Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Separation/divorce from US expat who had ILR but returned 2 US several years ago  (Read 1587 times)

• Liked: 0
Hi,

Looking for a bit of advice please.

Don't want to go into things but in a nutshell, I married an America who moved over to the UK.  They had gained ILR but I separated from my husband several years ago.  Our marriage broke down beyond repair and he moved back to US in late 2012.

I haven't spoke to him in several years now and have no way of contact or current address as we do not speak to each other.

Can I still divorce without an address for them and how would I do about it?

Was thinking of waiting at least 5 years as believe 5 years is minimum you have to wait before can divorce without protest?

Is this right?

Don't want to drag it up but would like to move on  just not sure process, given we don't talk any more and not living in UK.

Any help appreciated greatly,

Sash

• Liked: 47
I have no idea about UK divorce law but if you're talking US then it will depended on the state in which they live since divorce laws vary from state to state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
April 11, 2012-Began talking online
June 2012-Officially dating
August 2012-Met in person
Aug 2012-Nov 2012-Tier 4 (General)
Aug 2014-present- Tier 4
Oct 2015-Wedding!!! and spouse visa sometime after that and before the Tier 4 expires

• Liked: 0
I have no idea about UK divorce law but if you're talking US then it will depended on the state in which they live since divorce laws vary from state to state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I live in the UK and he moved from US to here when we married but he has moved back to US and have no idea which state he lives in now or whether UK or US divorce laws would apply but surely others have been in this situation and can advise please?

• Liked: 85
A quick Google shows that, even if your marriage took place abroad, you can likely file for divorce in the UK: http://www.divorce-rights.co.uk/habitual-residence-and-domicile.html

And Gov.uk has clear steps for divorce in absentia:
https://www.gov.uk/divorce-missing-husband-wife

However, it's probably best to speak to Citizens Advice Bureau or a lawyer who knows their international divorce law, to confirm whether you can proceed with this plan, just in case.

Sponsored Links