Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Frustration  (Read 1306 times)

• Smiley Gifts World
  • Liked: 1
Frustration
« on: November 17, 2004, 01:36:49 PM »
Let me begin by saying-- I know I haven't been looking for a terribly long time---BUT! I am beginning to become a bit frustrated with the job hunting scene. I have 7 years experience as a teaching assistant in the US and some certifications and education to go along with the job. However; I can't seem to even get an interview here :(. There was one job in particular that was exactly what I have been doing for 7 years....I went to the school and spent a morning in the classroom..I feel I made a good impression on the classroom staff-- yet still didn't get an interview.
My gut instinct is it is just easier for them to look at someone with a local history-- with criminal clearances here in the UK with National Insurance number in place...etc.

Any tips? Any ideas? Any of the job recruitment places I have been able to find for this field aren't in this area-- they are all more London based.

anybody need a criminal clearance for their job? if so, how hard to get it when you don't have 5 years in the UK?

Thanks for any help...or even just for letting me moan before I move on to trying again.

Helena

• Liked: 2
Re: Frustration
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2004, 01:58:54 PM »
Helena

The WHOLE process is slower than molasses in winter.  Trust me! ;)

• Officially a Brit.
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2004, 02:48:10 PM »
How 'bout all us job seekers have a huge ol' pity party right about now cuz there's no doubt that this SUCKS!
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2004, 02:58:16 PM »
i wish you all the best luck.

i know i was lucky getting mine after only 6 weeks (6 loooong weeks to me).  it's a bear out there.  :(

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2004, 04:22:31 PM »
HG, I too am trying to get a job in a school and i've been at it for 3 months now in a relatively quiet town without many school jobs. The thing is, every Mother around wants to be a TA. You get the perks of getting out early for your kids and not working any holidays and summer, so you can damn well bet that your application for TA is probably alongside many, many others. 

I personally would rather do admin in a school than TA, but i've just applied for a TA position and I will be VERY interested to see if I get shortlisted for it. The person who just left that job is a fellow American friend of mine who was also a teacher like myself in the states, many many, many moons ago. So I dont get shortlisted, i'm going to do some serious self-hate. >:(

I got a police disclosure when I was doing playgroup committee work and I didnt find it difficult at all. 

Are there lots of teaching jobs in your area??? If you are having trouble finding ones in the paper, try your local council website. They usually have school vacancies listed there on TA positions that might not be advertised in the local paper...
« Last Edit: November 17, 2004, 04:25:13 PM by Hopster »
"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford." - Samuel Johnson

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2004, 05:36:22 PM »
Just FYI, a 3 month job search is not very long, even in your own country.

• Smiley Gifts World
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2004, 05:49:28 PM »
HG, I too am trying to get a job in a school and i've been at it for 3 months now in a relatively quiet town without many school jobs. The thing is, every Mother around wants to be a TA. You get the perks of getting out early for your kids and not working any holidays and summer, so you can damn well bet that your application for TA is probably alongside many, many others. 

I personally would rather do admin in a school than TA, but i've just applied for a TA position and I will be VERY interested to see if I get shortlisted for it. The person who just left that job is a fellow American friend of mine who was also a teacher like myself in the states, many many, many moons ago. So I dont get shortlisted, i'm going to do some serious self-hate. >:(

I got a police disclosure when I was doing playgroup committee work and I didnt find it difficult at all. 

Are there lots of teaching jobs in your area??? If you are having trouble finding ones in the paper, try your local council website. They usually have school vacancies listed there on TA positions that might not be advertised in the local paper...
Hi -- yes there seems to be several vacancies and I have been using the council website which is wonderful! I just can't seem to get on that wonderful shortlist in order for me to try to sell myself. Yes you are right- it is the ideal job for moms just hoped/ thought my experience would count.
Not giving up-- have contacted the local supply service in hopes they will give me the foot in the door that I am looking for!

Thanks for everyone's support-- and good luck to all the fellow job hunters!

• Officially a Brit.
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2004, 06:26:23 PM »
Just FYI, a 3 month job search is not very long, even in your own country.

I don't think we are disputing that. And I've been looking much longer than 3 months anyway.  :-\\\\ We're just having a bit of a moan, that's all.  :)
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2004, 06:37:40 PM »
Understood :)

• Maui Wedding Planning and Coordination
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2004, 04:46:48 AM »
I'm afeered! The DH has given me a week to find a job, which if I were staying here in Maui, is easy enough. I can walk out and find an absolutely smashing, high paid one in a day, but to do that in a different country where I'm not familiar with the business culture and the industry needs and wants - I THINK IT'S CRAZY! So, I guess I get a really crap job and then use my days off to find a better one I'll like and can build a career in. I'm not in England yet, but hope to be soon - so I'll come MOAN with you all about husband's expectations and my soon to be new, poo job or lack thereof!  :-\\\\

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2004, 11:01:58 AM »
I dont think I follow your post? You have a week to find a job in Maui?  Or you are moving here and only being given a week to find a job???? 

I dont think a week is a terribly realistic figure.. Surely he was teasing you a bit? ???
"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford." - Samuel Johnson

• Journal
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2004, 11:33:37 AM »
Hopefully he was just teasing.  I mean, a week?  In a week, you'll be over the worst of the jetlag and just learning where everything is.  He can't possibly expect you to get a job that quickly. 
"I will do this.  Nothing in my life matters except this.  I am born in this moment, and if I fail, I will die in this moment."  -Raistlin Majere

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab