Author Topic: Moving back with daughter and not husband  (Read 1115 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline bunnymommy

  • *
  • Posts: 22
  • Joined: Dec 2010
  • Liked: 0
Moving back with daughter and not husband
« on: May 13, 2016, 10:57:19 AM »
Hello everyone,

I moved to the UK about 5 years ago and after a very rocky marriage husband and I have decided to separate and I will be moving back to the US with my daughter so that I can finish my university degree that I put on hold when I moved to the UK. Does anyone know what I have to do in order to move with my daughter to the US? I was planning on getting a notarised letter from her dad stating that I have his permission to take my daughter into the USA, but do not know if the letter should include how long we are intending to stay or anything like that.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Do I need a solicitor for this, or is a letter from the dad suitable? TIA!

Offline KFdancer

  • *
  • Posts: 11993
  • Joined: Jun 2012
  • Location: Wokingham
  • Liked: 2524
Re: Moving back with daughter and not husband
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 11:53:37 AM »
I would get an official agreement from a solicitor drawn up so that you don't have any issues if he raises his rights under the Hague Convention.

Sorry that you are going through this and I hope it all works out.

Offline ShakeShack

  • *
  • Posts: 55
  • Joined: Nov 2013
  • Liked: 2
Re: Moving back with daughter and not husband
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 10:08:25 PM »
I'm glad for you that your husband is not contesting custody at this point, but that could change in the future. My recommendation is that you call up several family law solicitors and try to obtain as much information as possible. Usually solicitors will speak with you for a few minutes and offer free information to land you as a client. If you feel comfortable with one of them, I think paying for a half hour consultation is an excellent investment. Custody of your child is so important that it's worth doing everything by the books.