Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Health Insurance for Dual Citizen Student going to Study in USA  (Read 1977 times)

• Liked: 0
My daughter has been accepted on an international exchange year to go from her UK university to study abroad in the US for a year.  Has anyone had any experience purchasing study abroad insurance for the USA when the person going has US/UK dual citizenship as insurers are telling me it is not available for US citizens going to USA.  We have never had a problem with short term travel insurance and I can't find anyone to help me insure her.  I also do not know what her status under Obamacare would be.

• Liked: 3595
Re: Health Insurance for Dual Citizen Student going to Study in USA
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 03:23:19 PM »
I did a study abroad year in the US and took out Endsleigh study abroad insurance, but I'm only a UK citizen and not US... So I don't know what their requirements are in that case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 08:10:39 PM »
I would get the University to consult their underwriter, or contact them yourself, so that you get correct information.

As Ksand24 mentioned Endsleigh I took a quick look at their website and found the following:

"Travel Eligibility Statements

Are the insured residents of Channel Islands or Isle of Man?YesNo

If the insured are a resident of the Channel Islands or Isle of Man, we are unable to provide cover for your trip.

You are:

A permanent resident of the United Kingdom
Registered with a Medical Practitioner in the United Kingdom
Travelling from and returning to the United Kingdom
A student studying abroad as part of a College or University degree or similar recognised qualification
Any trip that has already begun when you purchase this insurance will not be covered

If you do not agree with the above statements unfortunately we are unable to provide you with cover for your trip(s)."

I didn't look at the coverage so don't know if its suitable. Good luck, insurance is a bear.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2016, 12:48:18 PM »
Ughh the situation seems to be more complicated.  I am still waiting on clarification from Endsleigh underwriters but not sure where I stand on US healthcare legislation.  I think I will have to move over to the tax forum with some questions.

Thanks for replies.

• Liked: 676
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 08:44:15 PM »
I realize this topic is very old, but want to offer some advice for anyone who might need it in the future:

Most universities in the USA have a health-insurance program for admitted students. For many, it's mandatory coverage, with an associated fee.  They also may be able to steer a foreign student to one of their  preferred private insurance providers.  Your first move for health cover for a student coming to the USA should probably be to check the institution's website for guidance. Private health cover in the USA can be ridiculously expensive, and while the Uni's plan may not be cheap, it will probably cost much less than a private plan.

Because your daughter is a US citizen, she may run into requirements associated with the Affordable Care Act if she's in-country for an extended period of time.  My experience is that quite a few of the Uni insurance programs meet the requirements.

Best wishes - N
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 08:49:22 PM by Nan D. »

Sponsored Links