they were all being Zen and waving around crystals when I was like "yeehaaa, I'm but naked in a giant hot tub with 150 naked people!!!!!"  I was thinking beer and naked cannonballs and they were going on about Chakras
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 11:16:20 AM by jimbocz »

« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2016, 11:20:14 AM »
My brother is finishing a post doc at UCSF and the first week he was there I got about 3 different shots of naked people randomly walking around. Says a lot about the mild temps.

Remember the naked hiker guy we've got in the UK?  He doesn't care about temperatures.

• Liked: 533
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2016, 12:22:29 PM »
The biggest problem was that they were all being Zen and waving around crystals when I was like "yeehaaa, I'm but naked in a giant hot tub with 150 naked people!!!!!"  I was thinking beer and naked cannonballs and they were going on about Chakras

Zen person: You must open yourself to the powers of Osiris. Open yourself!!
You: Ma'am, if it's ok with you, I I I think I'll stay closed for a little while longer...
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2016, 03:01:27 PM »
Ha!

• Liked: 537
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2016, 08:25:10 AM »
When I lived there, people recommended that I go to a place called Harbin Hot Springs, where they have natural pools of hot water.  They also mentioned it was clothing optional but I didn't listen hard enough to that bit.  Me, my future wife and an ex female room mate pile into the bus and drive to Napa Valley.  Once we were there, we quickly found out that nobody was taking the clothing option.  There was only one locker room.  That was certainly a new experience for a innocent North Carolina boy. 

That sounds a bit like some of the hot springs in Colorado. (I just spelled that with a u... *facepalm*) There's a hot springs called 'Orvis' where they have small pools and some larger and it's clothing optional. I've never been, but the one time my mom went with my dad (they both wore swimsuits) she saw one of my exes in the buff. HAHA. I laughed so hard when she told me that.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2016, 04:36:42 PM »
Back to the root beer thing, there was some A&W on the shelf at Tesco.  Are you sure that ban has been implemented?

Sponsored Links